xbmcbuntu - multiple hard drives appearing over network / mount at route
Hi,

I have been scouring the internet for an answer to this question and have not come up with anything yet, so I thought someone here could help me out.
I have 2 machines in the house running xbmcbuntu 14.0, across my network and one has two hard drives. 1 is 160GB for the system and 3TB (NTFS) for my media files. The problem I am having is being able to see this drive across the network as it seems to be mounted in /media/username/ and can only be accessed by the local machine. Any other machine in the house cannot get to this folder across the network.

Does anyone have an idea how I can make this visible, whether I have to reformat it, remount it, etc?

Many thanks in advance

Shaun
How are you trying to share the files from that drive? Are you using UPnP or have you tried to setup a file share such as samba or nfs?
To be honest, I just wasn't sure of the best way to go about it. I just know I have this 3TB sitting there that I can't add to across the network. I have read about Samba but I didn't think there was one working for 14 yet, or have I just made that up?

Just seems weird that I mount a drive and Ubuntu puts it immediately in a place where I can't access it and cannot change permissions for it.
Wink Xbmcbuntu v14 doesnt exist so you must mean v13

Samba sharing would work but you need to set that up at OS level, if all your machines are Linux makes no sense to have NTFS formatted volumes even if they are not all Linux you can still access the 3TB formated in ext3/4 drive if your samba share is properly configured from the machine serving.
Touche. My apologies, 14 is the version of Ubuntu that XBMC 13 is sitting on. Can I reformat the drive as ext4 without losing the data on? Any recommendations on software that will do that? Where can I get samba from?
Hi, I was having the same problem, I tested so many different setups, in window and linux but was not getting the wright one for me, I finally came across nas4free, so I built a box with old parts that I had, the only thing I had to get was a HHD controler for les than $40CDN, now I have NAS that did not cost much, but the benefits of having a dedicated box to hold all my media and data files is the best.

Just a sugestion
That would be fine, but I have that particular machine in a guest room that can also be used as a media player.
No you cant format Drives without loosing data. In any case samba shares setup Samba (wiki) Just intal the samaba packgaae that comes with Ubuntu no need to compile it. Then Configure it and be done.
I knew deep down that was a stupid question Smile

Any good tools for Ubuntu to do it? To do the Samba install what can I sudo apt-get install ?

Thanks
Read Samba (wiki) Wink I already gave you link, it tells you what to do. Smile
You the man! I will get onto it and let you know how I get on. Thanks for all the help people, cracking forum this.
if you intend to stick with linux and don't dual boot with windows you will want to get rid of NTFS as its really much slower and lots of cpu overhead then a native file system like ext4.
You can sometimes convert it without data loss, if the drive is not more then 50% full. (Also with less free space, but will require more steps and time)
Gparted is a good tool for that.
That did work a treat. Thanks for all of your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmcbuntu - multiple hard drives appearing over network / mount at route0