Xbox One as a host for XBMC
(2014-04-15, 18:05)ciaran75 Wrote: would love to see an xbmc app on xbox one, fantastic program.

from the MS build conference they basically said the xbox one is running windows 8 under the hood.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/2-651

as xbmc already works with windows 8 surely this would not be a large port.
forgive my ignorance if missing something obvious.

yeah whould like to know if it really is a big port?
(2014-04-15, 18:05)ciaran75 Wrote: as xbmc already works with windows 8 surely this would not be a large port.
forgive my ignorance if missing something obvious.
You are, yes. XBMC runs on win32, the windows API around since windows95 (well, technically windows 3.11).

Windows8 introduced an entirely new API called WinRT. All windows8 apps in the metro UI use WinRT. Windows RT (which is windows8 on ARM chips, like the SurfaceRT and Surface 2), windows phone 8.1, and Xbox One apps also use WinRT with various fiddly little differences.

So yes, WinRT would be a full port.
(2014-04-04, 02:33)menkalos Wrote: They allow Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, etc. So why not the content on my local drive?

Because according to the DMCA the contents on your local drive are, most likely, illegal.
(2014-04-15, 17:20)z31fanatic Wrote: There are rumors that the new Xbox boss is considering to reverse the Live Gold requirement for using the streaming apps.

I think this would be a good move for them, just because it would open up the market for some people who just want to stream Netflix. I know several girls that own Playstation 3's purely for the purpose of streaming Netflix. I'm sure MS lost some of that potential market due to the requirement of needing Xbox Live Gold.
(2014-04-06, 10:44)Ned Scott Wrote: . New things require new people.
Well, new things require new people if you keep on doing some of the old things that are less valuable. There is a huge potential in having XBMC on the Xbox One and the potential is so big that its worth considering what to stop in order to get it done. Ultimately, you dont have to do all things ,but a few quite well. And Xbox One is potentially the best HTPC hardware platform out there. What it misses is exactly what XBMC has, its such a natural fit.
thanks for explanation rodalpho
(2014-04-16, 09:32)gaburko Wrote:
(2014-04-06, 10:44)Ned Scott Wrote: . New things require new people.
Well, new things require new people if you keep on doing some of the old things that are less valuable. There is a huge potential in having XBMC on the Xbox One and the potential is so big that its worth considering what to stop in order to get it done.

The devs working on XBMC do so because they are interested in the bits they are doing. It's not a company trying to develop a product.

Quote:And Xbox One is potentially the best HTPC hardware platform out there. What it misses is exactly what XBMC has, its such a natural fit.

For a large number of people XBox One would make a very poor HTPC platform, quite possible the worst platform. It is expensive, and what that extra money buys is totally irrelevant to many people (eg. the ability to play games, and all the other give-money-to-Microsoft stuff). Judging by the number of threads here the small, cheap ARM+Android units are much more interesting.
(2014-04-16, 10:21)twelvebore Wrote:
Quote:And Xbox One is potentially the best HTPC hardware platform out there. What it misses is exactly what XBMC has, its such a natural fit.

For a large number of people XBox One would make a very poor HTPC platform, quite possible the worst platform. It is expensive, and what that extra money buys is totally irrelevant to many people (eg. the ability to play games, and all the other give-money-to-Microsoft stuff). Judging by the number of threads here the small, cheap ARM+Android units are much more interesting.

Co-sign. After setting up an NUC, I'd never use any console as a HTPC, even if XBMC ran on it. The NUC is so small and clean looking that I couldn't imagine something as big and as VCR-like as the Xbox One being in its place. I'd even sooner build a mini ITX build with a small case and a NM70/1037u than use a console. I'd say the Xbox One is a terrible HTPC platform if you intend to buy it mainly for HTPC purposes. It just doesn't make sense. For $500, I can build or buy 2 or 3 highly capable HTPC devices (NUC, Chromebox, custom build, etc). The Xbox One should only be purchased if you plan on playing games that are exclusive to the Xbox One. Apart from that, it's not a good value in any sense IMO.

