Raspberry Pi founder has plans for a sequel in 2015
Next generation Pis could come in at $20 price point, but existing devices to be shipping until 2020.
Raspberry Pi Founder Eben Upton plans to launch a sequel to the hit $35 ARM-based handheld computer in 2015.

Upton, founder of the UK-based charity, and winner of the reader-voted IT Pro 2012 award for Tech Leader of the Year, told us that a portfolio of devices will develop over time, and the price of boards will likely drop to $20.

I expect the Model B to carry on shipping until 2020, but won’t be the lead model, it'll be part of a portfolio.
“We want to keep these platforms on active development for at least two more years. People are just starting to get value and power out of the Model B, which is why we won’t just rush out an upgrade. A hardware refresh in early 2015 is feasible,” he told IT Pro.

“We’re doing the Model A for $25 next year – I imagine in 2-3 years’ time it'll be possible to do a board for $20. But it will be difficult to get below $20, even if you make various components for free.

"In the end you’ve got to have a CPU, connectors, memory and a printed circuit board. Then you’ve got to pay to put them in a box, ship them around the world, and even though we are non-for-profit some of our partners have got to make some money.”

Upton suggested that the Foundation has no plans to make radical changes to the design, particularly the core component – a Broadcom BCM2835 SoC. The chip is based on ARM architecture and despite running at just 700MHz, it is capable of high-end tasks such as Blu-ray and H.264 playback at up to 40MBits/s.

Upton explained that the existing chip gives the right balance between performance, cost and efficiency.

“The existing processor has a lot of legs so we’re working hard to optimise the software. If you go back and run an April software image on a Pi and run an updated image, you wouldn’t recognise them as the same machine," he continued.

"If we picked another processor it would be more expensive and we’d probably see a drop in the graphics performance. Our aim is to step forward in every direction."

Despite the refresh in the pipeline, Upton said that users who have invested in a Model B ($35) or plan to buy the forthcoming Model A ($25) shouldn’t worry as software support will continue for a long time yet.

In fact, he is so confident in the longevity of the first generation models that he expects them to continue shipping until at least 2020.

“Even if we were to refresh the hardware we’d still support existing devices. I expect the Model B to carry on shipping until 2020, but won’t be the lead model, it'll be part of a portfolio,” he added.

“Given the choice between spending a little bit of money on every new Pi by putting a faster processor or spending more money to optimise the software for the benefit of all Pi users, it’s a simple decision.”

Upton told us that he expects one million Pis to be sold when the first anniversary rolls around in February 2013. Half of these boards are expected to have been made in South Wales, where a Sony manufacturing plant is currently producing 660 Raspberry Pis per hour.

Read more: http://www.itpro.co.uk/644701/raspberry-...z2xOTvzFPQ

First of I can't wait to fully upgrade to gotham for the Pi. I installed it on my pi and it was noticebly faster than frodo, but due to addons not yet compatible I'll wait. BUT

keeping the same Broadcom SOC, is that wise? the popularity of Raspberry Pi is arguably because of XBMC! but its so slow and things like NUC are coming with reduced price and also Cubox-i. Will people still buy the Pi? how much more can you optimise it to run on XBMC?

I also think Eben Upton is making the best decision to stick with the SOC. but if he wants to teach kids about hardware. shoudnt he move with the hardware and not use technology so old? Mobile computing is moving at a blistering pace. and what matters now might not matter in 5 years...

whats everyones thoughts? Is this good news for Raspberry Pi - XBMC??
This story is 15 months old. Does it still reflect current r pi foundation thinking?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
well spotted!! can't believe I missed that. and a very good question. I guess the founder will def think twice before making a decision. either way I think the Raspberry Pi wont be the defacto hardware for the best bang per bucks when the model c comes out
Pi will never be beaten on price, but increasingly people are going to want 4k (either playing 4k video to a 1080p screen, or to a 4k screen). Similarly hevc video. rpi will continue to be good value for what it does, but as people want more out of their htpc, it will become marginalized.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I haven't seen 4k so I'll reserve my judgement... I suspect it's mostly a gimmick in the same sense 720p is vs 1080p, though I might just be too flexible Wink
Yeah but don't underestimate the ease with which manufacturers and content providers can persuade people what they really need!
Well, "back in the day" if you bought a 720p TV, I suppose the sales dude could say "Oh wait, you're actually only getting part of HD. This FULL HD set will give you all of it as opposed to only a little piece of it!"

I honestly don't mind watching content in 720p what so ever Smile

4k is mostly a placebo effect much in the same way as 3D was for most people... As I said though, I will have to reserve final judgment until I actually see 4k with my own eyes.

I can imagine the memes saying the next thing will be over 9000. *badumpish*
I have to say that (although there are obviously many factores in play, such as bitrate, encoding parameters etc) that 1080p is preferable to 720p to my eyes on a 65 inch screen.

Or did I just post that to boast about my big TV?
I've always hated that the manufactures have decided to equate fidelity with resolution and not pixel density. The difference between 720p and 1080p isn't hard to see on a large screen. In terms of scale the jump from 1080 to 4k is huge. 4k is 2160p, which is double the vertical resolution of 1080p. Whereas 720p to 1080p is only 1.5 times the vertical resolution. As TVs get bigger 4k is definitely going to be a noticeable improvement.

Remember, a decade ago people were saying the SAME EXACT things about "HD" and look where we are now. Technology will always progress, even if it's not perceived to be better it will be the next progression and in 10 years be as common place and affordable as current "HD".
(2014-04-10, 19:06)freeskier93 Wrote: I've always hated that the manufactures have decided to equate fidelity with resolution and not pixel density. The difference between 720p and 1080p isn't hard to see on a large screen. In terms of scale the jump from 1080 to 4k is huge. 4k is 2160p, which is double the vertical resolution of 1080p. Whereas 720p to 1080p is only 1.5 times the vertical resolution. As TVs get bigger 4k is definitely going to be a noticeable improvement.

Remember, a decade ago people were saying the SAME EXACT things about "HD" and look where we are now. Technology will always progress, even if it's not perceived to be better it will be the next progression and in 10 years be as common place and affordable as current "HD".

Sure, but there's a limit to how much of a difference our eyes will perceive when immersed in a movie. The ratio between screen size to resolution or pixel density is of course a factor.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Raspberry Pi founder has plans for a sequel in 20150