• 8(current)
First HTPC
(2014-05-02, 23:53)Solidify Wrote: Yes, the PSU is silent. I know for a fact the noise is not the PSU.

It's not the HSF because when I changed the settings in BIOS I managed to get the CPU Fan dead silent but because that required it to be doing approximately 600 RPM, the CPU was heating up very quickly.

Then it would be the HSF. I believe that that fan ranges from 8db-30db so at 600 RPM it would be inaudible. Of course those noise levels are usually tested with no obstructions to create turbulence.

When I replaced my CPU Heatsink I picked up a two Arctic F8 PWM 80mm fans for it and they are nearly dead silent at full speed.

A couple review sites had some tricks to silence up that fan up a little at max speed. I read something about them vibrating a little because of the mounting system. A couple others just replaced it entirely.

This review had some good comparisons of stock fan vs aftermarket in terms of sound and cooling http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1278-page5.html

Something to consider before you Chuck the whole thing or run your processor hotter than you need to.
Data helps as you're just saying "It got hot".

What are the temps?

Ambient?
CPU at Idle?
CPU at load?
Quote:at 600 RPM it would be inaudible.

At 600 RPM, it is inaudible. The problem is that at that many revolutions, it heats up more than I'm comfortable with it heating up.

Quote:When I replaced my CPU Heatsink I picked up a two Arctic F8 PWM 80mm fans for it and they are nearly dead silent at full speed.

The SilentX fans I have installed are dead silent, even at full speed.

Great link, I'll read through it soon. Thanks.

Quote:What are the temps?

Ambient?
CPU at Idle?
CPU at load?

How am I supposed to monitor temps with XBMC running (i.e.: 1080 film playing) while fullscreen?
I only trust BIOS now, since most 3rd party hardware monitoring softwares alarm me by providing inaccurate component temperatures.
There are certainly third party temperature reporting programs that are accurate. They just read way the bios outputs.

But if you only trust BIOS I'm unsure how you would know that your CPU is "hot" without an actual measurement.
I dont understand what you're implying by your second sentence.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC0