Gotham .edl skipping problems
I'm quite nervous we're not going to see this in a .x release. While it doesn't sound like a huge problem, it effectively means no commercial detection which is a pretty big PVR feature.
Only for mplayer type EDL files, and only when skipping/jumping. For example, MythTV and Comskip are unaffected.
NPVR recordings, at least for me are affected. I don't know what type those are - must be mplayer? Maybe everyone is using MythTV and very few are using another PVR software.

That would be an interesting poll for the PVR forum to see who's using what.
(2014-06-06, 22:44)Ned Scott Wrote: Only for mplayer type EDL files, and only when skipping/jumping. For example, MythTV and Comskip are unaffected.

I'm using comskip and I'm affected. I'm not sure what you mean. What sort of comskip files aren't affected?
(2014-06-06, 23:01)bluenote Wrote:
(2014-06-06, 22:44)Ned Scott Wrote: Only for mplayer type EDL files, and only when skipping/jumping. For example, MythTV and Comskip are unaffected.

I'm using comskip and I'm affected. I'm not sure what you mean. What sort of comskip files aren't affected?

I thought I had tested comskip, but it seems I am mistaken. Thanks for the info.
Ticket updated with Comskip and NPVR info: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/15207#comment:4
Hey ned, I understand now, you were talking about txt files. I'm using comskip but generating EDL files. I've just switched over to txt to test and will report back.
Comskip .Txt format files do appear to work, thanks Ned I would never have known. I'm pretty sure this is not widely known.
I'll try that too, I assume it's either setting output_edl=1 to 0 or just commenting that out in the comskip.ini?
"output_default=1" is what you want to output .txt files which work
"output_edl=0" turns off the EDL files
AH! Thank you! I was just about to visit the Comskip forums and search for that.
I am seeing this with mythtv. I don't usually do commercial detection but I tried it on a show and observed these symptoms.

As I understand it xbmc's mythtv pvr generates an edl from the commercial points in the mythtv database. Beyond that I know nothing about how commercial skipping works between myth and xbmc.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I believe this has to do with the last column in the EDL files. Try manually editing an edl file and replace all the last column of 0s with 3s. i.e.
0.00 58.69 0
164.10 393.46 0

0.00 58.69 3
164.10 393.46 3

Now try playing the file in XBMC. It should behave like you expect. It will skip the commercials the first time playing, and will allow you to go back and watch if you desire. If you skip forward into a commercial it will advance to the beginning of the next segment. If this resolves the issue, you need to update comskip.ini and add the following line:
edl_skip_field=3 ; 0 - Cut, 1 - Mute, 2 - Scene Marker (if start and end times are specified, the end time is used), 3 - Commercial Break

edl_skip_field was introduced in comskip 0.81.052 so anything newer than that should work. If you use MceBuddy just download the new version of comskip, extract into the comskip folder under mcebuddy, then edit the comskip.ini file.

NOTE: Using the edl file This appears to break the "resume" functionality on raspbmc (works fine in windows). It asks if you want to resume but when it starts playing it starts from the beginning. I'm going to try the comskip.txt method.
While I do see the bug hasn't changed status, Im a little agog that this has persisted through another full release.
Anyone running Helix can comment whether this is still present?
Video resume is still broken on the pi if the edl file starts with zero. This is being tracked under bug 15352. This can be easily worked around by setting padding=1 in comskip.ini. I'm not sure about the last column issue. 3 is really the correct setting for indicating commercials and everything appears to behave properly when 3 is used.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Gotham .edl skipping problems0