EDIT: Actually, I would probably use an original Xbox once in a while just for nostalgia lol. I might even run Xbox Media Player on it just to really throw it all the way back to the roots.

(2014-04-16, 10:21)twelvebore Wrote: For a large number of people XBox One would make a very poor HTPC platform, quite possible the worst platform. It is expensive, and what that extra money buys is totally irrelevant to many people (eg. the ability to play games, and all the other give-money-to-Microsoft stuff). Judging by the number of threads here the small, cheap ARM+Android units are much more interesting.

yes it would not be worth buying an xbox one just for xbmc but for the 4+ million of people who already own one and people who intend on buying one for gaming etc. it would be a perfect addition. having a world class media player directly on the box. perfect fit. would allow people to remove that extra box from home setup to far superior hardware (most of time).

this is potentially a huge install base for xbmc as a lot of people have no interest or know how to setup a new HTPC but would love all the great features it provides. having this in the store where it was a click away would make it very easy for people.

just my two cents... i'm not a dev and appears to be a lot of work for it to happen so probably never will.
(2014-04-16, 12:12)ciaran75 Wrote:

(2014-04-16, 10:21)twelvebore Wrote: For a large number of people XBox One would make a very poor HTPC platform, quite possible the worst platform. It is expensive, and what that extra money buys is totally irrelevant to many people (eg. the ability to play games, and all the other give-money-to-Microsoft stuff). Judging by the number of threads here the small, cheap ARM+Android units are much more interesting.

yes it would not be worth buying an xbox one just for xbmc but for the 4+ million of people who already own one and people who intend on buying one for gaming etc. it would be a perfect addition. having a world class media player directly on the box. perfect fit. would allow people to remove that extra box from home setup to far superior hardware (most of time).

this is potentially a huge install base for xbmc as a lot of people have no interest or know how to setup a new HTPC but would love all the great features it provides. having this in the store where it was a click away would make it very easy for people.

just my two cents... i'm not a dev and appears to be a lot of work for it to happen so probably never will.

But the thing is, most of those 4 million people would not use XBMC. Honestly, if you don't have a lot of local media (and a lot of people don't), there's not as much advantage in using XBMC. The reason I use XBMC is because I have a lot of local media in different formats and XBMC organizes it and plays it without a hitch. If all I do is watch Netflix and listen to music on iTunes, how useful will XBMC be for me? I'm not saying that XBMC wouldn't encourage people to develop their local media libraries, but I wouldn't necessarily think that the install base could get as big as 4 million users, or even up to 1 million currently. XBMC does require just a little bit of technological savviness that many people don't have or want to get just to use one program.
Yes, they would. Plex requires the user to setup a server on a PC in their home network. That's an annoying extra step. Also, Plex is phenominally successful, and they charge a couple bucks for the client. XBMC would be free. The Xbox One also has HDMI passthrough and voice control, both of which are very cool for a media platform. XBMC would be a huge success on Xboxone, if the various licenses allowed it, microsoft allowed it on the platform, and devs popped up to actually create the thing.

Traditional XBMC on linux/windows/whatever is great, but it lacks remote-controllable Netflix, Amazon Instant, and Hulu+. Higher-powered android boxes like the firetv may be a better answer for most people, once they're fully hacked so they work in a polished manner.
(2014-04-17, 20:29)rodalpho Wrote: Yes, they would. Plex requires the user to setup a server on a PC in their home network. That's an annoying extra step. Also, Plex is phenominally successful, and they charge a couple bucks for the client. XBMC would be free. The Xbox One also has HDMI passthrough and voice control, both of which are very cool for a media platform. XBMC would be a huge success on Xboxone, if the various licenses allowed it, microsoft allowed it on the platform, and devs popped up to actually create the thing.

