• 4(current)
First HTPC
I suggested the case fans because I know those move a decent amount of air and unless you are a foot away you don't hear them (extremely quiet, only 15db at full speed) and because of your budget. If you hear any noise it won't be from the case fans, they are even quieter than the BIG Shuriken in all but the lowest speeds. I think of you placed one in the opening closest to the processor, there should be more than enough moving air between it and the CPU fan to keep the temps down. The Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 is a great cooler but I didn't recommend it just because of your budget.
All the components are arriving today. I'll build it and get back to you. Thanks.
I'm having a problem turning on the motherboard for a test boot. I tried shorting the two pins but it doesn't start the board. It turns the CPU fan for a split second then gives up, almost as if there's not enough power. I tried connecting the Power Switch to an old case and using the case power switch to turn on the board but it's the same result. I tried booting with and without the RAM. Same results.

Do I have a bad board?
You have to install your RAM. It won't post without RAM
Damn, did some troubleshooting and my PSU is DOA. Just got it today, what a bummer. Won't even turn on by shorting the pins.

(2014-04-11, 21:31)LazerBlue Wrote: You have to install your RAM. It won't post without RAM

Quote:I tried booting with and without the RAM.
I'm not sure how did you connected it. For me, I usually installed CPU, CPU cooler+CPU cooler power, 24 pins and 8 pins, 1 memory stick, connect mobo to HDTV using HDMI cable and touch the two pins. Sometime, it take several trials for it to post because I have a shaky right hand from lifting too much weight at the gym....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I did all that. The MB light was on when the PSU was connected but the CPU fan didnt spin up. So I tried ahorting the mb pins and that didnt work which led me to assume it could be the psu. So then i tested the psu by shorting the green and black pins and the psu didnt turn on at all. I already sent it back to newegg. Theyre covered return shipping so that was nice.
I would of asked if you had another psu you could test it with just to make sure that it was just the psu that was doa
I thought abt that but i dont have another psu and didnt wanna dissemble the one in my current desktop. Besides, i tested the psu by trying to short the pins and it didnt turn on so im fairly certain it was the psu that was bad. And i know i shorted the pins correctly bc ive shorted other psu's in the past that have turned on.

As a side note, i started assembling the htpc without the psu... Jesus!! What a job and a half to fit everything in there! This is way harder than building a desktop pc case. I managed to get 2 x 3.5" drives and one ssd (2.5") in there. I just hope the psu and case fans wont be a problem when they arrive. And i should have gone with an mini ATX mb because this is crazy tight, but i think ill manage. And also, now that i think abt it, all these sata ports are pointless since the case cant fit 7 drives (unless it was suggested for when i upgrade case.. )
These are the temps on my HTPC after being on for only an hour. If it were just the CPU, I'd get an aftermarket HSF, but I see that the drives and motherboard are heating up as well. It's like a snake pit down there with all the wires.

I'm not sure if I should just remove the two 3.5" drives and make a separate server/NAS build to alleviate some of the room in the HTPC... but that would cost me another build Sad

What do you guys think?

Does it make sense that the CPU is getting that hot? I just put the HTPc together an hour ago. I didn't use my own arctic thermal paste because the stock HSF already had some pre-applied. Could that be it? I really doubt it tbh...

Edit: CPU went as high as 83C in the red.
The temps on your drives are not that high. The one I use for PVR recording fetus into the 40s when I'm recording a few shows.
Couple questions:
1: Are those temps at idle?
2: Also what is the ambient air temp near the case? Not at the thermostat but the air near the tv. I noticed the heater is right behind it. Is it on? It will be much warmer there because that is the source of the heat.
3:Where in the case do you place the fans and are the blowing in?

Also I never use stock thermal paste. Give it a try with your own.

EDIT: Also wire management is your friend. It is a pain to dress all the wires in but it will make a huge difference.
Quote:The temps on your drives are not that high. The one I use for PVR recording fetus into the 40s when I'm recording a few shows

That may work for you, but for me, those are undesirable temps. Running with hot mechanical drives is a perfect way to lead them to failure, especially since I'm using non-WD Green drives (I'm using normal desktop drives that I ripped out of Seagate 3TB external enclosure).

In any case, by the time I saw your post I had already took both 3.5" drives out of the HTPC and put them back into my desktop where they're now sitting snugly at 29C. That\s what I like to see. The free space I gained in the HTPC allowed me to manage my cables very nicely (especially since I'm not using an optical drive). These are the resulting temperatures on the HTPC:

I'm going to try another HW monitoring software to make sure Speccy is giving accurate readings because earlier when I said it read 82C, I went into the BIOS and it showed the CPU at 32C.

To answer your questions:
  • I have no way to measure the ambient temperature in my room but the thermostat is set to 23C, so that should be the room temperature.
  • I have never had an issue with the electric baseboard heater behind my TV stand, even when I used to play Xbox 360. The reason for this is because heat rises, so it does not affect my home theatre very much. If my TV would be wall-mounted, I would think twice about having a basebaord heater.
  • I'm using 2 x 80 mm fans that were suggested to me. They are on the extremeties of the case. I kept one in the front since it blows air towards the SSD which is mounted in the optical drive tray. And I put the second fan at the fan end because had I put it in the middle, blowing onto the CPU and it's HSF, contrary to what most people would think, it would interupt the air flow of the HSF.

Everything seems to be fine now that the mechanical drives are out of that small case and the snake pit of wires has been dealt with. However, there is still a problem with this CPU. I will try putting my own thermal paste tomorrow, when I resume working on this, but for now, I have one thing to add.

Not to be blunt but I noticed your post on this thread which read:

Quote:I might also suggest a non K version of the AMD A6 to save on the heat and energy. The K's are 100W processors and the non K are 65W. I made that mistake and had to do a little more work to keep it cool and quiet (although I'm using an A10 and the stock heatsink couldn't keep up.)

But then, in this post, you say:

Quote:The stock cooler should be fine. Its only a 65W processor.

Both my build and the other one on that user's thread include the same exact processor. In one post you say it's a 65W processor, and in another, you say because it's a K processor, it's a 100W processor. Again, not to be blunt, but I think that you either made a mistake in your posts or you misguided me into buying this CPU without the necessary aftermarket HSF. Now I'm stuck with a stock HSF that can't handle this "100W" processor.
The processor you have is a 65W. I didn't realize that the K thing doesn't follow the trend in the A6 series. Some K's are 65W and some non K's are 100 W in the A6. The stock cooler with adequate air flow should be enough. My sisters A6-5400K (I'm almost sure that's what it is) in her desktop runs fine with stock cooler and one 120mm fan. I am going to correct my post in the other tread since the poster was asking about the same processor. Maybe try moving the forward fan back one place. It will still move the air over the SSD and draw a little more warm air away from the processor.
The 6400K will run much cooler and quieter with this- "Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B"....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Bluray, I don't doubt that but unless it's needed, I don't want to spend any more money. I'm looking into something as we speak. I'll get back to you guys tomorrow afternoon with my results.

Lazer, it's no problem. Thank you for suggesting the components. It's a fine HTPC.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC0