Copying files over network from win7 to pi
Hello,

i am new here so if this was already answered, please dont get angry at me. i did a search on forum and couldnt find a topic about it or i was searching for it the wrong way.

i have recently discovered the wonderfull life of xmbc on raspberry pi and have been in love with it ever since. I used to move my external HD from pi to my computer and copy files there on HD and move the HD back to pi. And the reason for this is when i tried to use the filemanager in xbmc and tried to copy files there it took for ever to copy those files. But it seems others dont have this problem and are using the filemanager on a daily base.

Please if you are so kind to point me in the right direction and i will do the searching/reading on my own. Just tell me if it is posible to speed up the copying.

Regards,
HEki

p.s. is there any way to cancel the copying?
Why don't you use FileZilla?
It is an FTP client and if you log on to the pi using the pi username with raspberry as password you can then transfer files to/from the Pi easily.
I think the only thing you need to handle is the name (mount point) on the Pi of your USB hard disk so you can change to that directory via FTP.
I am no Linux person so I might have named this wrong, but I hope you get the point.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Open up Windows Explorer (file explorer) and in the path bar thingy, type \\192.168.1.10 or whatever the IP of your Pi is. Should let you access all the directories of the Pi.
(2014-04-01, 23:46)kinison Wrote: Open up Windows Explorer (file explorer) and in the path bar thingy, type \\192.168.1.10 or whatever the IP of your Pi is. Should let you access all the directories of the Pi.

Yes, i know that. But the speed is only 1.6MB/s ... Is there a way to speed this up? Or is this because i am copying files from windows to linux?
(2014-04-02, 16:28)HEki Wrote: Yes, i know that. But the speed is only 1.6MB/s ... Is there a way to speed this up? Or is this because i am copying files from windows to linux?
I get about 3MB/s on wired, are you wired or wireless? I have a feeling you won't see much better with an NTFS share.

For large transfers you're probably better off swapping your external HD to the Win7 box. Another option is to download directly to the Pi's attached storage using Sabnzbd.
Thank you for your info!

Yes i am on a wired network. I am thinking of buying a router with usb port, put that external hd on it and just share it to pi.
keep in mind allot of usb ports on routers are slow,
depents also on what kind of media you want to stream from it.
i stream everything from my nas to the pi (use the pi as bedroom player for Tv series rips and AVCHD's it will be never a complete replacement of my main HTPC it's just to slow)
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
I'm also getting approx. 3MB/s over wired network and I'm happy with that. I'm adding maybe 1 or 2 movies a day so it's not a big deal for me.

I tried the router-usb on a 2 months old Netgear router but it was even worse. A 4GB file started with 8MB/s but slowed down to 2MB/s.
My disk is an USB 3.0 Western Digital.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Copying files over network from win7 to pi0