• 62(current)
Release reFocus 1.4.0 for Gotham (deprecated)
v1.4.0 looks great Jeroen. I've switched to horizontal menu and this looks nearly perfect.
You should consider adding some marker or indicator when user goes from top horizontal menu item to submenu item. So for example I'm currently on Movies and I press down key to go to submenu. Submenu now has white background but topmenu looses its selected background color. Personally I think that we don't know then what has been chosen (in topmenu). How about adding some color (50% transparent white) for top menu when submenu item is selected?
1.40 looks smooth in all aspects except for the capitalized letters in the vertical menu.
I preferred the old font but i´ll get used to these surely.

Great work Jeroen Smile
3 * Nvidia Shield + Synology NAS DS218+ LG 77CX6LA + Genelec + RasPi/rAudio + Adam T5V + T7V + T10S - ArcoLinux
(2014-07-26, 10:28)Mister B Wrote: It looks like the new home screen menu uses a different typeface than everywhere else? Maybe I'm used to seeing the 1.3 home screen, or maybe it's just the fact that the new home screen menu items are all upper-case. It seems a bit of a stylistic inconsistency, since titles at the top of movies/tv/music views etc. are in all lower-case and not-condensed, which makes the new home screen almost feel like another theme entirely.. meh, maybe it will grow on me, I feel like the all-uppercase-menu/all-lowercase-page-titles discrepancy just really jumps out at me now..

Hadn't really looked at it that way to be honest.

Horizontal menus really benefit from a condensed fontset, as there is no sane way to have auto sizing buttons in XBMC. So you have to find some sort of good middle ground when it comes to the combination of button size and font size / kerning, etc. It isn't even all that tricky using english, but in other languages words often use more characters. That way the available space becomes too limited fast.

Anyway, I ended up really liking the font in the horizontal menu. Along with the other little stylistic differences I wanted to have a consistent look between the two menus even though one obviously never uses both at once Smile So I brought that over to the vertical menu.

I have been thinking about changing the window headers around a bit, making it a bit more compact. Changing the font there, as opposed to changing the home menu font, might actually be a consideration.

(2014-07-26, 10:42)Unfledged Wrote: When there's more than 5 submenu items, the last one can be focused, but the menu doesn't scroll for it to actually appear on screen. Slight sizing issue?
Ah I see, only in the submenus right? Will fix, cheers!

Quote:One suggestion - how about an indicator that there are more items in the main and submenus on the horizontal layout. Something minimal and unobtrusive, like a small dot at either end if you can scroll further that way?
I have been working on that actually. But I had an idea in my head about how it's supposed to look but didn't find a way to behave like I want so I took it out. But I'll revisit that at some point again Smile
(2014-07-26, 15:12)Slurrrp Wrote: when listening to music the background on the home menu stays black and the now playing widget doesnt work correctly for me (music and video).
Yes, I totally forgot to undo / clean up some stuff. Should be fixed on Git, but I'll push a bugfix release soon.

(2014-07-26, 18:21)bryanbrazil Wrote: Noticed that when playing music the Artist Slideshow doesn't fill the screen, the fanart is positioned 200px from the top. Changed the multiimage top from 200 to 0 in MusicVisualization.xml and all is good again.
Related to above, should also be fixed on Git

(2014-07-26, 22:17)Mister B Wrote: • I like the widget indicators, but they're a different size and alignment than the toast notifications:
Yeah, the same thing has been bugging me too Smile The problem is moving the clock makes it look weird when you go into other windows as the clock / notification area (these two are tied) will "jump up" as the clock / notification area is then positioned differently in the window you're transitioning too. Changing the position of the clock / notification area in the other windows will make it look misaligned to the window headers on the left. Moving the indicators up made that look cramped.
So, I will probably look into this again if / when I decide to change fonts and / or sizing in the window headers. That seems to be key in solving this.

Quote:• I know mouse control is not officially supported, but it more-or-less works in places and there is a Pointer.png provided.
But Pointer.xml defines it as 32px x 32px, whereas Pointer.png is 22px x 21px, so the stretch makes it pretty blurry. I made a 32px x 32px replacement to drop into my copy:
Wow, that has been wrong for a long time Smile Your replacement looks better anyway, so I'll steal it if you don't mind Smile

Quote:• The line representing genre in the video info dialog has a different height than everything else in the list, which I've highlighted here:
Good eye, fixed for next release Smile

Quote:Anyhow! That's just my designer OCD getting in everyone's way. Hope I'm not stepping on your toes, Jeroen.
Not at all, I appreciate the feedback Smile

(2014-07-27, 03:36)fabiomello Wrote: 1. The new font (all capitalized) works well on the vertical layout, but it doesn't look as good as the previous one on the Horizontal one. (some items that used to fit, don't fit anymore)
I am assuming you mean this the other way around, as there was no horizontal menu before?

