XBMC and USB WebCam Feed viewing?
Hi there.
Using Raspberry Pi 512 with OpenElec 3.2.4 (soon 4.0).
I was wondering is it possible to watch USB-WebCam video feed directly with XBMC via e.g. PlugIn or do I have to run "mjpeg-streamer" beneath and then use MJPEG viewing possibility (strm perhaps) to watch it?

The Idea is to build a Media solution out from Rasberry PI for my Car so that I can also connect "review camera" to it and use it from XBMC. TouchScreen is mandatory and Skin to support BIG icons. Smile I would also like to have A Big icon on the main screen to launch the "review camera" and in there on top of the video a X sign to close it.
Maybe you mean "rear view" rather than review?
Or do you want to record the video for later viewing (review)?
Bo Berglund
Sweden
Your contribution for the issue at hand is somewhat lame. Stick to the topic disclosed. I can stick the USB camera wherever I want.
I said watch the USB-Cam feed and in Car environment is most probably means video from behind the car helping the parking prosedure.
Not sure why you need XBMC at all. But if you are, I think you need some other software to stream from your webcam and then use a strm file to access it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2014-04-07, 08:04)nickr Wrote: Not sure why you need XBMC at all. But if you are, I think you need some other software to stream from your webcam and then use a strm file to access it.

Well.. If you read the post, You can see that "also webCam" is the case. The point is to really use XBMC as a base for all media needs I have, including E2 plugin to stream TV, aswell NFS shares media content from my NAS. OpenELEC has VPN buildIn so connecting to my LAN via USB-4G is easy. USB-Cam is the bonus to have in a car media solution. XBMC can consume the mjpeg-streamer server running at the same PI, but the question was that is it possible to use the USB-port WebCam directly in XBMC?
You are quite rude aren't you.

I will make my post clearer.

No, not as far as I am aware.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes, rudeness never usually get you very far, people tend to go away. I am leaving this thread now.
Bo Berglund
Sweden
This Forum is targetted to talk about technical issues that people write about. When replies are solely concerning about typos in the text despite the idea is clearly written down I tend to spike back. We don't have the time to commet litteral issues, but the problem at hand. If people want to talk a about love and emotions, try some other forum.
If your camera is available as stream, you can add this stream to streaming plugin, for example iptv plugin
(2014-04-07, 11:38)realjobe Wrote: This Forum is targetted to talk about technical issues that people write about. When replies are solely concerning about typos in the text despite the idea is clearly written down I tend to spike back. We don't have the time to commet litteral issues, but the problem at hand. If people want to talk a about love and emotions, try some other forum.

Yes but no one criticised your typing. They asked whether you wanted to view a rear view camera, which implies some throwaway live stream, or a review camera, which implies recording and reviewing. So lighten up or get reported.
The post said clearly what I asked: "watch USB-WebCam video feed directly".. People just don't read what's in front of them and the ask stupid questions about it. just drop this, doesn't contribute to anything.
In openelec is more dificult, because you can't install many things.
Did you already saw "motion" app?
Something like this:
http://techspect.co.uk/2013/how-to-raspb...er-stream/

Then I think you have addons to xbmc to access the stream.

Direct usb to picture, I don't think that exist.
Hi. True, Direct USB readout might be out of the picture.
"Motion" is far too heavy for my needs, hence I'm using "mjpeg-streamer" for PI. It produces mjpeg stream on desired port.
I just might test installing this to a OpenElec 4.x (soon to come) XBMC and try to make them run simultaioisly. Then it would be easy just to read http://127.0.0.1/motion/video.mjpeg stream with XBMC...
The Thing would be to write a PlugIn with python that just shows the stream. This plugin then should be placed on the MainScreen window of XBMC, next to video/pictures/...

Needs a lot hacking for the Skin I quess...
I don't think you need a plugin, have you tried a strm file?
True, m3u / strm file will do just fine, but the point is outlook.

I will like to have a nice icon on homeWindow that launches the video pull locally. strm files or Favourites in this case do not have icons and anything that can be shown.. Also there should be X-close icon topRight.. Plugins can do these things...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC and USB WebCam Feed viewing?1