• 108(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-04-19, 02:26)syk69 Wrote:
(2014-04-18, 19:15)cstark27 Wrote: Setting "keep audio device alive" and navigation sounds to off fixed the popping for me. This may cause some other issues since it looks like XBMC does not turn off the DD/DTS signal at the end of the stream. So playing a TrueHD file after a DD was a bit troublesome and at one time I had experienced slow playback again.

Most of my library is DTS/DD so I think this will work for me.

Turned off "keep audio device alive" and the pop in Dolby Digital movies is gone! Thanks buddy! Everything plays good now Smile

That took care of the popping, turning off "Keep audio device alive", I already had "Play GUI sounds" set to "Never" so not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Good find!!! Tongue

Now just need to find a solution for the static (white noise) so I don't have to manually switch the decode mode every time I have to restart XMBC or change the source. This may be due to having a 3-4 yr old AVR-391, if other users with newer models aren't seeing this and if there's no resolution, then it might be time to upgrade. Sad
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Glad it fixed it for you guys, too. Hopefully it doesn't mess up other stuff but so far I haven't noticed anything besides trying to play lossless formats.

I have the Denon AVR E300 and don't get a constant static noise like you describe. Though I have seen some reviews say there was a problem with DD or DD+ that produced static. They released a firmware update in March. Are you able to update your AVR to see if it was effected by that issue?
(2014-04-19, 05:00)Japgeisha Wrote: elmerohueso Online

f*** off

there is no need for that.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-19, 02:07)tennisbgc Wrote:
(2014-04-19, 01:17)Scott R Wrote: Sorry if I'm repeating well known observations, but I finally got around to sideloading XBMC today (nightly Gotham build). Full bitrate Blu-ray MKV (h.264) content seems to play smoothly. Surprisingly, HDTV MPEG-2 content (1080i and 720p Windows Media Center .WTV files) also seem to play smoothly. Not surprisingly, VC-1 Blu-ray encodes are unwatchably choppy. Sad My testing thus far has been with a bedroom 1080p TV, so I'm just testing stereo audio at this point. Next up will be my living room 5.1 setup. I do not rip high def audio tracks, so I don't care about that. Regular Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 is all I need.

So the big drawbacks for me are:

1) Lack of VC-1 support (anyone know if this format is being used more or less than it was before for new Blu-ray encodes?)
Your saying all your h264 full blurays play fine, no weird artifacts. My ouya does this with 80% of my full bluray h264 movies. What movies have you tested?

+1 one on these observations. Any hope to eventually have software decoding for VC-1? Also, I have issues with high bitrate (>20mbs) m2ts files not playing both when contained within an iso bluray rip as well when created by a panasonic camcorder. XBMC time outs with "busy" message on screen.
Well I'd have to say a 20% failure rate is pretty epic fail.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-19, 06:51)cstark27 Wrote: Glad it fixed it for you guys, too. Hopefully it doesn't mess up other stuff but so far I haven't noticed anything besides trying to play lossless formats.

I have the Denon AVR E300 and don't get a constant static noise like you describe. Though I have seen some reviews say there was a problem with DD or DD+ that produced static. They released a firmware update in March. Are you able to update your AVR to see if it was effected by that issue?

It shouldn't. I got a real old receiver Denon 2307 and don't get the constant static noise either. Was just the pop which is now gone!

I thought android didn't pass through the HD audio formats anyway?
(2014-04-19, 06:51)cstark27 Wrote: Glad it fixed it for you guys, too. Hopefully it doesn't mess up other stuff but so far I haven't noticed anything besides trying to play lossless formats.

Yeah, problem is that Denon has never released a FW update for the 391. I know that there were FW issues with these models, which needed factory repair, but since I have never really had an issue I thought that I bought mine after there was a fix since I haven't had any issues until I started using Android and even then with my MX2 (on it's original FW) I didn't have an issue. This just cropped up on it recently (even on Linux), as well my Ouya has always suffered from the same thing and now the AFTV, although each has varying degrees of the same issue.

Thanks, though like I said (and as much as I'd hate having to) it may just be time to upgrade to a newer model or different brand.

(2014-04-19, 08:30)syk69 Wrote: It shouldn't. I got a real old receiver Denon 2307 and don't get the constant static noise either. Was just the pop which is now gone!

I thought android didn't pass through the HD audio formats anyway?

Thanks for the confirmation, at least it doesn't seem to be Denon specific. It would be nice to know if anyone with the same model as mine, or with 591 or 791 has the same issue since they are in the same family.

