Audio only, no video from avi files (Gopro)
Hi,

I've been using XMBC now for a number of years, love it and recommend it to anyone that will listen to me. One of the main things I tell them is that "I haven't found a file format it won't play" but after trying to watch some raw gopro footage now I have.

When I try to play the raw footage I only get the audio and no video. When I play the same file on the same machine in WMP or Gopro studio it plays back fine though.

I'm using a Toshiba satellite l850 and up until now haven't found an issue with XBMC I haven't been able to resolve by searching google and these forums, but no luck this time.

I'm hoping this will be an easy sort of thing to fix, but if you need a debug or any other info please let me know. Thanks for the awesome media center and support.
Anyone?
does this also happen with Gotham beta3?
if so report it on trac.xbmc.org and provide a sample file there
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
As far as I can remember, avi is just a container - much like mkv/matroska. The format and encoding of its acutual contents, could be "anything". What encoding / video stream info can you pull from the files? Audio clearly works - thus the culprit would be the video stream.

Tool for detailed media info:
http://mediaarea.net/nb/MediaInfo
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Ok so here's what I have so far after looking at these files with media area
File 1 is CineForm which XBMC plays audio only no video, WMP will play this fine
File 2 is MPEG-4 which wont play at all in XBMC, WMP wont play this either
File 3 is a much smaller cut encoded exactly the same as file 2 and it plays fine with everything. (file 3 0.3GB vs file 2 10GB)

I've tested this on 2 laptops over the network and 1 laptop locally with identical results on XBMC 11.0 12.3 and 13(b)

I really appreciated that previously XBMC played every file I asked it to, how can I fix this?
Not quite sure what to say here. The MPEG-4 has some support - there are still a variety of sub-encodings there, like MPEG-4 SP and ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) (These are supported formats)... But in this case, size could matter. If it is as you say, the files are encoded identically but of vastly different size. I have not experienced similar before - atleast not on a modern system with 4GB(+) ram.

At least one of the tested playback platforms are 64bit with EXT3/4 or NTFS..?

CineForm seems to be a tricky one. I tested a clip and confirm your audio-only playback. FFmpeg currently does not support CineForm codec. Hopefully someone else can chime in here.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Ok I'm having all sorts of issues here with files from my GoPro and GoPro studio. The smaller mp4s are playing fine but still no joy on larger MP4 files or avi files.

The main laptop is running windows 7 64 bit with 16gb ram and a 2.3ghz processor, pretty sure the file system is NTFS.

The files are stored locally but I'm having the same issues with files on my NAS.

My graphics card is a AMD Raedon HD 7670M, I'm currently looking for updated drivers but windows doesn't identify any, mines 8.932.5.3000

I have tried changing a heap of settings that other threads suggested, like hardware vs software acceleration and matching the refresh rate to match the video with no joy.

This is quite frustrating, I loved that xbmc just played everything I asked it too. Surely I'm not the only person to struggle to play converted GoPro files?

Thanks for your help so far
Can you provide a sample video for us to try?
Maybe we need to send it up to ffmpeg devs to add better support.
This is the only way to solve this as we can't magically fix it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2014-04-07, 12:36)Martijn Wrote: Can you provide a sample video for us to try?
Maybe we need to send it up to ffmpeg devs to add better support.
This is the only way to solve this as we can't magically fix it

Samples: http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/CFHD/

Also see: http://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/1087
Unless there has been recent development, no one has followed up with requesting specs/whitepaper etc from CineForm. Ther own codec (since opening the above ticket) is now freeware - so hopefully they should not be to difficult to deal with. I'll leave that bit to someone who actually know what to ask for.

https://cineform.zendesk.com/anonymous_requests/new
Ok, pardon my ignorance but how do I post a sample of a 10g file?
You need use some form of editing tool or splitter, to nip out a smaller clip. Dempending on its size, there are thousands of methods and places for upload. I must admit, I am a bit curious about that 10GB file. If the encoding is identical with the smaller file that play fine - you should try to play that sample in xbmc before posting it.
I have some samples ready to post.
File 1 mp4 plays fine in XBMC 25.2mb
File 2 avi audio only in xbmc 269mb
File 3 mov audio only in xbmc 270mb
I'm waiting on the 10gb file to convert, so I can take a snipet of it to test.

I assume there's a 3rd party website I need to use to post these videos, other than youtube I'm a bit clueless here though any suggestions. Should I create a torrent?
Try mediafire.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Audio only, no video from avi files (Gopro)0