Over the top Mini-ITX XBMC build, any thoughts?
Hi All,

Throughout the years I've installed dozens of XBMC boxes, starting with a fully modded (first series) xbox and ending with various AsRock, ATV1, ATV 2, Custom built, Xtreamer, R-Pi & NUC solutions.

I am now at the stage that I want to try and build a "Super-XBMC" machine, with all the bells and whistles I can think of and optimal performance without sacrificing on size and the wife-friendly factor.

This is what I came up with:

- 1 x Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT S1150 Z87 2xDDR3 mITX *
- 1 x Intel Core i5 4670K
- 1 x Noctua Processor Cooler NH-L9i Intel
- 1 x Be Quiet PSU SFX Power 2 400W
- 1 x Samsung 840 EVO Basic - Solid state drive - 250 GB
- 1 x Crucial Ballistix Tactical - Memory - 8 GB : 2 x 4 GB - DDR3 - PC3-12800 - CL8
- 1 x ASUS GT630-SL-2GD3-L - GPU - GF GT 630 - 2 GB DDR3 - PCIe 2.0 x16 low profile *1
- 1 x ASUS - HDMI / DVI port low profile bracket
- 1 x Streacom ST-OB3 BD Write/BD Read
- 1 x SilverStone Milo ML05 - Case - Mini-ITX
- 2 x Noctua NF-R8, 80mm
- 1 x Matrix Orbital VK204-25-USB 20x4 VFD Display *2
- 1 x FLIRC IR receiver *2
- 1 x Internal USB header to External USB cable
- 1 x Speaker cloth *3
- 1 x Sound Damping Foam Mat

* Utter madness, I know, but that mobo is so cute
*1 All in all I think Nvidia GPU's still the best for XBMC under Linux. Hope this fits in the the case, otherwise I'll have to modify the cooling fins
*2 That's why I chose the ML05 case over the fancier ML06 case, I'm hoping to mod it and place the VFD and the IR receiver behind the transparent perspex
*3 I prefer using speaker cloth as dust filter rather than pre-assembled filters

Do any of you have any thoughts, suggestions, tips?
Are any of you interested in some sort of build log or tutorial?

Cheers,
Q

This is what I hope it will look like with the VFD behind the perspex:

I for one would thoroughly enjoy reading your build log or tutorial. The more builds the better in my opinion.
Any reason for the unlocked CPU, and it's compatible motherboard?

I know your not trying to save money on this build, but unless you will be overclocking, I don't see much point in the OC CPU if you're not going to use it, and that cooler might be a problem in the OC scenario.
(2014-03-30, 23:24)ertman Wrote: Any reason for the unlocked CPU, and it's compatible motherboard?

I know your not trying to save money on this build, but unless you will be overclocking, I don't see much point in the OC CPU if you're not going to use it, and that cooler might be a problem in the OC scenario.

The simple answer is future proofing, if the build doesn't work out the components (except the cooler, as you correctly stated) are a great starting point for a portable gaming rig.
The slightly more complex answer is that I want to experiment with underclocking.
If you are building it for Linux, it is over the top. If it is for multi-purpose HTPC using Windows, it is not over the top...
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-03-30, 23:50)bluray Wrote: If you are building it for Linux, it is over the top. If it is for multi-purpose HTPC using Windows, it is not over the top...

^ this right here.

Would make a lovely emulator box too Big Grin

It's almost a shame there isn't XBMC for Steam. That'd make a sexy Steam box!
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

How'd this build turn out, I'm looking at building something similar.
Intel I3-4130 | Asus H81T/CSM | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB Crucial M4| KODI 14.1
SilverStone Milo ML06
(2014-04-07, 16:33)Cypher64 Wrote: How'd this build turn out, I'm looking at building something similar.

Hi,

I'm still waiting for some of the components (IR on/off switch, extra IR receiver and VFD display) but until now the system is performing great.
I did have to do a bunch of tweaking and modding though, here are some examples:

- The WiFi/Bluetooth card used by ASUS is not well supported by Linux, so I switched it with an Intel one (could be a reason to use the MSI Gaming ITX Motherboard).
- The Slot-In drive mounting holes place it too far back in the case, making inserting and ejecting disks a pain. Easily fixed by drilling new mounting holes 2 cm forward of the original ones.
- No eject button, which I added with some more creative drilling and plastic milling.
- The fins of the GPU cooler are too long to fit in the case, had to shorten them by 8 mm.

For the rest it's mostly basic modding stuff like mounting holes and a cutout for the VFD, holes for the IR receivers and removing paint (with acetone) and respraying the back of the perspex to match the holes.
I'll make pictures when it's all done and if there's some more interst make some sort of build log.

Cheers,
Q
Did you make any progress with the project?
I want to follow the same approach for a htpc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Over the top Mini-ITX XBMC build, any thoughts?0