Win Weird HD video output issue
Question 
I have a somewhat weird issue with my HTPC/AVR devices and their HDMI connection.

My setup is as follows:

PC:Geforce8800Big GrinVI1 -> HDMI/DVI converter thingy -> Pulse-Eight USB CEC adapter -> Sony HT-AS5:HDMI1 -> Sony Bravia KDL46EX520:HDMI1
I run Windows 8.1 with XBMC Gotham Beta 3 on a Gigabyte Z87MX-D3H with an Intel i5 processor.

Few weeks ago I noticed weird green artifacts (little green dots) on various skins. To troubleshoot that issue I updated the drivers and played around with nVidia and XBMC settings. Nothing seemed to resolve the issue. After software I decided to check cabling, but when I swapped my HDMIcable for a unused one I lost video HD input. I could see my computer boot (BIOS and Windows logo) but the video disappeared when the computer switched to HD resolution. I wanted to know if it was a faulty videocard, so I replaced my GeForce 8800 with another one I had laying around. I did the work at my desk and tested with my Samsung LCD screens. After swapping videocard the issue seemed to be resolved...

Until yesterday. Yesterday I lost the video input again, and I haven't been able to get it back. The things I tried:

* removed the CEC adapter: no HD video on AVR:HDMI1
* swapped the videocard again: no HD video on AVR:HDMI1
* changed DVI ports on the videocard: no HD video on AVR:HDMI1
* swapped the little DVI-HDMI converter-kinda-thing: no HD video on AVR:HDMI1
* removed the videocard and enabled the onboard Intel gpu: no HD video on AVR:HDMI1
* changed cables again: no HD video on AVR:HDMI1
* tried connecting the PC to the TV directly: HD video on TV:HDMI1 -> TV:HDMI4
* tried AVR:HDMI2 and AVR:HDMI3 on the AVR: HD video!
* tried AVR:HDMI1 again: no HD video
* I connected my Bluray player to HDMI1 on the AVR: no HD video
* The same Bluray player outputs video to AVR:HDMI2 and AVR:HDMI3.
* I connected the Geforce 8800Big GrinVI1 to one of my desktop samsung screens: HD video.
* I connected the Intel On-Board:HDMI1 to one of my desktop samsung screens: HD video.

This led me to believe the HDMI1 port was kaputt, which looks like a logical conclusion right? Wrong.

I recently updgraded to a standalone mediacenter and still had my 12m HDMI cable going from my desktop PC to the TV, so I thought I try that, just for shits and giggles, and I couldn't believe my eyes: when I connected the desktop pc to HDMI1 on my AVR I had video output. Full HD, surround sound, no issues. Huh

So:

Mediacenter PC: works on all HDMI ports on the AVR except HDMI1. Tried this with three videocards and about five differnet HDMI cables.
Desktop PC: works on all HDMI ports on the AVR, *including* HDMI1. Tried this with two videocards.
Bluray player: works on all HDMI ports on the AVR except HDMI1. The screen remains black when HD kicks in but the low-res Sony boot-up logo is visible.
HDMI CEC: works on all outputs (even on AVR:HDMI1 my TV 'sees' input and switches inputs correctly but the screen remains black)

All drivers are up to date. All devices have been reset to factory settings (TV, Bluray and AVR). XBMC has been reinstalled. nVidia drivers have been reinstalled. I also opened up my 2 year old AVR (just in case) and cleaned out some dust as well. I also cleaned the HDMI ports on the AVR and HDMI connectors on the cables. I also used one brand new HDMI1.4 cable and tried other cables from other devices.

What gives? If the HDMI port is defective, my desktop PC should not have worked. If it's not, why doesn't my Bluray player work even if the PC has faulty videocards or config issues?
And why doesn't my xbmc pc output video to AVR:HDMI1 after changing videocards? Or using the onboard videocard?

Undecided

Grtz

Lukas

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Weird HD video output issue0