{SOLVED] Why won't sources copy over?
I stupidly installed an older version of OpenElec and just reinstalled the new version. I deleted the sources.xml and vi'd a new one from what's in my database and I also vi'd my OpnenElec. I set wait for network and rebooted and no sources showed up. Shouldn't they be there because I pasted the info from my sources.xml ? Nothing shows up and I have to re-add them and they're scraping all over again. Isn't all that scraped data already in the database and the info I pasted from sources.xml supposed to be enough just to access it?
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
sources.xml pretty much only controls what is displayed under sources://video/ (i.e. Video->Files).

If something is rescraping it indicates that a new (perhaps only slightly different) source has been added.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Yeah that's what I mean. I have master files for my sources and advancedsettings files and I just deleted the sources and vi'd a new one with the contents of the one I'm using throughout the house. When I went to file, nothing was there. I had to re-add them but I might add re-scraping was unusually fast. I also found a misspelling ind my advancedsettings file. Could that have been the cause? Re-adding the sources, fixing advancedsettings, and rebooting had me back to normal in no time. I'm just curious why the sources didn't show up when I had copied over the sources file, unless the misspelling in the advancedsettings file had something to do with it.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
sources.xml does not tell the whole story. It basically contains a link to the content, but it doesn't include the other information that is set when you set a source via the gui (like whether it is Movies, TV Shows or Music Videos, what scraper to use etc).

Whether this is the fault with your methodology I don't know.

If you have a centralised mysql database (not sure if you do) then you don't even need sources set up on all the clients. Just point them at the dB in advancedsettings.xml. But only clients with sources set up will be able to initiate a scrape. This can be an advantage if you are OCD enough to NOT want the rest of the family to screw around updating the databases.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-30, 05:29)nickr Wrote: sources.xml does not tell the whole story. It basically contains a link to the content, but it doesn't include the other information that is set when you set a source via the gui (like whether it is Movies, TV Shows or Music Videos, what scraper to use etc).

Whether this is the fault with your methodology I don't know.

If you have a centralised mysql database (not sure if you do) then you don't even need sources set up on all the clients. Just point them at the dB in advancedsettings.xml. But only clients with sources set up will be able to initiate a scrape. This can be an advantage if you are OCD enough to NOT want the rest of the family to screw around updating the databases.

That I did not know. I did have my advancedsettings in there but with a misspelling so that must be why it didn't show the sources. I could have sworn you had to have the same advancedsettings and sources on each machine in the network for SQL. I do like to have this machine do the scraping of new movies so it's good to have it there. Thanks for your info.
The mysql settings in advancedsettings.xml needs to be on each client.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-03-30, 20:42)nickr Wrote: The mysql settings in advancedsettings.xml needs to be on each client.

I knew that, I just thought identical sources.xml's had to be on each machine as well.
(2014-03-30, 20:45)patseguin Wrote:
(2014-03-30, 20:42)nickr Wrote: The mysql settings in advancedsettings.xml needs to be on each client.

I knew that, I just thought identical sources.xml's had to be on each machine as well.

Only if you want to update the library or browse "files" from the machine, I often find myself browsing by file when I'm looking for a newly added video and don't want to wait for a library update
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2014-03-30, 21:08)Dilligaf Wrote:
(2014-03-30, 20:45)patseguin Wrote:

Only if you want to update the library or browse "files" from the machine, I often find myself browsing by file when I'm looking for a newly added video and don't want to wait for a library update

Ah, ok. I do want my living room PC to do scraping and then just show up in my bedroom. That's good to know though. Someone told me previously that all machines had to have the same source and advancedsettings files.

P.S. How would I set up smart playlists on a machine without the sources file? Would the sources just show up from the database?
smart playlists only work on files in the database as far as I know.
OK so in that case I would in fact need the same sources.xml on each machine if each one wants to use smart playlists...
No because you have acces to the database without sources.xml
Note that sources.xml is also used for a few other things, such as to determine access of things over JSON-RPC. i.e. that may then be client-specific if you don't have sources.xml across the board. It only effects the playing of files based off file path though I think - i.e. the library ofcourse is still available over JSON-RPC anyway.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

By the way, I installed xbmc beta 3 on my PC and just copied over the advancedsettings.xml and restarted it and then I saw all my movies and tv shows. I tried watching one and it told me that the file no longer existed and did I want to remove it from the library. I figured I had to have the sources and since my sources in the db are nfs, I tried adding nfs sources but it didn't work. Then I remembered that NFS is broken in Gotham? That must be why I couldn't play anything even though I could view it I'm guessing.
NFS is broken under windows in some cases (in particular, stat() is broken in various ways, so any file existence check *may* break).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
{SOLVED] Why won't sources copy over?0