• 64(current)
Release reFocus 1.4.0 for Gotham (deprecated)
can leave home horizontal menu below ?
(2014-07-30, 10:03)joro_abv Wrote: Hi, Jeroen
I posted several times in the past about a horizontal menu and that it's a must. It has fans, it suites better the home ... as spoco2 said - it let's the content breathe. You ignored and deleted my posts, that's why I can't hold myself now - I told you so :-) :-) :-) !
Anyway ... now, one last step to perfection - make it look nice. I affirmed it many times, but again - it is not that I don't appreciate your work ... "au contraire" - reFocus is by a mile the best XBMC skin at the time being and I like it a lot. The thing is that both homes vertical and now horizontal somewhat do not fit the rest of the skin design at all (and also does not look nice, but I must admit this is more subjective). I hope you'll accept my criticism, as I it is intended to be a positive one.

I guess you are implying that I added a horizontal menu because of you or because of anything you said? I'm not even going to defend myself to that as I have publicly stated that I have been working on horizontal menus as far back as at least a year ago. Look it up.

It's because of the skin shortcuts add-on that I have actually gone through with it because it allows me to in a way create two "stylesheets" for one home menu instead of building two separate menus.

I deleted one of your posts as you were crossposting and it was off-topic (this thread is about the releases and development of my skin, not your concepts).

As far as your "positive criticism" goes, all I can say is anyone can do a mockup dude.

Now I would appreciate if you could keep the passive aggressive and misplaced smugness out of this thread please. There is no place for it here. You can call me arrogant or blame me for not being able to take criticism...I really don't care.
Jeroen, just want you to know that we are many that really appreciates your work that you're doing on your spare time for free. The horizontal menu was the final piece of the puzzle, at least for me. I don't know why people bother with posting that "this menu and that menu does not look nice"? Are they raised by wolves? I guess criticism is okay to a point, but it would certainly be better if it didn't come with a rude tone. Remember, most of us really appreciates what you do.

Looking forward to what's planned next for this skin if anything at all, i think it's reaally good just the way it is.

Sorry for my shitty english, i'm from Sweden, but i hope i've made myself comprehensible enough.

And hey, Jeroen.. Have a good day!
(2014-07-30, 10:50)Jeroen Wrote:
(2014-07-30, 10:03)joro_abv Wrote: Hi, Jeroen
I posted several times in the past about a horizontal menu and that it's a must. It has fans, it suites better the home ... as spoco2 said - it let's the content breathe. You ignored and deleted my posts, that's why I can't hold myself now - I told you so :-) :-) :-) !
Anyway ... now, one last step to perfection - make it look nice. I affirmed it many times, but again - it is not that I don't appreciate your work ... "au contraire" - reFocus is by a mile the best XBMC skin at the time being and I like it a lot. The thing is that both homes vertical and now horizontal somewhat do not fit the rest of the skin design at all (and also does not look nice, but I must admit this is more subjective). I hope you'll accept my criticism, as I it is intended to be a positive one.

I guess you are implying that I added a horizontal menu because of you or because of anything you said? I'm not even going to defend myself to that as I have publicly stated that I have been working on horizontal menus as far back as at least a year ago. Look it up.

It's because of the skin shortcuts add-on that I have actually gone through with it because it allows me to in a way create two "stylesheets" for one home menu instead of building two separate menus.

I deleted one of your posts as you were crossposting and it was off-topic (this thread is about the releases and development of my skin, not your concepts).

As far as your "positive criticism" goes, all I can say is anyone can do a mockup dude.

Now I would appreciate if you could keep the passive aggressive and misplaced smugness out of this thread please. There is no place for it here. You can call me arrogant or blame me for not being able to take criticism...I really don't care.

I've been checking for questions about horizontal menu, back from the early Frodo days and you've always replied "no plans for now". I missed the moment when you decided to go for it and well ... this is bad luck, my fault ... whatever - I apologize for being annoying. Still though - a word from you like "I'm on it" would be more than enough. Same goes for the off topic mockups - a simple reply would be welcome, but again - sorry for that.
I definitely wasn't implying anything of the kind that you did it because of me or whatever. It was just a kind of funny side note since I've been waiting for the horizontal for a really long time. Each and every post I made ever in this thread is because I love the skin and I wanted to be helpful to improve it. Since this is not necessary, I'd then be quiet and just continue using reFocus or go for making a mod myself , if I have the time. Still - in reply also to pettson3816 - since I'm "not raised by wolves" and aware that the "nice" factor is pretty personal, my point to you was that the menus does not fit the rest of the skin. That is an easily noticeable fact. This is the last you'd hear from me except bug reports, if I have any. Thanks for your time.
Thank you so much for the configurable player controls in the options menu!!