Quote:2. one thing that it really liked about refocus was the global widget. (the way that the widget is the same no matter the menu item you are in) could you add an option to have them back?
No, this isn't possible I'm afraid.

(2014-07-27, 10:06)Kolabor Wrote: You should consider adding some marker or indicator when user goes from top horizontal menu item to submenu item. So for example I'm currently on Movies and I press down key to go to submenu. Submenu now has white background but topmenu looses its selected background color. Personally I think that we don't know then what has been chosen (in topmenu). How about adding some color (50% transparent white) for top menu when submenu item is selected?

I was actually intending to do this by having some sort of arrow like character placed after the focused main menu item text. The font doesn't have a suitable symbol for it though, and I got frustrated by the free font editors on OSX Tongue
(2014-07-27, 10:44)Jeroen Wrote:
(2014-07-27, 10:06)Kolabor Wrote: You should consider adding some marker or indicator when user goes from top horizontal menu item to submenu item. So for example I'm currently on Movies and I press down key to go to submenu. Submenu now has white background but topmenu looses its selected background color. Personally I think that we don't know then what has been chosen (in topmenu). How about adding some color (50% transparent white) for top menu when submenu item is selected?

I was actually intending to do this by having some sort of arrow like character placed after the focused main menu item text. The font doesn't have a suitable symbol for it though, and I got frustrated by the free font editors on OSX Tongue
I can do it for You Smile Remember when I was fixing fonts in old reFocus? Wink
Bug: weather fanart changes every second.
reFocus - Simply the best
I confirm that bug.
(2014-07-27, 12:45)Kolabor Wrote: I can do it for You Smile Remember when I was fixing fonts in old reFocus? Wink
Yeah, we'll take a look after 1.4.0 final Smile
(2014-07-27, 12:55)Galefury Wrote: Bug: weather fanart changes every second.

Fix is on Github, included in next release
(2014-07-27, 14:03)Jeroen Wrote:
(2014-07-27, 12:45)Kolabor Wrote: I can do it for You Smile Remember when I was fixing fonts in old reFocus? Wink
Yeah, we'll take a look after 1.4.0 final Smile

OK, but if there is possibility to change background color in topmenu when submenu is focused – I'd do it this way. This is more intuitive IMO.
Not sure if it was reported already for 1.4.0, but:
– if you change view to Tiles or Gallery then strings are going back to English language. I can view them in Polish when I'm selecting them but right after selection (on previous menu) they will be in English.
(2014-07-26, 18:16)Galefury Wrote: After changing submenus, the widgets reset (to none). I use passive widgets.

I found time today to fix this whilst fixing a critical bug (that doesn't affect reFocus). The git version of skin shortcuts now includes the fix. Thanks for the bug report Smile
reFocus 1.4.0 preview release 2

An updated 1.4.0 preview release is available through the repo add-on

This is mainly a bugfix release. The most important fixes:
  • Scrolling past the fifth submenu item moved the selection cursor out of sight (applied to horizontal menu only)
  • Incorrect line height of "genre" in the movie / show information screen
  • Incorrectly sized pointer image / new pointer image
  • Incorrectly placed weather widget / now playing widget / music visualization fanart
  • Some slideshows were missing timers, resulting in constantly switching images
  • In some situations the window title disappeared when using the on screen keyboard (mostly when using search functions in add-ons)
(2014-07-26, 22:17)Mister B Wrote: • As for the new upper-case and condensed styling, I tried a little experiment, reverting the Condensed uppercase and Black uppercase styles back to Regular and SemiBold uppercase, respectively:

...which I feel really unifies the widget layout with everything else. Again, I realize this is going to be a personal preference and that some people will like the new condensed uppercase styling. I'm just a stickler for consistency, and so I'll probably reduce the set of typefaces for my local copy of the skin to just Light, Regular and SemiBold, used the same way throughout. It just feels more solid to have a consistent set of typeface styles. Especially in the above example, the descriptions of the Macross episode in the widget, and the description of the Macross Tv series in the video info dialog. It just feels right to have those be the same style...

+1 for this. really think it will help with the consistency. at the moment the home screen almost looks like a different skin to the rest of the skin.
Possibly changes will be made to fonts elsewhere, but the home menu font will not be changed.

This should be easily tweaked to your personal preference though.
  • 62(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
reFocus 1.4.0 for Gotham (deprecated)14