PAL 50HZ persistant issues
Here we are, nearing the final version of Gotham; but yet issues from frodo are still not fixed. I have posted about this before, and time and time again; I am ignored. I've even posted logs, and nothing.

XBMC has issues outputting video at 50HZ. SD or HD both the same. Video will start to judder. I bring up the OSD, close the OSD and it fixes it for a bit.

Using beta 3, this issue has not gone away. Even getting a new PC, this issue is still there. 60HZ seems to play fine without these issues.

Is this ever going to get looked into?

Now for a temp fix; could someone tell me what advanced setting string I need to use to output all 50HZ/25fps video at 60HZ/30FPS? that would at least be helpful.

And to anyone else in the community that could help me out, that would be most appreciated. Because so far, I've had zero help from any devs about this.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
The advancedsettings.xml tag you're looking at is <adjustrefreshrate> in the video section. The comments are quite descriptive and examples are given.
HP Stream Mini w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Toshiba 37"
Intel NUC8i3BEH w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> LG OLED55C3PUA -> S/PDIF -> Sony HT-CT80
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro w/Libreelec -> HDMI -> Yamaha RX-V467 -> HDMI -> Toshiba 47L7200U
My library consists of around 40% PAL video - I've never found an issue with XBMC displaying video at 50Hz and I've used Dharma, Eden, Frodo and now Gotham. Also been through three different televisions.

I suggest the issue is your HTPC or TV.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
Piers - have to agree. Its the one area that I don't have an issue with - 24fps, now that's a whole different issue.

Death-Axe, got to think its something peculiar with your set-up, otherwise the forums would be awash with complaints about this. Still as you provided logs etc it would at least have been courteous if someone with knowledge had at least had a look and made comment, even if just to confirm that they couldn't see anything wrong.

Unless it is widespread or the Devs can reproduce it, then really there is nothing to fix.

Why not set desktop refresh rate to 60Hz and switch off adjust refresh rate. This will play everything back at 60Hz.
I have been having the same problem with 50Hz PAL content. Get about 5 to 10 min in and its starts to drop frames by the looks of it. Skip back 30sec then forward 30 sec and all is right again for a while.

Its a subtle effect so most people probably wouldn't even notice it or just think its in the film recording like that. But its definitely XBMC causing the dodgy frame rate. Skipping back and watching the same scene again shows smooth playback second time round so its not the film.Or the TV. Or anything else in the system. Its the software that's doing the video playback in XBMC. Its a little bit random when it shows up also so is hard pin point until it happens while your watching a show.

I have no other problems with 24Hz or any other refresh rates. Just 50Hz PAL.

Using 12.3 Frodo.
Well well well, not just me then, steelman. Tim, can I ask you what TV you have? mine is an LG smart TV 42".

It is not the PC, two PCs of completely different HW (one an ion and an amd A10) and it can't be the TV, because if I use the TVs own player; the 50HZ content will play fine.

After my initial post, I looked myself and found what I needed. This (like the 24p sound synch) is a temp solution as this really needs sorting out in XBMC. This will output your 50HZ stuff at 60HZ, and will fix the judder (which did get REALLY bad without going in and out of the osd/sipping back forward).

In advanced settings add this:

<video>
<adjustrefreshrate>
<override>
<fps>25</fps>
<refresh>60.0</refresh>
</override>
</adjustrefreshrate>
</video>

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this some day.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
Considering, I think, 50% of the developers are from within the EU and therefore use PAL, I'm sure they would have picked up on any issue with it. It really sounds like a set up issue.

Well well Death-Axe that's 2 - certainly a major issue which needs immediate attention. As I said unless the devs can reproduce then there is nothing to fix.

Might want to keep smart ass comments to a minimum in case you really need help some day. I was only reiterating what Piers had said, yet you choose to make a sarcastic comment on my post.

Its hardly of epidemic proportions - up till 7 hours ago it was only you. Good luck with the fix
I have a Sony 46" HX800 and a JVC HD550 projector. Also a Lumagen Radiance XD 3D video processor. Mt HTPC has a Intell core i5. Video is out of a Nvidia GTX 560 Ti over HDMI.

It did it before the Lumagen also so thats not an issue. I see it with watching TV shows riped from DVDs mostly. Not so much movies for some strange reason.

I will have to give your advanced settings patch a try. Thanks.

Oh and just to add i also have DXVA2 disabled because it would cause problems with 24Hz Bluray rips where the picture would slow down to like 3fps. And some downloads would just show a garbled black screen. So it stays off.
We play ~2 hours of Pal 50Hz a night with no issues at all (not even subtle ones!)

Windows AMD A6 APU

Also no issues on nvidia ion2 OE box.

Using both Frodo and Gotham...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Hmm. Well that's a puzzle then. I wonder why it works for most but not some ? What format are your files in ? Where they DVD rips ? How do you have your playback settings in XBMC setup ? Do you have de-interlacing turned on ? And if so what settings ?

I am just wondering if i might have XBMC setup in such a way that is causing the judder ?

This is with SD material just to clarify.
Can you upload a 10 minute sample of one of these files that cause you a problem? Don't re-encode the file - or upload the whole thing if needed (technically sort of/maybe/not really fair use but meh, I'll delete it when done).

Other than that I can't think of the problem. I've played PAL content without issues for years. Different boxes, TV and AVR set ups and XBMC versions. Ranging from ARM, Atom, AMD Turion to Intel i7.

(2014-04-08, 03:40)timoxx4 Wrote: Oh and just to add i also have DXVA2 disabled because it would cause problems with 24Hz Bluray rips where the picture would slow down to like 3fps. And some downloads would just show a garbled black screen. So it stays off.

That's most certainly not normal behaviour and you should open a new thread. Unless the Blu-Ray rips are badly encoded there's no reason why you should need to disable DXVA.

Most of what we play are either TV recordings (so mpeg2 I guess?) or otherwise mkv/avi rips of same with commercials removed. Just your typical downloads.

I use DXVA, have sync to display off (as my APU outputs a pretty steady fps and my TV has all the appropriate modes). Therefore no resample audio etc, using wasapi to output to my AVR

Interlacing is set to auto IIRC - the live TV stuff gets deinterlaced, the rips would be re-encoded to progressive I guess. Never really though about this side of it much, been relatively trouble free the PAL 50hz stuff
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Ok just enabled DXVA2 again to try and i think it has pretty much fixed things. There was some tearing so had to also enable Vertical blank sync or whatever its called. 24Hz bluray rips are also working with it enabled this time, i dont know why they didnt last time i tried it.

So i would say its 98% better. There was one instance of judder that only lasted for about 20 seconds then went away by itself. I couldn't replicate it again so not sure what it was.

Is there a FAQ or guide somewhere about the video settings and what they should be set too for best performance and compatibility for all types of video around here somewhere ? If there is a magic combination of all the settings in XBMC that is working for others it would be nice to have it listed somewhere so the rest of us can see how to have things setup properly ?
Hmm. Its doing it again.Sad Just been watching some more of my HTPC and found the judder again even with DXVA on. I have no idea what is going on.

I will see about uploading a sample vid tomorrow for you to try Piers if you like.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PAL 50HZ persistant issues0