Win Universal app for XBOX One
I am very surprised that there is no thread on this topic yet (or at least the search function did not spit out any results).

With Microsoft's new announcement, does this mean that we will see XBMC on the XBOX One shortly. The Plex forums are all over this news.

Thoughts?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5574596...phones-pcs
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
In fact they have been given a green light to start developing the app. So I hope the XBMC team will make One to.

https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/1...app/page-2
THIS! Getting XBMC on Windows 8.1 and Xbox would be insane. I can't see it though, they have not seemed that interested in 8.1.
If I understand correctly, it would be a new porting job. New work requires new people, as existing devs are most often already busy with existing tasks.
Are we really talking about a port? Would it be possible to submit the xbmc windows app? Maybe with some slight modifications (if any)?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
It would be a port. This isn't Microsoft adding win32 support to the xbox, this is Microsoft having standard APIs for building for Windows 8, Windows Phone, Xbox, etc.
(2014-04-05, 08:43)XtrordinarY Wrote: In fact they have been given a green light to start developing the app. So I hope the XBMC team will make One to.

Wow! That would be awesome if they made an app for the PS4 and Xbox One.

Quote:I would like to make you all aware of some very exciting news...

Microsoft has approved the development of a Plex Client for Xbox One.

That is correct, we have been granted membership into ID@Xbox specifically for the development and eventual release of Plex for Xbox One.

This is in no way saying that it will be coming next week, or even next month, but starting tonight I will be applying my first test code to an Xbox One.

More details will be coming soon.

Quote:.There is an existing app for Windows Phone 8, which itself will run on Windows Phone 8.1.

Xbox 360 is an entirely different platform from the Xbox One, so it would require entirely separate development.
Development for the Xbox 360 is significantly more expensive as the development kits themselves are still 10k.

As there is existing DLNA support on the 360, it doesn't really make sense to spend that kind of money to simply facilitate development on a last-gen platform.

On the other hand, code written for an app for Playstation 4 with minor tweaks and a recompile will run on the PS3 and Vita.
At present, there is nothing to announce regarding the Playstation 4 beyond it being an interesting platform.

Thank you very much for your patience in this matter, and thank you very much for your support.

I'd be all over the PS4 app but it doesn't sound like they are interested in it.. It would be awesome to have Plex or XBMC as an app for the next gen consoles.

If XBMC was an app on Xbox One I would purchase an Xbox One.
(2014-04-05, 18:11)tential Wrote: If XBMC was an app on Xbox One I would purchase an Xbox One.

same here!
(2014-04-05, 08:43)XtrordinarY Wrote: In fact they have been given a green light to start developing the app. So I hope the XBMC team will make One to.

That's also why XBMC probably won't ever appear in the Xbox One, the app has to be approved by the Xbox team to appear in their walled garden selection of apps.

Also as Ned said it would likely need new devs from the community willing to take a look as the present devs already have enough on their plates. The current devs will also likely see little benefit investing their precious time in an expensive console when there are far superior options at under half the price.
Why would MS not be interested in having XBMC? That would make the Xbox One the one device you need.
(2014-04-10, 12:03)Meister_Proper Wrote: Why would MS not be interested in having XBMC? That would make the Xbox One the one device you need.

The reasons are pretty much the same reason why Apple wouldn't be interested: Codec licensing and a python addon library that MS doesn't have control over. Even more than codec licensing, the idea of approving an app that can essentially transmute itself entirely using scripts and plugins totally beyond MS's control is a scary thing, particularly when the entire rest of Xbox is a walled garden.
Updates to this topic:

Xbox One will be running Windows 10
Universal App SDKs are being published this Spring with the first batch of apps expected by Summer
Every Xbox One can soon be turned into Dev Mode, giving you a $350 dev kit

In light of that, I see no organizational reasons why Kodi shouldn't come to the console. There will be technical work, I know, but to continue to ignore this built-in market and leave it to Plex seems a bad decision.
(2015-02-24, 22:01)skywalker993 Wrote: In light of that, I see no organizational reasons why Kodi shouldn't come to the console. There will be technical work, I know, but to continue to ignore this built-in market and leave it to Plex seems a bad decision.

Why do you think that it's a 'bad decision'?
skywalker993, do not make basically the same post in multiple areas of the forum, such behaviour is more likely to hinder your cause than help it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal app for XBOX One1