Xbox One as a host for XBMC
Plex is not XBMC. Getting excited over what Plex can be installed on is silly. I'd rather use a full featured program than use the nerfed and locked down interface of Plex thin clients. Not to mention that Plex thin clients are completely closed source.

Your move.
(2014-04-06, 08:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Plex is not XBMC. Getting excited over what Plex can be installed on is silly. I'd rather use a full featured program than use the nerfed and locked down interface of Plex thin clients. Not to mention that Plex thin clients are completely closed source.

Your move.

Ned, we all know Plex isn't XBMC.. Plex might work for a lot of people just fine. For people that don't code or need anymore than what it offers does it matter if its open source or not? Plex has been offered for many consumer products other than the basic PC. A lot of people are interested in having one or the other on some sort of settop box that they can plug in and download an app. Look at all the excitement for running XBMC on the new Amazon FireTV box! Yes its not a the perfect device for most of us, but it will be fine for others. Now there is info floating around Google is going to come out with Android TV I bet we will see threads pop up soon if XBMC will work on it. Plex is evolving with the technology trends..

(2014-04-06, 04:24)CharlieM Wrote: Plex has been confirmed that it will be running on Xbox one your move XBMC please don't make me switch media players I've never even used Plex

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/04/05/pl...g-xbox-one

I love XBMC and use it almost daily but to have it on my xbox one would just make my home theatre perfect

Nothing is stopping you from using Plex in conjunction with XBMC.
(2014-04-06, 04:24)CharlieM Wrote: Plex has been confirmed that it will be running on Xbox one your move XBMC please don't make me switch media players I've never even used Plex

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2014/04/05/pl...g-xbox-one

I love XBMC and use it almost daily but to have it on my xbox one would just make my home theatre perfect

Nobody is making you switch - you're quite a liberty to port XBMC to whatever you want to run it on!
(2014-04-06, 08:52)BORIStheBLADE Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 08:26)Ned Scott Wrote: Plex is not XBMC. Getting excited over what Plex can be installed on is silly. I'd rather use a full featured program than use the nerfed and locked down interface of Plex thin clients. Not to mention that Plex thin clients are completely closed source.

Your move.

Ned, we all know Plex isn't XBMC.. Plex might work for a lot of people just fine. For people that don't code or need anymore than what it offers does it matter if its open source or not? Plex has been offered for many consumer products other than the basic PC. A lot of people are interested in having one or the other on some sort of settop box that they can plug in and download an app. Look at all the excitement for running XBMC on the new Amazon FireTV box! Yes its not a the perfect device for most of us, but it will be fine for others. Now there is info floating around Google is going to come out with Android TV I bet we will see threads pop up soon if XBMC will work on it. Plex is evolving with the technology trends..

Does it matter for users who will never code? Oh god yes. For example, without XBMC then Plex would have not had a starting point, and might have never happened. The internet as we know it would be far less evolved and probably be fragmented and broken. I'm far from a bleeding heart FLOSS guy, and I have no issues using closed source software, but even I know that it matters for people who will never code.

My comment wasn't to discourage people from using Plex or things like Plex. My point was that just because Plex is an option doesn't make XBMC any less attractive. If all you want is what Plex offers, then why on earth would you bother with XBMC? If you've chosen XBMC over Plex, then you've probably done it for more reasons than just having something that can play video. Anything can play video. My toaster can play video.

The two boxes new boxes/platforms you mention (Fire TV and Google TV) have FULL XBMC support. There's a hardware decoding bug on the Fire TV right now, but hardware video decoding can and does work on it. Plex isn't passing us by. Our version of XBMC for Android is so much better than Plex on a set top box. Plex isn't evolving. That's one of the most absurd things I've seen written here, and I've read the thread on "objective storage". Comparing their thin client garbage to what XBMC can do, and saying Plex is passing us up? What are you smoking?

I'm not sorry at all that people can't use XBMC on a gaming console that can't do 1080 games in 2014. So in response to "your move", I say, "take my turn too, because you're going to need it if you ever want to catch up with XBMC".
so. ok, xbmc has no intention or interest in xbox one? That kind of sums it up?
(2014-04-06, 10:28)charliebrown Wrote: so. ok, xbmc has no intention or interest in xbox one? That kind of sums it up?

I can't speak for the others on Team XBMC, so I don't know, but I can tell you that we won't be doing it just because Plex is doing it.

I think I said before, typically speaking new things require new people. Existing developers joined the team because they had something they wanted to work on, and that's normally all they have time for. As far as I know, there is no technical or moral objection to being on Xbox One, but it would be a major project. The existing win32 binary won't run on the Xbox One. Some existing XBMC developers might be interested but might not have the time or resources.

I don't doubt that, in time, XBMC will likely move to these new APIs or ones like it, since Microsoft is really pushing them for the future of all things Windows as well. The only way to make it happen sooner is to get more people interested in developing for XBMC. New things require new people.
(2014-04-06, 10:44)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 10:28)charliebrown Wrote: so. ok, xbmc has no intention or interest in xbox one? That kind of sums it up?

I can't speak for the others on Team XBMC, so I don't know, but I can tell you that we won't be doing it just because Plex is doing it.

I think I said before, typically speaking new things require new people. Existing developers joined the team because they had something they wanted to work on, and that's normally all they have time for. As far as I know, there is no technical or moral objection to being on Xbox One, but it would be a major project. The existing win32 binary won't run on the Xbox One. Some existing XBMC developers might be interested but might not have the time or resources.

