Building a cheap gaming pc ...
Hi guys,
I've recently inherited a HP 6200 Pro which comes with the Intel i5-2400 CPU. I want to build a gaming/media PC to sell on eBay, so I'll need a new case, mobo & psu.

I'd like to try and make maximum profit out of this so I can finally buy a Intel NUC that I've been saving for.

I'd be willing to spend up to £100 in order to make this build, please can someone suggest some worthy hardware?

I'm hoping that by spending a bit of money building a gaming PC would allow me to sell on for £200-300+ , is this a realistic expectation?

Alternatively, if I can't make much profit out of selling it, how viable would it be to build a gaming rig that's comparable with the next gen consoles, and how much would need to be spent to achieve that level of performance?

Thanks in advance!
Prices vary alot, parts fall off the marked and prices drop with age. That said, comparing "apples" to approximately match up a computer to Xbox One or PS4 - this article should give you a decent indication at what kind of upgrades you're looking for - and you can adjust for todays prices.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/p...pc/#!CNXGM

That said - you're posting in the HTPC/ XBMC forum. Your thread seem mainly targeted at building a gaming rig. Belongs here: Off-topic
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Your expectations are unrealistic.

I am unsure why you are planning on replacing every part on the PC, or why you haven't factored in a video card as it will be the most important part of the gaming PC. This also does not tell us anything about memory(RAM) the PC has, or whether that would need to be upgraded. Either way, an appropriate video card will consume most if not all of your budget. You might be better off selling it as is.

To build a comparable to the next gen consoles. Currently a Geforce 750ti would be you best bang for the buck It should put you where you need/want to be.
(2014-04-05, 15:52)ertman Wrote: Your expectations are unrealistic.

I am unsure why you are planning on replacing every part on the PC, or why you haven't factored in a video card as it will be the most important part of the gaming PC. This also does not tell us anything about memory(RAM) the PC has, or whether that would need to be upgraded. Either way, an appropriate video card will consume most if not all of your budget. You might be better off selling it as is.

To build a comparable to the next gen consoles. Currently a Geforce 750ti would be you best bang for the buck It should put you where you need/want to be.

Sorry, I should have clarified in my OP, I got the PC from work (they were just about to chuck it in the bin!!!) so I offered to re-home it as I thought there may be some value in it. My initial intention was to stick the system into a new case and sell on ebay, I'd then put cash made from the sale towards a new NUC! The reason for putting it in a new case was because the original HP case has the company security stickers on it, which as far as I know cannot be removed and selling it with security stickers on might cause some unnecessary concern for the buyer. Unfortunately though, there wasn't a removable backplate for the mobo, it's soldered to the case. This then meant I'd have to replace the mobo as it couldn't be housed in a new PC without a backplate. So the only components I could re-use from the original system would be the i5-2400 CPU and RAM (2x2GB).

Not entirely sure what I'll do with the components now as buying a case, mobo, GPU and probably some better RAM doesn't look like it'll create much profit to fund the NUC.
With that CPU and RAM - with todays price competition for "private vendors" - you're most likely going to take a hit when selling this, rather than earn a few bucks.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
Pull the motherboard, leave in the CPU and RAM and sell it on eBay as a combo. Sell the PSU separately. Recycle the case. You might get $100-$125 for the lot.

BTW, you don't absolutely have to have an I/O shield if it's your own PC.
Thanks for the advice, I've listed the components on eBay as a bundle.
To be fair, I believe this is likely to yield the largest profit. With todays price levels, it is very difficult to even "brake even" with "build & sell" - there is very little overall profit to be had in small-scale computer hardware sales (unless you deal in custom or rare goods). Hope you fetch a good price, and that you'll land your NUC soon Smile
The reason why build and sell probably doesn't work is because most people willing to take the risk buying a second hand PC are pretty price savvy and can fit their own parts. If you want to sell a complete unit then what you're selling (or what people think they're buying) is a hardware guarantee. For a one off sale this might not convince.

And the shipping on a tower PC is likely to cripple any profit.

I'd list it unmodded as a "buyer collect". Then whatever you get is all profit and no effort.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Building a cheap gaming pc ...0