Linux box access?
Hi,

I've just been given a small Linux box which is running XBMC. It's all preloaded and boots directly into XBMC. What I like to do is get access into the linux side of things and have a poke around as I'vve never really used it before. Only problem is, XBMC has been setup so when you shut it down, it powers off the whole box. Is there a work around so I can stop it booting into linux or to shutdown XBMC but still keep the box powered on?
Linux will be running while XBMC is up - it's the underlying OS, remember. So the easiest way would be to ssh into the box from another device (e.g. a laptop) and have a look around. Either that or play with <alt>+F1 -type key combinations, see if you can bring up a terminal... you may need to do that to enable ssh in the first place.

Whether this box has a window manager will determine whether you can reboot it into a Linux desktop of some description. If you can give some more information about the box then maybe folks can advise further.

What does the splash screen on boot look like, any clues there? It may be that you're running OpenElec or XBMCbuntu.

And when XBMC is running, what does Settings -> System Info say, specifically Summary -> Operating System?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux box access?0