I don't think anyone said anything about HD audio. If you're referring to my statement about TrueHD+AC3 not defaulting to DD, what I mean it that my vids encoded with TrueHD also have the DD track, and the TrueHD track has the flag for the DD. On XBMC for Ouya it would default to passing through the DD track. With Gotham, at least on AFTV, it appears to just downmix the TrueHD track to stereo.

But most Android devices do not pass-through HD audio, and I only know of one that claims to, the VidOn.me AV200.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2014-04-19, 08:25)nickr Wrote: Well I'd have to say a 20% failure rate is pretty epic fail.

Sounds like the amount of BRs that are in VC-1, so that would be expected for most most Android boxes. Anything not AMLogic or doesn't have the raw CPU power to software decode it. I think others can potentially do VC-1, or something along those lines, but I haven't seen a non AMLogic box mentioned on the forum yet where a user had VC-1 hardware decoding.
To continue on the VC-1 subject, I *guess* FTV *could* have support for simple and main profile (aka WMV3) but not for advanced, which is what is commonly called VC-1 and is used in blurays.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1 for ref.
This is almost perfect. My only issues are Hi10p and the launcher. I don't expect to be able to playback Hi10p, but does anyone have any idea how I could get XBMC to show up in the primary launcher - preferably under apps?
Subtitles - Serious Business
Looking through my collection, it looks like VC-1 is getting less and less common. It's most common on Warner Brothers movies released in 2010 or earlier, or on any movie that made its initial high-def release on HD-DVD (Scarface, Gone with the Wind).

It looks like in 2009 or 2010, WB made a policy decision to start targeting AVC instead. Inception (2010) is the last movie I have that's in VC-1. In comparison, the Harry Potter movies moved to AVC in 2010 with Deathly Hallows 1, even though prior versions were all-AVC. Similarly, although both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are in VC-1, The Dark Knight Rises (2012) is in AVC.

All in all, if you include the first six Harry Potter movies, about 10% of my collection is VC-1 as compared to AVC. It's little enough that if the FireTV solves every other problem but VC-1 decoding, I'd be willing to re-encode those specific titles to AVC, especially because I know that not many of my future purchases are going to be VC-1.
I installed the 4/17th Gotham nightly build yesterday. Using the included AFTV remote, I can't navigate the popup keyboard when it appears. The cursor doesn't seem to want to move to the keypad area. I've tried hitting every key on the remote but the cursor stays in the text field with the 'a' highlighted. Am I missing something?
(2014-04-19, 15:30)randykc Wrote: I installed the 4/17th Gotham nightly build yesterday. Using the included AFTV remote, I can't navigate the popup keyboard when it appears. The cursor doesn't seem to want to move to the keypad area. I've tried hitting every key on the remote but the cursor stays in the text field with the 'a' highlighted. Am I missing something?

If you checked the wiki first you would of gotten your answer.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

(Hint: check the area labeled controls)
(2014-04-19, 08:30)Tinwarble Wrote: Yeah, problem is that Denon has never released a FW update for the 391. I know that there were FW issues with these models, which needed factory repair, but since I have never really had an issue I thought that I bought mine after there was a fix since I haven't had any issues until I started using Android and even then with my MX2 (on it's original FW) I didn't have an issue. This just cropped up on it recently (even on Linux), as well my Ouya has always suffered from the same thing and now the AFTV, although each has varying degrees of the same issue.

Thanks, though like I said (and as much as I'd hate having to) it may just be time to upgrade to a newer model or different brand.

Hunting for a good modern audio video unit is next on my list, I would enjoying hearing what model you choose and why as your view being based on having used one already would be educational. I would retire my Millennium 246 Decoder, NAD, Adcom 555 and 565s. Which would free up a ton of space, but I would then need a space heater to make up for the loss of heating Big Grin .
(2014-04-19, 15:36)LazerBlue Wrote:
(2014-04-19, 15:30)randykc Wrote: I installed the 4/17th Gotham nightly build yesterday. Using the included AFTV remote, I can't navigate the popup keyboard when it appears. The cursor doesn't seem to want to move to the keypad area. I've tried hitting every key on the remote but the cursor stays in the text field with the 'a' highlighted. Am I missing something?

If you checked the wiki first you would of gotten your answer.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

(Hint: check the area labeled controls)

Thanks. I didn't think I had to select that with the SPMC build. Should have looked there first though.
  • 108(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10