Win Help no audio
Hi all,i'm new to the forum and XBMC.I downloaded a copy of xbmc yesterday,but couldn't get the audio to pass over HDMI to my AVR no matter what i tried to do,but did work over my laptop's speakers.So i uninstalled XBMC and downloaded another copy.Now i can't get any audio at all.
I own a Dell Studio 1747 w/ I7 processor,4Mbts.ram and running Windows7.It's connected via HDMI to a Denon 2310CI AVR.AFAIK,this AVR has all the latest audio codecs.
I went to system>settings>audio output,and experimented with various settings but nothing changes,still no audio.
I also tried changing some audio settings while watching a movie,but nothing changes.The only thing i found was thisTongueassthrough output device:Error-no output devices found.I tried for ~8hrs.yesterday to get XBMC to work,but all i got for my efforts was OTT angry and frustrated.Now i don't know what to do.I've already pulled all of my hair out,got drunk,and cursed XBMC out to no end.Even my cat got scared and hid.

I don't know what i'm doing wrong.Anybody have any ideas about how to resolve this problem??
I've Never had any problems passing audio from Any source thru my laptop to AVR before.Trying to use XBMC is the first time this has ever happened.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.JR.

PS:I have debugging enabled but BXMC does not seem to be logging anything.
Make sure that Windows and iGPU drivers are up to date and select HDMI audio output in Windows playback devices as shown below. You can follow procedures in this link "Windows - HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC" and some screen shots below to configure your laptop audio....

If you still don't have sound through AVR, you can try to manually disable laptop speaker in Windows playback devices....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Hi bluray thanks for posting.

I checked the audio drivers this morning.They're up to date.
I guess the 3rd.time's the charm cuz after i downloaded my 3rd.copy of XBMC i finally got the audio to work.
I tried both the WASAPI and ATI HDMI output on the other two copies i had but neither worked.
On the 3rd.copy i only got the audio over HDMI with ATI HDMI audio output.WASAPI doesn't work.
Thanks for your reply,you let me know that i'm (at least) on the right trail for correcting my audio issues.I think i have quite a bit of tweaking to do.
Now i have other XBMC problems to solve.I think i'll have quite a bit of "how to" reading to do.
(2014-03-31, 04:47)johninfla Wrote: On the 3rd.copy i only got the audio over HDMI with ATI HDMI audio output.WASAPI doesn't work.
Thanks for your reply,you let me know that i'm (at least) on the right trail for correcting my audio issues.
Yes, you are on the right track. Since you have a very capable AVR, you want WASAPI option to enjoy the full potential of audio quality.

Did you see all the supported formats in Windows as shown below? Make sure that exclusive mode is selected in Windows too. If you have option in your AVR, you can disable HDMI audio out to TV and turn off RIHD for now....

I've never seen what you've posted above(AMD HDMI output properties).I looked for it in my PC but no luck.
Don't know where to find it.Confused
(2014-03-31, 19:09)johninfla Wrote: I've never seen what you've posted above(AMD HDMI output properties).I looked for it in my PC but no luck.
Don't know where to find it.Confused
The easiest way to get to it is by right click the speaker icon on the bottom right corner of the screen, select Playback Devices, highlight Intel Display Audio and then click Properties.....
I followed your instructions,but Intel Display audio doesn't come up.I don't think i have an AMD audio device.
In Device Manager,under Sound,Video and Game Controllers there are listed these three things:
ATI Hi Def Audio device
IDT Hi Def audio Codec
PlayOn Virtual Audio Device

can i download/install the AMD audio device from somewhere,or is this hardware that needs to be installed??
(2014-03-31, 20:09)johninfla Wrote: I followed your instructions,but Intel Display audio doesn't come up.I don't think i have an AMD audio device.
In Device Manager,under Sound,Video and Game Controllers there are listed these three things:
ATI Hi Def Audio device
IDT Hi Def audio Codec
PlayOn Virtual Audio Device

Maybe i can download/install the AMD audio device from somewhere Huh
It seems that you are using AMD GPU. You can try to select AMD HDMI as a default devices.

Regardless of the GPU, you still can verify audio Supported Formats the same way....
I've checked every way i know how to find Anything even remotely related to AMD in my laptop but come up with nothing.
I don't think i have it.
I'm still trying to find out which hi-def audio codecs are supported by the ATI and IDT devices.

Is AMD software that can be downloaded,or is it hardware that has to be installed in my laptop??
I'm lost.Confused
Maybe you should post some screen captures from what you see?
(2014-03-31, 22:31)johninfla Wrote: I've checked every way i know how to find Anything even remotely related to AMD in my laptop but come up with nothing.
I don't think i have it.
I'm still trying to find out which hi-def audio codecs are supported by the ATI and IDT devices.

Is AMD software that can be downloaded,or is it hardware that has to be installed in my laptop??
I'm lost.Confused
You can use this "AMD Driver Autodetect". It will automatically detect your hardware and provide you the latest driver for it. If it is Intel, you can use this "Automatically identify and find drivers".....

You can try Dell website too- Do you have your Service Tag or Express Service Code?
Thumbs Down 
I downloaded the AMD Driver autodetect but it didn't seem to detect much of anything(no out of date drivers i guess).But it did change the name of the HDMI output from IDT to AMD.Big deal,it still doesn't work.Rolleyes
I have Dell concierge service but all they did was uninstall/reinstall the IDT audio control,but my audio issues remain unchanged.
IOW-they did NOTHING to help.Now i can't get any sound at all thru HDMI or my laptop speakers.
I was also on the Dell forum looking for help but....No
At this point don't know what to do.What started out as a small,seemingly fixable problem,is turning into a nightmare.
I just might remove XBMC from my PC,i'm not sure yet.If i can get the audio to work again thru HDMI>AVR,even if it's only stereo,i might keep XBMC.
I have to do some more troubleshooting.Probably another call to Dell too.Confused
(2014-04-01, 19:18)johninfla Wrote: I downloaded the AMD Driver autodetect but it didn't seem to detect much of anything(no out of date drivers i guess).But it did change the name of the HDMI output from IDT to AMD.Big deal,it still doesn't work.
You can manually download it too- AMD Graphics Drivers and Software.....
Have you seen this- No Hdmi sound to TV from my Studio 1747...

I have Dell Latitude E6430 and two other laptops. I never have issue with No Audio over HDMI on my AVR....

If you still not getting audio through HDMI after trying everything, you can try Realtek "High Definition Audio Codecs". This site "Resolving HDMI Sound Issues with a Desktop Computer" have instructions on how to select it.....
Yea,i read the posts about that guy's Studio 1747 last night,even followed the instructions given to restart the HDMI audio output to no avail.
I just went to the "Resolving HDMI Sound Issues" link but they say it's for HP and Compaq desktop PC's,not sure it's suited for my Dell laptop PC.
I'll be checking the Realtek website next.Thanks for the link.
BTW,could you give me the title of a movie that you KNOW is encoded with either DD5.1,Dolby TrueHD,or DTS-HD??
I'd like to use it as a reference movie to see what type of audio i can get IF i can get my HDMI output to work again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help no audio0