Linux Suggested Hardware / Software Upgrade[s] for HTPC
Question 
I've been running XBMC for a few years now and have tended to play it safe by always being a few releases behind as I use the machine daily for playing watching Sky News, music + streaming to other devices in the house, movie playback and a bit of streaming.

My current setup consists of the following:-

Motherboard: ABIT AB9 Pro
CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 2.4GHz
RAM: 5GB
GPU: 256MB nVidia Geforce 8400GS G86 revision - 304.116 driver
Tv Tuner Card: A TechnoTrend for Freeview
Primary HDD: 36GB WD Raptor
Secondary HDDs: 2 x 200GB + 2 x 250GB
PSU: Corsair 430w CX
Monitor: Samsung 42" LCD via VGA + Audio Jack
Connectivity: TP-Link 450MB/s PCI, using Qualcomm Atheros AR9227 driver
XBMC: 12.3 Git: 9ed3e58 (compiled Dec 13 2013)
Remote: Android > XBMC Remote

Overall I'm fairly happy with how things run but I appreciate things move on and I can't help but feel that my setup could be improved. Some annoyances are Aeon Nox not performing particularly well on my machine whilst navigating through the library. Blu-ray playback isn't always fantastic either and I've tried to fine tune the video settings based on various threads I've come across over time, but I still see jitter and dropped frames. XBMC itself seems to suffer from the occasional hang or crash on my machine which can be annoying.

I appreciate that this machine is now a few years old but it still performs ok for most things. I'm just looking to spruce it up a little and improve the user experience, plus improve video playback and resolve the stability issues. Hopefully with a few hardware upgrades, possibly a Q9000 CPU, or maybe a slightly better GPU which has better support for Purevideo. Plus upgrading to the Gotham, and the latest Ubuntu, the latest nVidia drivers, and connecting the machine into my router via ethernet as opposed to using WiFi which isn't always great. I'd like to play around with the streaming a bit more above and beyond my DVD collection that I've spent hours ripping, plus a few classic Blu-ray collections that I've been bought.

I suspect a better GPU [nVidia rather than AMD] may help for than a better CPU. Plus I don't know how much benefit a quad core CPU will bring when used with Ubuntu and XBMC? I 'think' I'm ok on the Ram and primary HDD front? I also don't know how much of a benefit Gotham will bring about above and beyond my current XBMC version. I'd quite like to use Aeon Nox and customise the menu's so that they are a bit more fitting to what I use. Plus I don't know if I should be using a MYSQL DB for the library indexing and covers.

I would really appreciate some input from those who are running, or have run similar systems and have strived to improve their setup with some minor upgrades and tweaks and allow their XBMC setup to be all it can be - which mine doesn't feel like it is at the moment.

All the best.

A[/b]
System looks decent - I'd upgrade the video card to a current low end nvidia model (eg 610, 620) which will help with bluray rips as they support vdpau, your current card doesn't from memory.
Thanks for your reply. I'll start shopping around for one of those GPUs. I've got very limited funds to throw at this at the moment so I'll see if I can find a used one on eBay.

What are you thoughts on the software and os side of things please? If the latest Ubuntu worth a full rebuild, and is Gotham worth the upgrade at the moment or is it too early?
I've just checked the price on those GPUs and they can be picked up dirt cheap so thank you again for the suggestion Smile

I'd still be interested to know what your feedback is on the OS and software please?
I've always found eBay to be over priced for some computer parts, check out some computer shops too.
As for software - there is a huge difference between nvidia 304 to 334 in regards to playing games but with xbmc it doesn't really make a difference (but I have a powerful machine). If its only for xbmc I'd be inclined to stick with stable drivers.
With Ubuntu, there undoubtedly will be performance/driver/software improvements, but whether they're noticeable is another thing. You can always install the Hardware Enablement Packs in LTS versions of *buntu which contains the kernel and graphics stack from newer ubuntu releases. Easier than upgrading a whole system and its un-doable if things don't work out.
I've been running Gotham for quite some time and haven't had any major issues with it - the boss has no complaimts either.

Mysql - do you run multiple machines and want a synchronized library across all machines? If not I wouldn't bother.

