Looking for any easy set up.
Brand new here, so please be kind. I have managed to get xbmc working on my laptop, but failed to get the audio to play through my TV. Something about the hdmi option not listed in the sound settings. I've frankly lost patience...Is there a device that I can plus in through the TV and work? Simpler the better. Any help would be appreciated.
Almost any recent PC with HDMI out will work. Install openelec. Done.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I also suggest checking if there are more recent drivers available for your laptop - pretty much all components - but main focus would be anything related to audio or video. And have a look at your operating systems audio properties/settings. It could be as simple as HDMI audio just needs to be enabled.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
It might be hidden. In Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Playback, right click anywhere in the Playback box then select Show Disabled/Disconnected Devices. If it is disabled, enable it then select as a default device. In XBMC, you can select Analog 2.0 then DirectSound.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Tried all of these ideas,can't find..
I would like to find a box to hook up to out TV
Have you try to disable laptop speaker?
Tried that as well. I don't really want to use my laptop as a streaming device anyway. A dedicated box would be better.
(2014-04-05, 18:38)zacbrown Wrote: Tried that as well. I don't really want to use my laptop as a streaming device anyway. A dedicated box would be better.
Windows 7 box below should work....

2 * RJ45 LAN 4G RAM 64GB SSD Fanless Mini Computer Desktop PC Windows 7 HTPC Intel Celeron 1037U Dual Core 3D 1080P SD TF USB3.0
(2014-04-05, 21:30)bluray Wrote:
(2014-04-05, 18:38)zacbrown Wrote: Tried that as well. I don't really want to use my laptop as a streaming device anyway. A dedicated box would be better.
Windows 7 box below should work....

2 * RJ45 LAN 4G RAM 64GB SSD Fanless Mini Computer Desktop PC Windows 7 HTPC Intel Celeron 1037U Dual Core 3D 1080P SD TF USB3.0

That's pretty good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...05194540:s

I'd go with that and run OpenELEC though. But of course, you'd need some PC expertise and since you said easy, and you're having trouble getting HDMI output to work I dunno if that's for you lol. Probably just want to go with the option he presented already.
If you're in the US, I'd go with the Newegg suggestion. You take a big chance ordering off AliExpress. I've been ordering from China for resale for 3 years now and have personal relationships with manufacturers there and they still get 1/2 the orders wrong. You better know what you're doing and hope it doesn't show up broken.
Yeah buy from Dougie, he's already taken the hit from buying from AliExpress :-)

Man I hate that place. You're either ignored when making an enquiry, or they're all over you for weeks asking when you're going to place your order.

And the lies about products...

Our Prime Minister went to China a couple of weeks ago and secured a deal to get New Zealand products onto Alibaba.com. I just thought WHY!!!!!!
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-06, 03:58)nickr Wrote: Our Prime Minister went to China a couple of weeks ago and secured a deal to get New Zealand products onto Alibaba.com. I just thought WHY!!!!!!
WTF? O_o

@ zacbrown : Aliexpress is, as mentioned, a slightly risky way to go, Not reccommended it you don't have experience dealing with these types of sellers...And even then... Go with either the newegg box or an Intel NUC. The closer equivalent to the Gogabyte on newegg, would currently be Intel DN2820FYKH. You'll need a small 2.5" drive and a RAM stick, total cost ~$200 and up + shipping, depending on what storage and RAM you get. If you go with the Gigabyte kit, these take mSATA drives, not 2.5". mSata drives are quite a bit more expensive than 2.5" drives.

If you're not comfortable with Linux (although OpenELEC is not too freshman-unfriendly) - you can install Windows 7 or 8 on these. They are full-worthy computers.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge - please click the plus to the left below to give thanks
(2014-04-06, 15:39)pr0xZen Wrote: mSata drives are quite a bit more expensive than 2.5" drives.

Not so much any more, at least in the US. E.g. on Amazon the Crucial M500 120GB mSATA and 2.5" are both $74.99. The 240GB mSATA and 2.5" are also the same price, $119.99. In the smaller sizes, if you can find them, the mSATA tends to even be less expensive. For 32GB OpenELEC mSATA SSDs, good bargains can sometime be found on eBay in new laptop pulls. They are OEM drives pulled from new laptops but unused.
I like what I'm reading, although price change ripples move slowly towards Europe.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for any easy set up.1