TV goes to 1080i when playing 1080p23.976 content
I have a sony kdl 550 series led tv. It can display 1080p24 content. I use windows 8 with an amd video card hdmi and all works very well.

I noticed when I match display refresh rate to the 1080p23.976 content (through xbmc), the tv goes into 1080i mode. All other things I do like Netflix, the tv stays at 1080p. Even the menu of xbmc is 1080p.

If I turn off the match display refresh rate in xbmc, the movie plays in 1080p but you can tell it's a bit jittery.

My amp is a 2 year old pioneer that I run the audio and video through. I can't see it being this..

Anybody know whatay be going on here?
Well the issue isn't with XBMC, it's with your AMD settings (screenshots of which settings you use would be helpful) or possibly an obscure TV issue - but I doubt the latter.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-04-04, 09:25)Piers Wrote: Well the issue isn't with XBMC, it's with your AMD settings (screenshots of which settings you use would be helpful) or possibly an obscure TV issue - but I doubt the latter.

Hi Piers,

Thanks for responding and helping me. Here are my screenshots you requested:

http://s940.photobucket.com/user/casefresh/library/xbmc
Tongue 
Seriously, photos? What's wrong with a good old screenshot? :p

I've taken a look and the configuration you use is more or less the same as mine (I don't use ITC and don't use 'Enforce smooth video playback' as all that really does is disable feature that you've already disabled - more or less.

You've also got 23 showing on Windows which is good.

So your set up looks absolutely fine. Now would it be possible to do the same when watching a file in XBMC and pressing 'O' on your keyboard?

(2014-04-05, 13:36)Piers Wrote: Seriously, photos? What's wrong with a good old screenshot? :p

I've taken a look and the configuration you use is more or less the same as mine (I don't use ITC and don't use 'Enforce smooth video playback' as all that really does is disable feature that you've already disabled - more or less.

You've also got 23 showing on Windows which is good.

So your set up looks absolutely fine. Now would it be possible to do the same when watching a file in XBMC and pressing 'O' on your keyboard?

Sorry about taking the pics Piers Smile My HTPC only plays movies and thought it would be a process to take the screenshots and get them to a computer to post (well I could have stuck them on my network Smile.

Anyway, I have put more pics of the info you requested (just click the photobucket link on my earlier post). Again, it only drops to 1080i when I have the setting 'match refresh rate with video playback in xbmc. My TV is a sony kdl70r550 series tv brand new and says it can do 1080p24 content. Maybe my amd setting does not have it added as an option to display 1080p24 content maybe? It's weird, everything else is 1080p - menu, Netflix, desktop screen, etc.
It might be worth:

1) Trying Gotham and seeing how that works out.

2) Making sure you have 1080p24 added in CCC 3 or 4 times - I've had to do the same for multiple set ups in order to get it working correctly.

What does your TV say it's playing at? (photo helpful)
What does it say when you press Z (just press it once) (photo helpful)

Stupid question: how are you determining that you're TV is in 1080i? My guess is that the TV gives you an info display stating such, but I'd just like to be sure.

From your description and pictures, I'm understanding that your PC (laptop?) goes to your Pioneer VSX-1122 amp via HDMI, then to your TV via HDMI. Have you tested just putting your PC directly to your TV to see if it does the same thing?

Do you have XMBC set to display in a fullscreen window or true fullscreen?

If that is your AMP, it appears there is a firmware update released that says it improves the stability of the HDMI connection as well as "other improvements". Seems that your TV has a firmware update also, but the changelog listed doesn't appear to list much of note that might address your issue. Both might be worth a shot if you are comfortable with the process, but this suggestion is really more for future benefit and completeness. Weird things are addressed by firmware updates, I've found.

If you post a debug log to xbmclogs.com, maybe someone can see what's going on in the background.

Nice TV & amp, btw.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
(2014-04-04, 09:25)Piers Wrote: Well the issue isn't with XBMC, it's with your AMD settings (screenshots of which settings you use would be helpful) or possibly an obscure TV issue - but I doubt the latter.

(2014-04-06, 12:43)Piers Wrote: It might be worth:

1) Trying Gotham and seeing how that works out.

2) Making sure you have 1080p24 added in CCC 3 or 4 times - I've had to do the same for multiple set ups in order to get it working correctly.

What does your TV say it's playing at? (photo helpful)
What does it say when you press Z (just press it once) (photo helpful)

Thanks Piers, I will post those pics for you to take a look. Could you give me a walkthrough on how to add 1080p24 to ccc. I think I know where, but I don't know what is already there and what needs to be added.

(2014-04-06, 15:55)Jogee Wrote: Stupid question: how are you determining that you're TV is in 1080i? My guess is that the TV gives you an info display stating such, but I'd just like to be sure.

From your description and pictures, I'm understanding that your PC (laptop?) goes to your Pioneer VSX-1122 amp via HDMI, then to your TV via HDMI. Have you tested just putting your PC directly to your TV to see if it does the same thing?

Do you have XMBC set to display in a fullscreen window or true fullscreen?

If that is your AMP, it appears there is a firmware update released that says it improves the stability of the HDMI connection as well as "other improvements". Seems that your TV has a firmware update also, but the changelog listed doesn't appear to list much of note that might address your issue. Both might be worth a shot if you are comfortable with the process, but this suggestion is really more for future benefit and completeness. Weird things are addressed by firmware updates, I've found.

If you post a debug log to xbmclogs.com, maybe someone can see what's going on in the background.

Nice TV & amp, btw.

Yep, all firmware is up to date. Not worth doing bypassing the amp I think because 1080p content works in all other scenarios. I know it's reading 1080i when playing 1080p24 content with xbmc martching display refresh rate to content by pressing the tv info display button. When this(match display refresh rate) is off, it is 1080p on the tv info display.

Xbmc is set to NOT use a full screen window rather than true fullscreen (disabled)
Hi Piers, Jogee,

I have added pictures to my photobucket link showing the display from xbmc (pressing z). I have also added the tv info display and it showing 1080i on the exact same video. I have also added a pic of the instruction manual from the sony TV stating 1080p24 content..

Which display should I believe? Did you see 1080p24 added in my CCC settings? Not sure what to make of where to put that in/if it is already there in CCC....

http://s940.photobucket.com/user/casefresh/library/xbmc
Well all your settings look correct and the TV is displaying 1080 content at 23.976fps. Why it says 1080i on you TV OSD I'm not sure.

To add another 1080p24 to CCC you need to add another mode to the supported HDTV modes - it will only report what it thinks your AVR is capable of - rather than your TV.

(2014-04-06, 19:15)Piers Wrote: Well all your settings look correct and the TV is displaying 1080 content at 23.976fps. Why it says 1080i on you TV OSD I'm not sure.

To add another 1080p24 to CCC you need to add another mode to the supported HDTV modes - it will only report what it thinks your AVR is capable of - rather than your TV.

Hi Piers, where do I do that within CCC?
(2014-04-06, 19:15)Piers Wrote: Well all your settings look correct and the TV is displaying 1080 content at 23.976fps. Why it says 1080i on you TV OSD I'm not sure.

Ok, I figured out where it was in ccc. Added it and it did not change. My TV still displayed 1080i. Must be a firmware bug with TV when 1080p23.976 content is played.

It would be good to know from others that have a sony 550a series tv if they have the same thing when playing 1080p23.976 content (to have TV display 1080i in display info).
Ah, sorry that didn't help. There really aren't any other settings in XBMC or CCC that require changing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV goes to 1080i when playing 1080p23.976 content0