Not sure how the raptor compares to a ssd, but if you want to speed up the os I'd be looking at getting one.
Yeah, a small SSD can be had very cheaply, and while the Raptor drives are quite speedy for HDD's, they don't hold a candle to even entry level SSD's. Migrating your system drive to a 60gb SSD would cost about $50, and bring huge performance gains. Particularly when loading cached images (thumbnails for your movies, skin graphics, etc)

And as teeedubb said, eBay is rarely a good place to get computer components these days. Prices are comparable to new hardware from Newegg and similar sites, particularly once shipping is factored in, and there always much more risk of getting worked hardware on eBay with no real recourse.
Many thanks for your suggestions. I've been meaning to get an SSD for a while but just never got round to picking one up. I do hear very very positive things about the performance gains that they bring. Seeing a boost to the system boot up time, and the loading of the image cache would be very welcomed!

I've also got my HTPC connection via WiFi at the moment. Even though the WiFi card cost a few quid, the router is supplied by Virgin and the both the software and built in antennas aren't great so tomorrow I'm going to connect it via an ethernet cable which should be 1GB at both ends. Hopefully that will help with streaming.

The SSD I'll look to pickup in the next couple of weeks once I've read some reviews and tracked one down for the right money. The GT 620 looks like it can be had brand new for about £35 including shipping. Hopefully between those two items, plus a rebuild and some software upgrades, my box should be new and improved and good for a few years yet Smile

Regarding MYSQL, I don't really run multiple XBMC devices at the moment but I plan to in the future so it may be somethiing best addressed then, but I'll have a read up on it to see if it's something I should include in the rebuild so the box it is a bit more futureproof. Initially I wondered if it would help better the performance of the library but adding an SSD should definately do that Wink

Gaming isn't something I do to be honest. However, having looked at some of the emulator videos on YouTube, I'd quite like to set it up. I don't have much time for any in depth gaming these days but a quick blast for half an hour here and there would be good Smile

Here's a question for you that I hadn't considered before; what do you think about the performance difference between the 32 and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu. There seem to be mixed opinions on this on the various forums. Have either of you taken the plunge and gone to 64 bit? I would hope that it's similar to running a x64 Windows whereby driver support is much better than it used to be, and 32 bit apps work fine, but the 64 bit versions [if available] bring about some big differences.
Your base OS 12.04. Wait a couple of weeks and try 14.04, it will be another long term support version.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ive been using x64 linux for as long as I can remember, with no specific x64 problems that I remember. youve got enough ram so go for it - it will help you get the most out of your system.
The guys seem to have you well covered here. Your setup looks good, but could benefit much from a few budget "tune-ups". A newer, low end GPU has been covered. Not as much for raw power, but updated hardware support. SSD is a HUGE pump up. Those raptors are fairly quick - but its apples and oranges - An old camaro VS Tesla Performance S. I personally just got a 120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 - my only regret is that I waited this long to get one. You'll just need one to cover OS, software and some extra overhead - 60GB will go a loong way. Personally I'd advice to look for for a different model. Its waaay snappier than a mechanical harddrive, but its quite slow in SSD terms. Antother thing with SSD - no moving parts, no sound. Them raptor drives arent exactly the silent type.

Going ethernet is a big benifit, if your surroundings can accomodate it. Wifi, even high-bandwith support in all ends - doesn't always work out as well as we'd like.

Not really a "needed" upgrade - but unless you do RAID - have you concidered replacing all those "smaller" drives with a single larger one? 1TB sata drives aren't that expensive these days - and 2TB drives are not far from a tenner more. Less noise, less heat, much less power consumption... just a thought Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Yes, everyone has had me well covered on this thread and I'm very grateful Big Grin

I hadn't considered RAID as I tried this system years back when I first built it and I wasn't overly impressed. I think that's when I bought the Raptor, saw the increase in boot times, system performance and always being the first one to load a map on Counter Strike Source and was instantly happy. If one of my drives fall then its not a big deal, I can re-rip my DVDs if I have to as I don't have hundreds. Reclaiming some space back in the box, a little less noise with a newer drive and gaining some additional storage at the same time would be nice and I suspect it will happen when I put together a slightly smaller system for my bedroom.

