A Milestone worth Congratulations
I dunno about the future of WMC, but mythtv doesn't seem to be going anywhere (and certainly xbmc plays in progress recordings from mythtv).

So I am not proselytizing a change, but if you do need to replace WMC in the future, there are alternatives.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Remember that we just had a guide data scare about 2 weeks ago, and there was one a year before that as well. It seems that every year or so, the guide data just suddenly stops. Nobody from MS is available to respond. Fortunately, the hardware manufacturers (Ceton, Hauppauge, SiliconDust) have an interest in Media Center and use their contact to get MS to take action.

Someday, though, the guide data is going to stop, nobody at MS will return their calls, and we'll need an alternative.

If you could integrate Schedules Direct into WMC via ServerWMC, then WMC could work forever.... Smile

(2014-04-07, 05:41)krustyreturns Wrote: lol. After this post I got curious, this is the first hit I got:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...76338.aspx
There's already plenty of alternative guide data sources, many users outside of the US have no choice than source epg data themselves. There are paid for options like Big Screen Epg and DVBLogic, and free options using xmltv listings. The only reason for WMC to go away is when you can't get the hardware to run it on anymore.
(2014-04-07, 18:54)MrPhil Wrote: many users outside of the US have no choice than source epg data themselves.

You make it sound like it's actually a bad thing. The whole concept of "where do I get my EPG data" is practically unheard of in most of Europe (at least the Nordic countries) since it's just there, in the stream, the way it's supposed to be.
There is EPG data in the stream here (it is called EIT when done via the DVB standard by the way, although some broadcasters deliver it over an MHEG app). However it is far from the quality of Schedules Direct.

In NZ there is a service which downloads the MHEG/EIT data and converts it to xmltv data, correcting many errors along the way.

It is annoying to try and schedule the recording of Doctor Who when it might be spelled "Dr Who" or "Dr. Who" or "Doctor Who" or "All New Doctor Who" or "Doctor Who Christmas Special".
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
That sucks indeed, though it's completely your providers fault. Over here the EIT is very good, no ambiguos names or anything.
(2014-04-07, 23:55)negge Wrote: You make it sound like it's actually a bad thing. The whole concept of "where do I get my EPG data" is practically unheard of in most of Europe (at least the Nordic countries) since it's just there, in the stream, the way it's supposed to be.

Of course if you have EIT data that is of high quality then your in a great position. In the UK, free to air channels have EIT 7 day data, but Sky channels have to be sourced from elsewhere, Microsofts own guide is very poor for Sky channels. 3rd party data costs little and is well worth it.
Hell yes, I never understood people who wouldn't pay $30 per year for Schedules Direct.
The problem I have with EIT is I use a capture device to get live TV from DirecTV, so if it is in the stream it is removed before I get it Sad
TV Mosaic on Windows 10 as PVR Backend |  1 RaspberryPI 3 Client (LibreElec) | Amazon FireTV box | 5 Amazon FireTV sticks | FireTV Cube | 2 Nvidia Shield TV
Tuners: HD HomeRun 4 ATSC (OTA) | IPTV
I would like to throw my congrats in here as well... I came from a different path using mythtv as my backend for the last 2 years with the cmyth plugin. First of all it took me nearly 2 weeks just to get mythtv to work with my infinitv usb, had to download a patch and compile my own version of myth. so that sucked, then once it was working it was flaky at best, commercials would never flag, video had artifacts etc. Tried nextpvr but it was also in its infancy and had lots of issues.

So fast foward to serverwmc and pvr.wmc. Installed Win7, installed ceton drivers, installed serverwmc, installed pvr.wmc. Had live TV with perfect picture quality up and running within a few hours, plus I have the bullet proof backend of WMC handling my recording schedule so the wifes shows are always there. MCE buddy takes care of commercial removal and transcoding if necessary and drops it into my xbmc library when complete. Everything is finally smooth and polished.

Thanks for all the hard work!

I just started using Aeon MQ5 and it is really slick with Live TV.
thanks for the compliments everyone, it's nice to know that things are working well for people Smile

allen00se, are you using our ExternalActions to kick off MCE buddy or does it just monitor your recordings directory automatically? Im always interested if anyone actually uses the features ive implemented, lol Big Grin
pvr.wmc TV addon and ServerWMC Backend Development Team
http://bit.ly/ServerWMC
(2014-04-11, 04:39)scarecrow420 Wrote: thanks for the compliments everyone, it's nice to know that things are working well for people Smile

allen00se, are you using our ExternalActions to kick off MCE buddy or does it just monitor your recordings directory automatically? Im always interested if anyone actually uses the features ive implemented, lol Big Grin

Haven't heard about external actions... Point me in the right direction and I'll check them out
check the Wiki under advanced section
(2014-04-13, 12:21)scarecrow420 Wrote: check the Wiki under advanced section

Can you post a link? I cant find that section of the wiki
(2014-04-14, 21:29)allen00se Wrote:
(2014-04-13, 12:21)scarecrow420 Wrote: check the Wiki under advanced section

Can you post a link? I cant find that section of the wiki

Sorry! I thought TechLife had put that stuff up on the wiki but you are correct.

The best info in that case is in this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1605365

And this thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1632452

Sorry for the wild goose chase!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A Milestone worth Congratulations0