Traditional XBMC on linux/windows/whatever is great, but it lacks remote-controllable Netflix, Amazon Instant, and Hulu+. Higher-powered android boxes like the firetv may be a better answer for most people, once they're fully hacked so they work in a polished manner.

You just described the pros and cons of XBMC vs. Plex and XBMC on a console vs. a PC. What I am referring to is that many people simply wouldn't know what to do with XBMC, and a lot of them might also not have a use for it because they don't have a lot local media. And what does "phenominally" successful mean? Are there any numbers to describe how many people actually use or are familiar with Plex? I don't think the average Xbox One gamer is familiar with Plex or XBMC, to be quite honest. Remember that we're talking about mainstream, non-techy people who just want to play video games.
(2014-04-19, 01:09)two515ty Wrote:
(2014-04-17, 20:29)rodalpho Wrote: Yes, they would. Plex requires the user to setup a server on a PC in their home network. That's an annoying extra step. Also, Plex is phenominally successful, and they charge a couple bucks for the client. XBMC would be free. The Xbox One also has HDMI passthrough and voice control, both of which are very cool for a media platform. XBMC would be a huge success on Xboxone, if the various licenses allowed it, microsoft allowed it on the platform, and devs popped up to actually create the thing.

You just described the pros and cons of XBMC vs. Plex and XBMC on a console vs. a PC. What I am referring to is that many people simply wouldn't know what to do with XBMC, and a lot of them might also not have a use for it because they don't have a lot local media. And what does "phenominally" successful mean? Are there any numbers to describe how many people actually use or are familiar with Plex? I don't think the average Xbox One gamer is familiar with Plex or XBMC, to be quite honest. Remember that we're talking about mainstream, non-techy people who just want to play video games.

"XBMC was originally created as a media center application for the first-generation Xbox game console"
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...About_XBMC

Now all of a sudden, it's completely useless as an addon to the Xbox One. Sorry lol, but your argument is EXTREMELY flawed.

XBMC would be nice on the Xbox One. End story. People went through TONS of hassle to use the original XBMC on Xbox. People will use it on Xbox One if it's available.
(2014-04-19, 03:23)tential Wrote: "XBMC was originally created as a media center application for the first-generation Xbox game console"

Now all of a sudden, it's completely useless as an addon to the Xbox One. Sorry lol, but your argument is EXTREMELY flawed.

XBMC would be nice on the Xbox One. End story. People went through TONS of hassle to use the original XBMC on Xbox. People will use it on Xbox One if it's available.

It made sense back in the days when the original xbox was cheaper and higher video quality than a custom built PC connected to the TV. Price was also a major motivating factor for the original ATV2 port, making new XBMC hardware under $100. The original xbox wasn't attractive because it was a console, but because it was basically an off-the-shelf PC for cheap, and people had already hacked it.

The Xbox One isn't cheap, isn't hacked, nor does it do a better job at picture quality when compared to hardware that is half the price. All the reasons that made the original xbox attractive are missing from the Xbox One.
(2014-04-19, 03:23)tential Wrote:
(2014-04-19, 01:09)two515ty Wrote:

"XBMC was originally created as a media center application for the first-generation Xbox game console"

Like the person I quoted before you, you still never explained what about XBMC will make the average Xbox One owner be interested in it.

And no, it's not "all of a sudden", it's 2 console generations and 12 years years after the original Xbox was released. That's a lot of time in the world of technology. In that time, our standards for media have changed and a video game console is no longer the only cheap, capable, and reliable media player on the market like the original Xbox was back in its day. Today, there are too many options for media access (read: Netflix, Hulu, etc.) for people to go through as much hassle to use XBMC, unless they're actually interested in a media center experience.

I didn't say people wouldn't use it on the Xbox One, I said that most of the people who own an Xbox One probably wouldn't be interested in XBMC, just because they don't have a lot of local media.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One as a host for XBMC2