Cpu usage when idling
Hi,

I have an atv1 running crystalbuntu and notice that xbmc is using a constant ~40% cpu when just sitting on the home screen. I know the pentium m in the apple tv isn't particularly powerful, but I'm still suprised that cpu usage is so high given that ostensibly there is so little going one.

I was wondering if one of the developers could comment as to why this might be. Note I'm not complaining- more that I'm genuinely curious as to why it's spinning cpu cycles.

thanks,

Chris
~40% cpu at what clock percent ?
(2014-04-05, 18:56)davilla Wrote: ~40% cpu at what clock percent ?

hmm fair point, using:

Code:
sudo watch -n 1  cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

it looks like cpu frequency is alternating between 600MHz and 1GHZ. However at the former xbmc.bin is reported as using 55% of cpu and atvclient 4%. At the latter it's more like 38%.

I suppose from my, probably naive, point of view I'm just surprised that it's even using this when just displaying the home screen.
The home page is not a static picture, it's being drawn over and over. We call that being rendered as it is composed of many sink elements.
What skin are you using? My ATV1 + Crystalbuntu shows about 5% or less CPU usage for XBMC when on the home screen of Amber or Confluence (RSS feed off, no skin widgets/shelf items being refreshed, etc).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cpu usage when idling0