Raspberry Pi's IR Sensor
Hello
You may laugh at this question,
I recently bought a Raspberry PI(B) installed already with Openelec. It was plug and play basically as someone already set it up for people like me with limited knowledge. It has xbmc installed on it and I love it. It came with an IR module sticking out of the case, and a cheap remote control which I have since ditched in favor of my android phone (yatse remote app).
I am now buying another one to fool around with and use it to learn more about it and I'm wondering this:
Do I need an IR sensor module installed on the Raspberry Pi in order to use my android phone as a remote?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.
No yatse works via WiFi, also raspberry pi supports CEC so if your tv is compatible and your connected up using a hdmi cable you may be able to control the pi through your television remote
Sweet!
I don't need to worry about the IR module then.
So the reason why the Pi I bought had the IR module installed was strictly to use the cheesy remote that came with it?
If i wanted to use a better remote, perhaps my tv remote, I guess I would need the IR module then?
yes, the RPI has no IR of it's own.

Was it this type of remote?

No, it wasn't quite like that, it didn't have a USB dongle.
It is (actually was...it's now in many pieces) a "TOSHIBA MCE TV HDMI HD MINI Media Player Remote Control backlight"
You can install a gpio ir module. I just bought three of them. There like 2$ a piece Here is a link to a guide.
Install GPIO IR Module

You dont have to use the ugly remote that the guide has.
The guide itself is great, thank you!
I was thinking of using one of these so there are no wires?

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m...nwwN9g.jpg

Finding a case which has the hole for the IR module might be difficult. I suppose I could just drill a hole out of an acrylic case...provided that the module is acceptable.
If your case has a gpio ribbon slip area, you can hide the wires inside and just have that ir sensor part sticking out. But that ir sensor looks nice to. Let us know how it works out if your buy it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi's IR Sensor0