Reusing existing skin artwork
Dear fellow skinners,

It is my first time skinning anything with XBMC, so my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. A search did not help me find an answer.

For my addon XBMC File Cleaner I have made a custom dialog that displays the contents of a log file (see the image below). In one of the stickies in this forum it says:
Quote:in case you're not a gifted graphic designer, there is a lot of open source artwork available you can include in your skin.
please remember, it is 'not ok' to just include whatever artwork you found on the internet that could be copyrighted.
I looked through the forum referred to in the sticky, but it appears there are hardly any images I can use as backgrounds for the window, the buttons and the scrollbar, as they are mostly just pictures of something random to use as backdrops. Since I use the Aeon Nox skin for my personal XBMC installation I then downloaded the nice background it provided for the dialog from its Github page. I would like to know if this is allowed, where and how I need to give credit, or where I must look to find suitable replacement artwork if it is not allowed.

Thanks in advance,
Anthirian

Hello,

I know your post is almost 2 weeks old, but I was wondering if you solved your problem.

I'm currently working on a skin myself and I'm doing my own artwork, from buttons and dialogs to backgrounds (to avoid copyright issues). So if you'd like, I could try to make some graphics (buttons, scrollbar and dialog backgrounds) for you and you can use them freely if you think they suit your skin.

An alternative solution would be to contact the creator of Aeon Nox and ask if you can use their artwork, if you haven't done that already.
I think that some skinners who use artwork from other skins give credit when they post the skin/wip on the forum writing "This skin uses artwork from [...] skin" or something similar.
You can also search on Google for buttons and icons for public domain use, maybe you find something.

Alex
As indicated by its LICENSE.txt file, Aeon Nox is Creative Commons 4.0 Non-Commercial so it should be entirely by fine to use graphics from it. Generally its a nice thing to give attribution for using others work in your README file or similar. The license indicates exactly what attribution must be given - see here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
Thanks for the replies. In the meantime I have decided to use Confluence artwork instead of Aeon Nox artwork because I was not sure what to do with the licensing. I assumed Confluence would make it easier and more in line with the default skin. However, I was unable to find a license file in the XBMC project on Github that applies to the artwork. I did find one in the fonts folder, but I'm not sure it applies to images in the media folder as well.

Also, once I want to give credit, where do I do it? I was thinking about a passage in the readme, but I'm not sure that's enough.
The license.gpl file in the base dir is the license
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/LICENSE.GPL

As long as it is just an addon for xbmc then including a copy of the license and an attribution in your readme would be fine I would think.
Arctic Fuse - Alpha now available. Support me on Ko-fi.
Okay, I'll do that then. Since I already have a GPLv3 license with my addon, will I need to include the separate GPLv2 as well?

Sorry for all the questions. I only took over development of the addon a few years ago and never really looked into licensing.
If you decided to give credit in the readme file, how about mentioning that that certain artwork is licensed under GPLv2? I'm not sure, but I think you could simply put a link to the GPLv2 in the passage you added to the readme, without having to include both licences.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Reusing existing skin artwork0