Intel HM65 Express
Intel HD Graphics
12.10 - XBMCbuntu i686
XBMC 12.3 Git:9ed3e58
GPU: Intel HD Graphics (Sandybridge)
OpenGL version 3.0 Mesa 9.0.3
Installed on SSD from CD

:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Process or Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
~$ lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
Kernel driver in use: i915

dc:ff-h264
ERROR: (VDPAU) unable to init VDPAU - vdp_st = 0x1. Falling back
LOG FILE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The problem that I am having is XBMC does not seem to be using VDPAU regardless of video format 720p 1080p. This causes unusually high CPU utilization and I get dropped frames/jerky video. As far as I can tell everything looks good, and I'm unsure when this started/ or when I noticed it. Ive been searching on the forums and can't seem to find a solution. Any help or suggestions would be great. When I play a video and hit "o" it only says
dc:ff-h264. It doesn't matter which video it is on all of them. Obviously the higher resolution videos cause more frame drops and jerkyness, so I really don't see any issues on SD content.
Intel GPUs use VAAPI, not VDPAU!

your install is broken: VAAPI - unable to initialize display -1 - unknown libva error
make sure you have libva1 and libva-intel-vaapi-driver installed and vainfo doesn't throw an error

and you might want to get rid of pulseaudio or upgrade xbmc to gotham.
You might also want to use a 64-bit operating system so that all that RAM can actually be used.
He cant use a 64bit OS for that XBMCbuntu release was only in 32bit, he could download the XBMCbuntu beta (which is only 64bit) http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/XBMCbun..._amd64.iso and then if he wanted to use the Frodo 12.3 instead of Gotham beta3 release, downgrade xbmc via ppa Team XBMC PPA (wiki) though tbh I would just backup library and do a fresh install with the xbmcbuntu beta, restore library and be done.

In any case he will never find anywhere more than 1.5 GB max ram (in some bizarre case) used with Linux+XBMC with intel GPU. Only Windows sucks that much Ram, in fact the more you throw at it the more it sucks into a void.
I agree about the RAM, I don't understand why anyone puts more than 4 GB RAM in a HTPC. I have 8 GB but I run a bunch of virtual machines and tons of other software so I'm actually using at least 3 GB when idle.
XBMC non withstanding I have applications that suck 8GB of ram in about 10 seconds
Thanks for the replies, I will look into the issue with vaapi when I get home. I do know that when I run vainfo, it just says that it can't find the program so it looks like it may not be installed? As for the ram, I got this buy one get one free deal on it from newegg and was building another machine at the time so it ended up having more ram than I really needed I don't think I've ever seen it utilize over 30%
Hi,

I am having the same problem, cant seem to get vdpau running for my XBMC Gotham. I have an AMD setup with integrated gpu.

:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8570D]

:~$ glxinfo | grep renderer
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 8570D

Am I right in thinking it should be enabled within XBMC, as above poster I am just getting dc:ff-h264 when i hit O during playback. I have attached a log file just for further information

XBMC Log
AMD's proprietary driver fglrx does not support VDPAU. In order to get vdpau working you need to use mesa driver.
Will there be a noticeable difference in playback that is worth the effort? I can't say I notice much wrong with it at the moment, few dropped frames etc perhaps.
If you like everything as it is - keep what you have.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok I have to say I let this lie for a bit, but maybe I have a bit of OCD regarding this matter.

I feel like I am not getting 100% out of my hardware if it is not being used for HW acceleration.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for how to install the mesa drivers for this?
First top post in the linux forum: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
No HW rendering: unable to init VDPAU0