PAL 50HZ persistant issues
You're welcome to send over a sample and I'll try and play it on my set up to see if I can see the error as well. Other than that it seems like a hardware issue - can't really think of anything else.

I've just finished watched my Farscape DVD encodes (80+ episodes) which are all PAL and not one dropped frame or moment of judder.
Please read the online manual (wiki) & FAQ (wiki) before posting.

Skins: Estuary | Xperience1080
Opinion: Never purchase HTC products
(2014-04-09, 18:48)Piers Wrote: I've just finished watched my Farscape DVD encodes (80+ episodes) ...

off topic

Great show! Big Grin

It's too bad this show will never get proper HD treatment because of source material issues. I'll still probably upgrade my SD versions to Blurays next time a good sale for the 15th anniversary set drops.

resume on topic content
Quick Links: debug log (wiki) | userdata (wiki) | advancedsettings (wiki) | adding videos to the library (wiki)
(2014-04-09, 18:59)thrak76 Wrote:
(2014-04-09, 18:48)Piers Wrote: I've just finished watched my Farscape DVD encodes (80+ episodes) ...

off topic

Great show! Big Grin

It's too bad this show will never get proper HD treatment because of source material issues. I'll still probably upgrade my SD versions to Blurays next time a good sale for the 15th anniversary set drops.

resume on topic content

*Brief continuation of off-topic*

A great show and Peacekeeper Wars was a suitable ending. I have those on Blu-Ray and at least they were shot in HD. I really wouldn't bother with the Blu-Ray for S1-4, the PAL master tapes are just that, the quality is good on the BR versions but it's not worth the money when coming it to the DVD verison.... maybe S4 is the exception due to aspect ratio.

Ok here is a small sample mkv. You might have to switch back and forth with DXVA on and off stopping playback between the two to get it to trigger the judder. As its a bit random when it shows up. But i was able to force it by stopping playback and flicking between DXVA off and playing the file again. The stop it and turn DXVA back on and play again. Do that a few times and it will be sure to pop up. Its most noticeable with camera panning shots. Just looks not as smooth as it could be. Skip back 30 sec or bring up the OSD and it goes back to super smooth playback.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wvrf6u...S06E16.mkv
@timoxx4 - your viewing choices aside lol - I've just played the clip back and see nothing of what you describe, watching from start to finish, even after attempting the stop/start, switching DXVA on and off etc

Perhaps its time to provide a debug log while playing a file - see here http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log_file and perhaps one of the devs may have a look, though drawing on death-axe's experiences, that's not a given.

Just a throw away line - but, does your TV support 50hz playback?
Yeah TV dose 50Hz natively. It dose all the popular refresh rates.

That's strange then as i could get it to judder 50% of the time. Maybe its my GPU ? Its a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti gaming card. Latest drivers. But i don't do much gaming on it anymore as i use the PS3 mostly so i am wondering if i should pull the card out and just use the one on the core i5 processor instead ? Its a bit odd as it should work. Well it dose work. Just not up to my fussy standards.
Do a full debug log, let's have a look what's going on.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Ok here it is. I think i did it right not sure. Its my first one. Towards the end of the debug i got the judder to show up.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=170694
I've not noticed any issue with 50Hz playback on my system.

Some advice for anyone with issues.

While the forum should always be 1st port of call just to make sure any issue of is not misconfiguration or something else that can be fixed with the help of the community, if you don't get anywhere and no devs have pitched in, then you should raise a trac ticket by following the bugtracker link at the top of the forum.

The devs are very busy people particularly now we're in bug fixing phase for getting Gotham done, so it'll be trac tickets getting priority at the moment, and I see no mention of a formal bug report having been made.

Words of warning however, please try and make sure it's a genuine bug as far as you can first, as if the bug tracker gets snowed under with lots of issues which aren't bugs, then the genuine stuff is more easily missed and won't get the attention it should. Also do not raise a trac ticket without including a full set of information, for a playback issue such as this I mean:

1. A detailed description of the type of video being played, the MediaInfo output for a problematic file for example.
2. A detailed description of how the problems shows themselves, and if repeatable by following then same steps each time then include this.
3. A debug log taken while the problem is occurring.
4. Screenshots of video playback and video acceleration settings.
4. A sample file to help with replication, if the problem always occurs at the same runtime point include this in the report.
5. Include link to forum discussion.

Anything not including all of this will likely just sit in the bug tracker and will be given lower priority than tickets where the information is available. Normally about 80% of the work in getting something fixed is for the dev to be able to replicate, anything you can do to make this easier will progress the issue quicker.
(2014-04-10, 14:25)jjd-uk Wrote: I've not noticed any issue with 50Hz playback on my system.

Some advice for anyone with issues.

While the forum should always be 1st port of call just to make sure any issue of is not misconfiguration or something else that can be fixed with the help of the community, if you don't get anywhere and no devs have pitched in, then you should raise a trac ticket by following the bugtracker link at the top of the forum.

The devs are very busy people particularly now we're in bug fixing phase for getting Gotham done, so it'll be trac tickets getting priority at the moment, and I see no mention of a formal bug report having been made.

Words of warning however, please try and make sure it's a genuine bug as far as you can first, as if the bug tracker gets snowed under with lots of issues which aren't bugs, then the genuine stuff is more easily missed and won't get the attention it should. Also do not raise a trac ticket without including a full set of information, for a playback issue such as this I mean:

1. A detailed description of the type of video being played, the MediaInfo output for a problematic file for example.
2. A detailed description of how the problems shows themselves, and if repeatable by following then same steps each time then include this.
3. A debug log taken while the problem is occurring.
4. Screenshots of video playback and video acceleration settings.
4. A sample file to help with replication, if the problem always occurs at the same runtime point include this in the report.
5. Include link to forum discussion.

Anything not including all of this will likely just sit in the bug tracker and will be given lower priority than tickets where the information is available. Normally about 80% of the work in getting something fixed is for the dev to be able to replicate, anything you can do to make this easier will progress the issue quicker.

Could this post be made into a new thread, closed and then stuck at the top?

Just an update. Tonight i tried unplugging my HDMI cable out of the Nvidia 660 Ti and instead connected it to the motherboards HDMI out so is using the CPU for everything. And so far it has worked with out any judder showing up. I did have to disable DXVA2 or else it would show green screens and blocking when skipping and so forth. I still get HD audio bitstreaming to my AVR though which is good. Its a gen 3 Intel 2500 series CPU so wasn't sure if it would work.

So looks like it might be pointing to a GPU issue at this stage. I have tried different Nvidia drivers but they are all the same with no difference. I wonder if the OP was also using a gaming GPU ? I guess because most of you here wouldn't be using anything like a gaming GPU for XBMC duty so that's probably why you don't see the problem at all ?

I shall keep testing things as they are and see how it goes but so far looks ok. Bit of a shame i cant use my GPU with XBMC though. Sad

Only one problem is my GUI sounds stop working after playing a video. Work fine at the start when selecting the video. But stop working after hitting stop and going back into the GUI ?
My first system was an asrock 330 which is an ion, current is an AMD A10 which is an APU. Had that issue with both. Forcing 25fps vids to 60hz has "fixed" the issue though.
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.
Yeah ok. I did try forcing 50Hz 25fps vids to 60Hz like you have but then i found what looks like 3:2 pulldown judder instead. Playing the video at its native 50Hz 25fps is a lot smoother when its working correctly.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PAL 50HZ persistant issues0