I don't doubt that, in time, XBMC will likely move to these new APIs or ones like it, since Microsoft is really pushing them for the future of all things Windows as well. The only way to make it happen sooner is to get more people interested in developing for XBMC. New things require new people.

aahhh alright! Thanks for the explanation.
Ok I feel like I've antagonized some people here which was so totally not my intention. All I was trying to say is Xbox gave Plex developer status to create an app which means the door is open for XBMC as well and as a huge fan of XBMC I'm hoping the amazing team behind it is willing to step thru that door and add another platform to the already impressive lineup that supports XBMC. Switching to Plex is not really an option for me but it might be for others all I was trying to do was point that out. Once again I apologize if I offended any of the hard working team members.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
(2014-04-06, 10:23)Ned Scott Wrote: Does it matter for users who will never code? Oh god yes. For example, without XBMC then Plex would have not had a starting point, and might have never happened. The internet as we know it would be far less evolved and probably be fragmented and broken. I'm far from a bleeding heart FLOSS guy, and I have no issues using closed source software, but even I know that it matters for people who will never code.

My comment wasn't to discourage people from using Plex or things like Plex. My point was that just because Plex is an option doesn't make XBMC any less attractive. If all you want is what Plex offers, then why on earth would you bother with XBMC? If you've chosen XBMC over Plex, then you've probably done it for more reasons than just having something that can play video. Anything can play video. My toaster can play video.

The two boxes new boxes/platforms you mention (Fire TV and Google TV) have FULL XBMC support. There's a hardware decoding bug on the Fire TV right now, but hardware video decoding can and does work on it. Plex isn't passing us by. Our version of XBMC for Android is so much better than Plex on a set top box. Plex isn't evolving. That's one of the most absurd things I've seen written here, and I've read the thread on "objective storage". Comparing their thin client garbage to what XBMC can do, and saying Plex is passing us up? What are you smoking?

I'm not sorry at all that people can't use XBMC on a gaming console that can't do 1080 games in 2014. So in response to "your move", I say, "take my turn too, because you're going to need it if you ever want to catch up with XBMC".

Well of course we know Plex probably wouldn't be around if XBMC didn't exist, my reasoning for consumers caring if its open source or not is not about existence. It was more about have two products in front of them to chose from comparing features.. I think most users on here would rather use XBMC than Plex that's is why they want it on everything they own.

When someone comes on here and asks about XBMC on a new product and hears that it probably won't happen because all devs are busy on other stuff and then sees Plex is announced for Amazon FireTV and might be coming out on the new consoles they just might consider using Plex..

I have never used Plex so I really don't know if its better and I doubt I have ever said its better than XBMC, but when I said its evolving I wasn't implying its better. What I was implying is for example Plex is available on Rokus, some TVs, Windows 8, Windows phones and officially announced for Chromcast and Amazon FireTV. Also word that it might be available on the new Xbox too. Evolving in the sense that they are trying to get their program on new products. There apps are also available in the app stores and don't need to be sideloaded or jailbroken to install. I understand the reasoning for why XBMC isn't available in the official store. I'm just saying.. And I didn't say "your move XBMC" So I don't know if you were implying that comment to me..

We all know you guys have a certain direction you're going with this software and we do appreciate your work. If we didn't we wouldn't be here on the forums and people wouldn't be asking for XBMC on everything under the sun.

I have never used our even bothered to learn about plex because I had no interest, but doesn't it require a server software to be installed on one computer and that is what handles the grunt of the work whereas the clients are basically just receiving a stream? Maybe I'm wrong but if that's the case I'm sure it's much easier for them to put out a simple client for whatever comes out whereas xbmc is a full program running on the client. It's a lot more work to port a full blown program then a streaming client I would assume. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
(2014-04-07, 00:14)LazerBlue Wrote: I have never used our even bothered to learn about plex because I had no interest, but doesn't it require a server software to be installed on one computer and that is what handles the grunt of the work whereas the clients are basically just receiving a stream? Maybe I'm wrong but if that's the case I'm sure it's much easier for them to put out a simple client for whatever comes out whereas xbmc is a full program running on the client. It's a lot more work to port a full blown program then a streaming client I would assume. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

From what i've recently read about Plex that sounds correct they also charge a fee for the apps (server software seems to be free but the apps for you iPad Apple TV or eventually the xbox one all cost money and they also charge a subscription to be able to access your media outside of your local network. Now I don't mind paying for a good service but having to buy an app for my iPad and xbox one plus pay a subscription fee seems steep granted you can by a lifetime membership for only $75. but I'll admit I like the idea of being able to access my media without jailbreaking my iPad.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
They charge for the apps that aren't based on XBMC, so OSX and windows clients are free. You don't need to pay a subscription. Plex is excellent software and its client-server model offers many advantages over XBMC. I use both; Plex on mobile platforms and XBMC natively on my HTPC.

It sounds like ID@Xbox apps aren't sandboxed, so I agree that they would be hesitant to allow something like XBMC, a thick application running locally rather than a thin client. Of course you'll never know if you don't try, and like someone said in the other thread, a WinRT XBMC port is likely to come along at some point.
There are rumors that the new Xbox boss is considering to reverse the Live Gold requirement for using the streaming apps.
would love to see an xbmc app on xbox one, fantastic program.

from the MS build conference they basically said the xbox one is running windows 8 under the hood.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-651

as xbmc already works with windows 8 surely this would not be a large port.
forgive my ignorance if missing something obvious.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One as a host for XBMC2