Linux versus Android
I have a question for all you XBMC wizards out there, I currently have a Minix box with xbmc, I'm not sure you can call it android but I guess it is sort of, anyway my question is which system runs smoother on a tv box, linux or android ?

I'm asking because I have to buy another tv box and I have the minix but if linux works better then I'll invest in a different box

So any input from the experts would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hello,
Android is linux.
Minix is a Android product.
So install xbmc that you can find in xbmc.org and open your eyes
(2014-04-03, 20:15)arkim Wrote: Hello,
Android is linux.
Minix is a Android product.
So install xbmc that you can find in xbmc.org and open your eyes

yeah i know minix is android, i did already say that
and i know linux is android, what i'm asking is is it better to run pure linux based system rather than an android system
my question was does a pure linux based system (no android installed) run smoother, no hacking or choppy signals ? and please don't tell me it's my internet speed.
the reason i ask is because some people sell android based tv box systems and some sell linux based and i'd like to know which runs smoother and better ?

oh and i do already have xbmc installed on my minix box
Android puts an additional layer between Linux and the application. Example: in order to output audio we have to go via Java native api which is not ideal.
If you don't need anything that requires Android, stay away from it.
Get an Android tv box and flash linux xbmc firmware, its probably the cheapest option aswell.

Linux just runs ALOT smoother
Press THANK USER if I Help
There are linux installs that the minix (and other Rockchips devices) can use, but I don't believe there is support for hardware video decoding for XBMC on linux/Rockships.
Smile 
(2014-04-03, 21:23)FernetMenta Wrote: Android puts an additional layer between Linux and the application. Example: in order to output audio we have to go via Java native api which is not ideal.
If you don't need anything that requires Android, stay away from it.

thankyou for all the responses and this one above was helpful and made my mind upBig Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux versus Android0