• 257(current)
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC
(2014-07-23, 00:50)King_o_hill Wrote: It plays just fine on my PC with XBMC and my BR player

FireTV doesn't support VC-1 and Mpeg2 hardware decoding, so I was leaning towards that being an issue. The only stuttering/lag problems I've had is playing a VC-1 rip and 10bit rips.
Hi guys I bought my AFTV from ebay as im in the UK and was going to root it but just read that it will be released in the UK for in December.

So assuming there will need to be some update the device to get prime video to work etc. Rooting it wont block any updates permanently will it?
(2014-07-23, 12:31)DaSingh Wrote: Hi guys I bought my AFTV from ebay as im in the UK and was going to root it but just read that it will be released in the UK for in December.

So assuming there will need to be some update the device to get prime video to work etc. Rooting it wont block any updates permanently will it?

Can I ask where you bought it from and how much? does it work fine in the UK?
(2014-07-23, 12:35)yaqh Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 12:31)DaSingh Wrote: Hi guys I bought my AFTV from ebay as im in the UK and was going to root it but just read that it will be released in the UK for in December.

Can I ask where you bought it from and how much? does it work fine in the UK?

Sorry to butt into the thread, but I also bought mine on ebay and live in Spain. With postage and customs pre-paid it cost me £124. Hope that helps. p.s. VERY happy with speed etc.

Unless you manually set the rooted FTV to block updates then you won't have problems with getting updates. Though you have to re-root after an update because you lose the root access.
I dont know the exact sellers name but it was sent from London next day and cost me £110 about 2months ago. Everything works fine except amazon video content and netflix. Games work great, Plex works and more importantly XBMC is very good but I have to go through all the menus and enter pin to get to it as I dont want other users accidently paying for stuff!
I can get you one fully loaded 150 is what I got it for I can point you to the website
(2014-07-23, 05:22)Maric Wrote: [Q] MLB Blackout Restriction - DNS Unblock, Unlocator, Ad-free Not Working

I use unblock-us to watch MLB.tv on my PS3 but I have yet to try it out on my Fire TV. I know on the iOS version, it uses the GPS to figure out your location so you just need a location faker program (which requires your iPhone to be jailbroken). It sounds like you may have tried the same thing on the Fire TV with Unlocator.

I have no idea how MLB at Bat for android/fire tv determines location but I'll be interested to find out!
(2014-07-23, 07:35)Richie Wrote:
(2014-07-23, 00:50)King_o_hill Wrote: It plays just fine on my PC with XBMC and my BR player

FireTV doesn't support VC-1 and Mpeg2 hardware decoding, so I was leaning towards that being an issue. The only stuttering/lag problems I've had is playing a VC-1 rip and 10bit rips.

I'm pretty sure the Fire TV does support MPEG2 decoding in hardware. Using libstagefright (stf-mpeg2 decoder), the CPU usage is no higher than H.264 decoding (stf-h264). (This has been discussed in this forum before).

I don't know why the Wiki still claims it doesn't -- as it's probably scaring people off from buying it that want to stream Live TV.
I am about to start using stickmount to mount an external usb drive, does anyone know if there is a spindown function if the drive is idle for X amount of time?

Thanks.
Ok, I'm sure this is the never ending question, but I'm going to ask it. Upon receiving my new FTV, hopefully as soon as I get home from work today, what is the best version of XBMC to install on it? Also for what device?

My initial thought would be the Gotham 13.1 ARM version? TIA
(2014-07-23, 19:49)DaveTOR Wrote: I am about to start using stickmount to mount an external usb drive, does anyone know if there is a spindown function if the drive is idle for X amount of time?

Thanks.

I believe stickmount uses ntfs-3g/mount.exfat-fuse and busybox (as does my program adbFire). AFAIK, no spindown is builtin, it depends on the drive.
adbLink The Kodi Companion. Available for Windows, Mac & Linux.
(2014-07-23, 21:48)King_o_hill Wrote: Ok, I'm sure this is the never ending question, but I'm going to ask it. Upon receiving my new FTV, hopefully as soon as I get home from work today, what is the best version of XBMC to install on it? Also for what device?

My initial thought would be the Gotham 13.1 ARM version? TIA

It will almost always to the latest and greatest stable (so 13.1 as of right now) or beta if you want...
Raspberry Pi Model B 2 1024MB @ 1.0Ghz w/OSMC
--Decommissioned-- Raspberry Pi Model B 512MB @ 1.0Ghz w/ 3TB USB Drive Running Open Media Vault
I really love Amber skin and would love to use it for its simplicity and vertical menu. It currently crashes whenever I click on Android Apps in XBMC 13.1 as well. I contacted the developer of the skin and he is not able to help as he does not have Android device. Source code can be found below.

https://github.com/pecinko/skin.amber

Help will be greatly appreciated.
(2014-07-23, 22:28)heyredy141 Wrote: I really love Amber skin and would love to use it for its simplicity and vertical menu. It currently crashes whenever I click on Android Apps in XBMC 13.1 as well. I contacted the developer of the skin and he is not able to help as he does not have Android device. Source code can be found below.

https://github.com/pecinko/skin.amber

Help will be greatly appreciated.

The current workaround is to change to confluence for a bit and for each app you would like to use add it to favorites. Then change back to Amber and add the favorites to the vertical menu.
  • 257(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC10