Xbox One as a host for XBMC
(2014-04-19, 05:21)two515ty Wrote: Today, there are too many options for media access (read: Netflix, Hulu, etc.) for people to go through as much hassle to use XBMC, unless they're actually interested in a media center experience.

I didn't say people wouldn't use it on the Xbox One, I said that most of the people who own an Xbox One probably wouldn't be interested in XBMC, just because they don't have a lot of local media.

And those that do want the media center experience and have a lot of local media probably already have a very capable system to use. And as my brother in law showed me, it can also be controlled by the Kinect voice thing very well.
What about XBMC will make the average original Xbox user interested?

Especially when back then, the average XBOX user wasn't going to do the work necessary to get XBMC to make it work, didn't own more than a 250GB for local storage, etc.

Your argument is just completely flawed in that the XBMC STARTED on the Xbox, back when there were TONS more barriers to people using it, VERY few people with large local media storage back in 2003, yet there was still interest.

It's not even a debatable point. If XBMC comes to Xbox One, there will be users, even more users than there were on the original xbox due to the fact that people have become more knowledgable about media.

There are TONS of reasons why XBMC won't come to the Xbox One. Your argument is the weakest and silliest of them all lol.
(2014-04-19, 05:46)tential Wrote: What about XBMC will make the average original Xbox user interested?

Especially when back then, the average XBOX user wasn't going to do the work necessary to get XBMC to make it work, didn't own more than a 250GB for local storage, etc.

Let's just keep it real - the reason why people modded the original Xbox or got it modded (emphasis on this part - paying someone $50-$100 or getting it done for free if possible was a worthwhile investment) was for piracy. Yes you could mod an Xbox just to play videos...but if you were modding your Xbox to play videos, those videos were probably downloaded illegally. If you were modding your Xbox to play "backup" games, those games were probably downloaded or copied illegally. THAT is what about XBMC made the original modded Xbox owner interested. It was an easy way to play pirated content on an inexpensive device with a very easy, convenient setup. Back then, there was nothing else at all that compared to Xbox Media Center.

Also, I never said that the average Xbox owner was interested in modding or even in XBMC. Relatively speaking, the proportion of Xbox owners that had modded consoles and used XBMC compared to those who didn't was very small. I said that the average Xbox One owner wouldn't be interested in it because they would likely already have a cheaper alternative, or not have a proper use for XBMC.

Many people upgraded the storage on their Xbox consoles to accommodate the fact that they could basically load it up with almost anything (Xbox games, emulated console games/ROMS, movies, music, etc.). If you're talking about storage, the Xbox One's storage can't even be upgraded! That makes it even worse, unless you plan to just use it as a client for streaming.

(2014-04-19, 05:46)tential Wrote: Your argument is just completely flawed in that the XBMC STARTED on the Xbox, back when there were TONS more barriers to people using it, VERY few people with large local media storage back in 2003, yet there was still interest.

You don't understand my argument. I'm saying that the percentage of Xbox One owners who would be interested in XBMC is going to be just as small as it was on the original Xbox. The difference this time, is that it made a lot more sense to use an Xbox console as a media center device because it was the perfect candidate and there were far fewer options that performed as well back then. In today's market, I'd say the Xbox One would be a secondary XBMC machine just because most people who want the functionality of XBMC would have already found an option that's cheaper and possibly more capable than the Xbox One.

Think about it: what other device was available at the same time as the original Xbox (2001-2005ish) that was:
  • Cheap
  • Readily available
  • Capable of playing almost every media format
  • Remote control friendly
  • Plug and play setup
?

I can't think of any myself. But today, when the Xbox One is available, I can list several devices that can do many of the things the original Xbox was used to do:
  • Intel NUC
  • Gigabyte Brix
  • Custom HTPC
  • Amazon Fire Player
  • Roku
  • Apple TV
  • WDTV Live Player
  • Android devices
  • Damn near every other random brand of internet media player available

Many of those options are quite viable, cheap, and easy enough to setup that it wouldn't make sense for someone to invest in the Xbox One as an XBMC device, the same way it made sense back when the original Xbox was out. They're all also a lot cheaper than the Xbox One, which is another important point.

(2014-04-19, 05:46)tential Wrote: It's not even a debatable point.

Then why are we still debating it? Why am I still able to come up with logical responses, while you keep misconstruing and misunderstanding what I am saying?

(2014-04-19, 05:46)tential Wrote: If XBMC comes to Xbox One, there will be users, even more users than there were on the original xbox due to the fact that people have become more knowledgable about media.

Which people? Certainly not the average gamer. Regardless, those that are "knowledgeable about media" probably aren't trying to use the Xbox One as a media device! Like I said, if you have a local media collection, there are many other options out there that would do a better job than the Xbox One. The only people that would truly benefit from XBMC on the Xbox One are the people that have not yet invested in one of those other options.

(2014-04-19, 05:46)tential Wrote: There are TONS of reasons why XBMC won't come to the Xbox One. Your argument is the weakest and silliest of them all lol.

What is weak and silly about my argument? All I am saying is that the demand may not be high enough for Team XBMC to invest in making an Xbox One port. I have provided reasons to support my argument (which you have yet to fully disprove), and I think it makes sense. I never said that my argument would be the be-all and end-all of why XBMC won't make it to the Xbox One, I just said that it's one reason among many.
Not to ruffle any feathers but if theres a port for platforms like raspberry pi and ubuntu/linux which I have no hard facts to back up my argument but I suspect have a very small number of users why can't there be one for the xbox one? It's a strong solid platform and if it's developed with Microsofts blessing then that alone eliminates the battle that Apple tv and the like have to fight. Apple is always releasing updates to counter all the hard work that has been done therefore creating more work for the development team to repair the damage. If Microsoft grants developer rights then you have them working with you as opposed to against you. To me that is the strongest reason to do it.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
(2014-04-19, 14:39)CharlieM Wrote: Not to ruffle any feathers but if theres a port for platforms like raspberry pi and ubuntu/linux which I have no hard facts to back up my argument but I suspect have a very small number of users why can't there be one for the xbox one? It's a strong solid platform and if it's developed with Microsofts blessing then that alone eliminates the battle that Apple tv and the like have to fight. Apple is always releasing updates to counter all the hard work that has been done therefore creating more work for the development team to repair the damage. If Microsoft grants developer rights then you have them working with you as opposed to against you. To me that is the strongest reason to do it.

Couldn't agree more.

Because Microsofts blessing doesn't mean squat, their terms and agreements will have a revoke clause.

For arguments sake lets say someone went to the trouble of porting XBMC to WinRT API and MS even gave it's approval on Xbox One, all it would take is one of MS media partners to take a look and see what's going on in the unfortunately miss-used plugin system with pirated channels and demand MS pull the plug or they lose their support across MS entire product range (certain TV parters will absolutely do this), MS values their support far more than a media player.

All that work down the drain, in all likely hood if media players survive on the Xbox One marketplace then someone will cook up their own media centre app that will be in compliance and wont get knocked off the box, demand/interest in XBMC on Xbox will fade away.

I'd go ask the Firecore guys they have a nice but basic commercial media center app called Infuse & see if they would port that to Xbox.
Well thats kind of a doom and gloom attitude. But plug ins like ice films and 1channel do not need to be included because that is flat out piracy. As far as locally stored media goes that is probably just people backing up there own media. Just the locally stored media playback and media info/synopsis (or on a network) skins that kind of thing.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
XBMC without add ons would be depressing considering how much use I get out of them. For that reason alone , I would not even bother. They would have to severely nerf any type of add on support

Your opinions on any addons aside, there is no denying some of them are awesome as hell

Not to say I'm against the idea completely though..

