mxl-metropolis mod
i am in the early stages of this mod.

the goals i had for the mod:
•maintain as much of the metropolis look and feel as possible.
•simplified layout-consistent from screen to screen
•larger fan art
•easier to read on smaller screens, sdtv and for old eyes
•home screen navigation to my taste

if there is any interest i will post other screen mods soon.

i am open to ideas and criticism.

homescreen

homescreen submenu

poster fanart view

submenu widgets

image ru
I like the main menu, but it's jingas show, hopefully he'll use my consolidated home code, if he does, then he might be more amenable to having a 3rd or 4th view option.
He was hating the fact that any changes would require him to make changes everywhere twice, the consolidated code solves that for him, but like all of us, real-life comes first.

I really like the overall theme and colors too. I'd like to see this style of home screen as an option in the future, but I'll definitely add it to my personal one.
(FYI, I have no say whatsoever in anything, I just help out with this or that here and there when I can)
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
thanks for the reply.
i will most likely do as you have done and make it a personal mod.
if others like it i will make it available. assuming i can actually do this.
i would not dream of imposing on anyone else, unless it is for guidance and advice. so jingas is safe. Smile

fyi: i have really moved things around and resized a lot so it is more than just a simple change of theme as i understand that to be. does that make it a mod or something else?

thanks
looks awesome i definitely want to check it out when available
thank you.
not sure how long this will take. i will post more as i progress.
cool i will keep checking back Smile for now will just stick with regular metropolis Smile
thanks for the interest.
learning skinning is slow and i am remodeling an old house learning that too.

one thing i have been looking at is aeon nox 5. i am trying to figure out if i should mod nox or metropolis. nox has features that may be a better starting point for me. not sure.
Looks great! Good work. Would love to try some metropolis mods
If it had a vertical menu I would be in on it...
thanks for the feed back.
my idea here is for it to be a best of all worlds design and consistent throughout all views.
so it is an almost vertical or is it an almost horizontal design. Smile
i am trying to make the most of the screen space while keeping it easy to read and navigate.

i have not worked on it for a week or so. hope to get back to it at the start of june.

thanks again
I like the frame very much, but i think the dots in the clock are superficial.

I'll definitly try this mod when it is ready for a release Smile
so any chance to have this mod?:-)
I'm not sure if he ever finished it (or started it for that matter). His mockups would have required a great deal of code changes for everything to work together in all screens correctly.
It looks like he was maybe going to mod Aeon Nox to look like Metropolis in the end as a newer post about this design is in the Nox area.

It takes a long time to graft personal changes onto a skin, and given how many changes his would have required, he would have needed a lot of time.
The issue is with new Kodi/skin releases, and how elements of code move around a skin from release to release making each skin "update" require more or less a complete rewrite of your mods. In the end most large mods are probably only good for the current release unless the original skin author doesn't make too many changes while making the required internal updates to support newer versions of Kodi. (or unless the mod author rewrites it all over again to fit with the changes)
The update in Metropolis from the old menu system to the newer literally changed thousands of line of code across many files. He would have needed to throw out all the code he had written in those files and start over when that happened. It can strip away your motivation pretty quickly.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
just looked in to see what was up with Metropolis lately.
i was surprised to see the interest in my mod ideas, thank you.

MacGyver is 100% right. I can only add that the main reason I have not continued with this or any mod is more to do with the upkeep than the initial coding.

As MacGyver said I have been using Aeon Nox silvo as my base and making modest visual changes.
Aeon nox silvo is very well maintained offers the functions I most want.

for anyone thinking of learning to code by mod-ing a skin, like I am.
I have found it easier to start with a skin that already has the functions you want then make the visual changes as needed.

Maybe one day I will get my perfect union of metropolis and aeon nox that I see in my kodi dreams.
mxlance, would you mind providing the source images for the frames? I really like their look and would love to incorporate them into Metropolis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
mxl-metropolis mod0