Mr Smee is happy.

PS: The widget stuff is awesome!
(2014-07-25, 15:36)Jeroen Wrote: Maybe it's because of some changes I have made recently, but I just tried this myself using this image and there are no color differences or weird effects for me.

There is a subtle color diference (hardly noticeable), but the main problem is when switching in/out of the Main Menu. There's a fadein of the left sidebar, that happens at a different speed from the backgroun, so the difference is obvious and noticeable by 3rd parties even.
Anyone else noticed that when a playlist is empty, the widget shows a black screen, which is not very nice. Jeroen, could you disable the widget if it's disabled?
Hi Jeroen i modded some pages from this 1.3 skin like i ll like to add the horizontal menu do i need to replace the full theme or can i just add some xml sections?

thx
Hi Jeroen,

Why is there no widget to choose for the movies (speelfilms) menu that displays all the movies in the librairy?
Same could be said for the music menu.

Also a slideshow widget for the pictures menu would be great.

Can it be done?

Greetings,

Mr Smee.
(2014-07-30, 10:21)gogu Wrote: can leave home horizontal menu below ?

Then it would cover the area that is used by widgets when the skin setting "always show widgets" is enabled.

(2014-07-31, 15:36)MrSmee Wrote: Thank you so much for the configurable player controls in the options menu!!
You're welcome!

(2014-07-31, 16:21)dogzipp Wrote: There is a subtle color diference (hardly noticeable), but the main problem is when switching in/out of the Main Menu. There's a fadein of the left sidebar, that happens at a different speed from the backgroun, so the difference is obvious and noticeable by 3rd parties even.
Ok, I'll take a look at this again after 1.4.0 final. Need to check whether this would require a separate function or if it can be solved by tweaking the animations.

(2014-07-31, 17:56)Namekkural Wrote: Anyone else noticed that when a playlist is empty, the widget shows a black screen, which is not very nice. Jeroen, could you disable the widget if it's disabled?

I think this could be caused by (a combination of) this and this

Please check if updating to the AS beta solves the black screen for you. I still need to look into that second issue.

(2014-07-31, 19:00)dynamic2 Wrote: Hi Jeroen i modded some pages from this 1.3 skin like i ll like to add the horizontal menu do i need to replace the full theme or can i just add some xml sections?
1.4.0 contains some fundamental changes to the internals. All variables use a different naming scheme for example. I think bringing over your changes from 1.3.3. to 1.4.0 is the easier thing to do. But even then problems are to be expected. I don't know the extent of your changes or what you changed so it's hard for me to tell.

(2014-07-31, 20:36)MrSmee Wrote: Why is there no widget to choose for the movies (speelfilms) menu that displays all the movies in the librairy?
Same could be said for the music menu.
Well, to be honest I don't think it's particularly useful. Widgets are meant to provide a quick glance on a collection of items that "need" your attention / conform to a certain set of characteristics. Items that haven't been watched, were recently added, etc.

If you just want to browse your library, then just open your library Smile The home screen / widgets are not meant to be a replacement for your library sections, but as a filter for them.

That said though, you can easily add this yourself by selecting a smart playlist as a widget source. Just create a smart playlist that you're sure will contain all items and select it as a widget.

Quote:Also a slideshow widget for the pictures menu would be great.

Can it be done?

The pictures library is pre-historic compared to the music and especially the video libraries. There is no real structure to it, no database, just flat folder listings really. So there's no infolabels for recently added pictures or things like that.

As there is no uniform structure I can't set any default path in the widget either. Because my pictures folder could be named "pictures" while your's could be called "photos", etc.

So, this would need a widget where the user selects a path after selecting the widget. Which is doable, but only worth it imo when the skinning engine gets the ability to apply a sorting filter to the content listing. Because otherwise all it would be is the same flat listing of one pictures folder sorted alphabetically every time you activate it.

I think such features are planned, but they will be for Helix or up so hopefully this opens up new possibilities when I work on that.
(2014-07-30, 05:47)bryanbrazil Wrote: Noticed one very minor thing tonight...it appears that the background of the sidebar for Weather is slightly darker than the sidebar menu for the other screens.

Also found that the page title is partially visible on the artist/album info pages...

Thanks, both should be fixed on Git.
21:9 aspect ratio support would be a great addition to this skin to implement, apparently it isn't that hard to do, but I have no skinning knowledge to do it. Would make a mod for it, or can it be added officially?
Oops, thought I was in the other thread, lol.
Hi, homescreen widgets don't work for me, any solution ?

Solved with reinstall
(2014-07-27, 12:55)Galefury Wrote: Bug: weather fanart changes every second.

I have this bug in 1.4.0 pr2
  • 64(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
reFocus 1.4.0 for Gotham (deprecated)14