Once either PS4 or XB1 is hacked, that's when I'd like to see it
I really don't see Microsoft allowing XBMC to run on the XBOX. Take this for instance https://video.xbox.com/ or Netflix, etc etc. There's too many reasons for them NOT to run XBMC (without crippling it) on their console... May suck, but it's more realistic
Well forget the whole idea then. You people are the biggest naysayers with the most absolutely negative attitude I've ever encountered. You have made an amazing product that millions of people love and instead of finding a way to put it on the 5 million Xbox One consoles sold you whine and say Microsoft will do everything they can to stop you or strip it down (some stripping isn't necessarily a bad thing). Without even trying to get developer status or discuss it with Microsoft your first instinct is to wait until its hacked which is stupid as they will simply put out an update to defeat your hard work. Your terrified to even attempt to work with them instead of against them. I find it very frustrating. Now I know this rant will offend and upset some people but just try to deny there's no truth in it.
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
(2014-04-20, 16:20)CharlieM Wrote: Well forget the whole idea then. You people are the biggest naysayers with the most absolutely negative attitude I've ever encountered. You have made an amazing product that millions of people love and instead of finding a way to put it on the 5 million Xbox One consoles sold you whine and say Microsoft will do everything they can to stop you or strip it down (some stripping isn't necessarily a bad thing). Without even trying to get developer status or discuss it with Microsoft your first instinct is to wait until its hacked which is stupid as they will simply put out an update to defeat your hard work. Your terrified to even attempt to work with them instead of against them. I find it very frustrating. Now I know this rant will offend and upset some people but just try to deny there's no truth in it.

I see your frustration but I see the same from the Devs point of view at the same time , after all the modding that went on with the 360 and the PS3 there is no way MS or Sony would even consider XBMC on there consoles . I would like to see XBMC on both consoles too but lets face the facts 9 out of 10 people buy it for one reason alone Gaming .
Most of peoples local content will be pirated to is the answer MS and Sony will state when you go down that route hence Cinavia . If you where a Dev and rooted anyone of these console to XBMC it would just be and endless game/challenge as they update there consoles you have to find away round . Not worth the hassles and you would only be frustrated every time you see the system update when you want to watch a film or tv series and end up posting about when will it be fix .

Your best off just sticking to what you know works like a PC , ATV or android box .Wink
Well I believe they would allow it. It would prevent the hacking of the console which leads to video game piracy. I think it would be in their best interests to work with you. After all with modding they risk game piracy while working with you it can be prevented. As far as media content goes it's not theirs thats at risk. Give the people what they want and they'll work with you not against you. As far as ATV goes thats a system that is updated infrequently and once it is you have to work around the new update. While as a developer they let you know before hand of the update so you can incorporate the changes into your program (correct me if i'm wrong but I believe thats how it works). I do appreciate you listening to my point of view without getting all defensive like some people tend to do. I'm not trying to antagonize anyone just change the thought process a bit. I realize XBMC is not Plex my only point is simply if Plex has been granted permission than why not XBMC?
Mac mini 2012
Drobo 4 bay
4 three terabyte HHD
Drobo 5 bay
5 four terabyte HHD
(2014-04-20, 16:20)CharlieM Wrote: Well forget the whole idea then. You people are the biggest naysayers with the most absolutely negative attitude I've ever encountered. You have made an amazing product that millions of people love and instead of finding a way to put it on the 5 million Xbox One consoles sold you whine and say Microsoft will do everything they can to stop you or strip it down (some stripping isn't necessarily a bad thing). Without even trying to get developer status or discuss it with Microsoft your first instinct is to wait until its hacked which is stupid as they will simply put out an update to defeat your hard work. Your terrified to even attempt to work with them instead of against them. I find it very frustrating. Now I know this rant will offend and upset some people but just try to deny there's no truth in it.

Remember, the devs that work on this amazing software do so because they have some time to dedicate to it and because they want to. None of them get paid to do so, so why would they want to spend a lot of time working on something that may not benefit them and that may or may not be approved for use.
Remember also this is open source so feel free to grab the source code and port it yourself if you feel it would be a great product for the Xbox One.

There is a benefit to plex working on porting it because that is another platform they could charge for. You will never get charged to use XBMC.
Not trying to be negative.
Do add-ons work with Android? I highly doubt everyone that bought or that's interested in the Amazon Fire TV bought it for just XBMC add-ons. They want a device/settop box with a remote that can run XBMC.. I think anyone looking to run specific add-ons that can't be talked about here need to use a PC anyways..

Then I suggest you contact MS and ask them... XBMC won't affect there sales one way or the other in any significant way. The amount of XBMC users are dwarfed in comparison to number of XBOX consoles sold. I doubt that there are that many XBMC users that would suddenly buy an XBOX just for XBMC... and those who do won't affect sales in any great way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbox One as a host for XBMC2