I haven't got the ethernet cable in yet. I need to persuade the Mrs that it's for the greater good on the basis that I can keep it out of sight Wink

I picked up a GT 640 [GK107] 4GB yesterday after work. Whilst it wasn't brand new it had come from a good home and had only been used for a couple of weeks in a new system before it was upgraded to the latest nVidia offering by its previous owner. I appreciate that the 4GB RAM might be a little wasted in my HTPC, but I'd quite like to run a few emulators on there for old times sake. I don't get much time for gaming these days but when I do it would be nice to have a quick blast on something I know and like for half an hour. Maybe even a bit of Need for Speed if I can get it running!

Getting the GT 640 to work properly was pretty epic but that mainly comes down to my lack of knowledge under the Linux hood. I tried to install the latest stable drivers but I seemed to end up with both 301 and 331 installed. Not much choice of anything above 640x480. I have to admit I struggled. I ended upgrading to 12.10, downloading the latest Linux headers and then downloading what I thought was the latest nVidia drivers, turns out I'm still running 331. I'll look at it properly once I get an SSD and Ubuntu 14.04 and rebuild the box from scratch.

That aside, I have to say I've very impressed with this card. Whilst it's the GK107 with DDR3 and not the GK208 with DDR5, it still support PureVideo VP5 and VDPAU Feature Set D which is only just behind the newer cards on VP6 and Feature Set E.

I have to admit that the XBMC experience is much much better. Blu-ray looks amazing [I'm not often amazed these days], even on my 6 year old 40" Samsung LCD but via HDMI as opposed to VGA how it was before. Very vibrant, vivid colors and stunning detail. I can't believe how much of a difference its made and I thank you all for the recommendation towards a better GPU.

XBMC is much smoother overall, scrolling through the menus and the transitions betweens screens is perfect. I'm very pleased Big Grin

My shopping list for the weekend will be for an SSD as recommended. My Abit AB9 Pro will support them but only at certain speeds so I've got some reading to do between now and when I get one as SSDs are completely new to me. 64GB will do just fine as my 36GB Raptor is only 28% full.

Then I'll go for Ubuntu 14.04 x64 on the 17th April as suggested and the latest version of everything else to go with it. I might even be able to get the latest nVidia drivers on the there and working as well Wink I suspect there'll be a lot of fine tuning before its done, but once it is I'll be a happy bunny for years to come, especially as this GPU supports 3D and 4k [when 4k TV's come down in price and I can get my hands one!].
Installing nvidia drivers should be as simple as
Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
There is not much price drop to gain with going with an older SATA standard when it comes to the SSD If you want components that'll serve future rigs well - I suggest a SATA3 (6Gbtis/s) - or SATA2 if in a tight spot. SATA standards are backwards compatible - some plug 'n play, some need a jumper moved.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-08, 22:11)nickr Wrote: Installing nvidia drivers should be as simple as
Code:

I'm trying that as I type. I hope it's as simple as that but on 12.04 it wasn't unfortunately.

(2014-04-08, 23:51)pr0xZen Wrote: There is not much price drop to gain with going with an older SATA standard when it comes to the SSD If you want components that'll serve future rigs well - I suggest a SATA3 (6Gbtis/s) - or SATA2 if in a tight spot. SATA standards are backwards compatible - some plug 'n play, some need a jumper moved.

I'll happily spend a few extra £'s if it brings about the performance boost that everyone says it will. My only concern is that as my motherboard [ABIT AB9 Pro] is a few years old, and ABIT are no longer is business, I just hope it works ok. Apparently AHCI is supported in the BIOS. I will need to check my BIOS version to ensure I'm running the last available BIOS that ABIT released for this board.

Does an SSD simply require AHCI to be enabled in the BIOS and thats it, or does it need any special drivers loading? Is it just plug and play and then install Ubuntu?

(2014-04-08, 22:11)nickr Wrote: Installing nvidia drivers should be as simple as
Code:

After it downloads and installs the driver, it says at the bottom that the current driver is still 301. I've rebooted and just have a flasher cursor on the screen.

I'll do the same as yesterday, remove the driver and then see where that leads.
AHCI and a SATA connector should be all you need - beyond that it should handle like any other drive. If you use SATA3 drive and your board only support SATA or SATA2, you might have to move a jumper on the drive to set mode. Just remember to move it again if upgrading to a system with higher SATA revision capabilities.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggested Hardware / Software Upgrade[s] for HTPC0