Linux Suggested Hardware / Software Upgrade[s] for HTPC
12.04 should give you nvidia 304 drivers. What is the output of
Code:
dpkg -l nvidia-current
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-09, 00:50)pr0xZen Wrote: AHCI and a SATA connector should be all you need - beyond that it should handle like any other drive. If you use SATA3 drive and your board only support SATA or SATA2, you might have to move a jumper on the drive to set mode. Just remember to move it again if upgrading to a system with higher SATA revision capabilities.

Excellent, thanks! I'll get a Sata3, even if the board doesn't fully support it and needs to downgrade to Sata2. At least I can upgrade the board in future.

Hopefully it won't need to go to Sata2 but it will be something to play around with at the weekend Smile
(2014-04-09, 00:52)nickr Wrote: 12.04 should give you nvidia 304 drivers. What is the output of
Code:
dpkg -l nvidia-current

There were multiple instances of nvidia drivers, 304, 331, updates, settings etc. I've purged them all and have just installed 331, rebooted and it displayed Grub. I selected Ubuntu the first option on the list and it looks like it's booting to the desktop now. I'm just going to have a poke around in the nvidia settings.

Poking around with the video drivers always makes me a bit nervous. I had to rebuild my box a few years ago whilst trying to update the xorg.conf manually and I didn't know how to recover from it. I know a bit more now but I'm still learning Smile

I can't get into the nvidia server settings, it doesn't launch when I click it.

dpkg -l nvidia-current shows dpkg-query: no packages found matching nvidia-current

dpkg -l | grep nvidia shows

ii nvidia-331 331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~quantal1 i386 NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernel module and VDPAU library
ii nvidia-persistenced 331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~quantal1 i386 Load the NVIDIA kernel driver and create device files

If I do sudo apt-get install nvidia-current I get:-

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libmicrohttpd5 linux-headers-3.5.0-18 linux-headers-3.5.0-18-generic python-sip
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following extra packages will be installed:
libcuda1-304 nvidia-304 nvidia-libopencl1-304 nvidia-opencl-icd-304 nvidia-settings
The following packages will be REMOVED
nvidia-331
The following NEW packages will be installed
libcuda1-304 nvidia-304 nvidia-current nvidia-libopencl1-304 nvidia-opencl-icd-304 nvidia-settings
0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 38.8 MB/39.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 43.8 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

So it looks as though it think the current nvidia driver is 304 and not 331 which should be supported for my GPU.

I guess at the moment I'm missing some stuff which is why I can't launch nvidia server settings.
Ok, I installed nvidia-settings and checking this inside the control panel shows that I'm running 331.20 which is good Smile

Its detected my display and everything looks correct which is also good. Its not detecting my 40" LCD as a 7" LCD which is what it was doing at one point last night.1920x1080 @ 60 looks good to me. I've read a bit on various forums about the nvidia drivers being a real pain on various versions of Ubuntu. I only hope that it's simpler on 14.04.

I'll have a play around with it some more tomorrow but its bed time for me now. Early start and a lot of driving tomorrow Sad

Many thanks for your help.
1. I think you have confused Ubuntu by installing the drivers direct from nvidia.

2. ubuntu's packaging only supports up to nvidia 304 on Ubuntu 12.04

3. Nvidia 304 supports your graphics card

4. If you have it working, leave it alone

5. enjoy the pleasure that is nvidia graphics on Linux.

6. Don't upgrade your kernel.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-09, 01:29)nickr Wrote: 1. I think you have confused Ubuntu by installing the drivers direct from nvidia.

2. ubuntu's packaging only supports up to nvidia 304 on Ubuntu 12.04

That probably explains why I now get an error when the desktop first loads, then a few random errors when XBMC first launches. I've not taken a look at the logs yet but I'm sure that will be why Big Grin

Quote:3. Nvidia 304 supports your graphics card

4. If you have it working, leave it alone

Amen to that lol. It's working well so I'll leave it until the rebuild.

Quote:5. enjoy the pleasure that is nvidia graphics on Linux.

6. Don't upgrade your kernel.

Like I said, a lot of people seem to have issues when installing or upgrading nvidia drivers on Ubuntu and whilst I'm still fairly new to it, at least I know I'm not a complete muppet Big Grin I just hope its something that gets easier as new version of the os progress.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggested Hardware / Software Upgrade[s] for HTPC0