• 7(current)
First HTPC
Ok. When you install, you are supposed to leave it zipped. I may be mistaken, but I think the "dependencies not met" error is that the add on was not updated for Gotham. If you got it from a third party site, see if they have updated it for Gotham.
Im using frodo
(2014-04-20, 03:26)Solidify Wrote:
Quote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealD...bo.1594348 - 100

Wouldn't have fit in my home theater stand.

Quote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820313426 - 50

I try to stick with G.Skill and Corsair RAM. Those are the brands I trust

Quote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820178455 - 60

120GB is more than I needed. I just needed enough to put Windows. Even 60GB now has some free space left.

Quote:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817104080 - 56

Again, I only trust XFX or SeaSonic branded PSUs (some Antec models are good also).

Quote:You could go with an even more silent Powersupply actually. A straight up Power Brick with that system.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817129006

That's interesting, I didn't know that existed.

Quote:Your PC isn't built for XBMC. It's built to be a PC to do regular PC tasks.

Are you implying it is stronger than it needs to be for what I intend to use it for? If so, I agree. When building it, I had a feeling this PC was a tad overkill for a HTPC because I had read articles about people making HTPCs from scrap computer parts, and here I was, buying pretty good components.

Quote:As long as you aren't doing anything more than internet browsing and XBMC, you don't need much. It's when you want to start gaming and things then you need more. Or doing a ton of multi tasking.

The PC will be only for XBMC. Nothing else.

Quote:To fix your problem though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6819113364

You sent the wrong link here.

Quote:If you had purchased the build from above though, you'd have the bigger 120 MM fan which moves more air and is quieter.

I didn't think about that. Good point. Oh well, it's my first HTPc build. All my other builds were in regular mid- to full-tower cases so I'm not used to this. I'll know for next time.

Quote:The guide build you picked was the worst combination you possibly could have picked which is unfortunate. Any other one would have been better.

Again like I said, it was suggested to me.

Well on the RAM part, all ram comes is repackaging of someone elses work. Trusting a certain brand of ram more than another doesn't really work because neither company makes RAM. There are only 3 companies who make ram. Micron, and two other South Korean companies. Corsair/Gskill, etc. just repackage, throw a heatsink/logo and sell it. This is why there isn't a favorite Ram brand on any review site (Trusted review sites. You have to remember a lot of people are given incentives now a days. Even forum members on tech sites now get paid in cash or free products to favorable portray products. Some members even openly have it states in their signatures that they get gear sponsored by xyz company).

The SSD at 120GB was just to point out you could pick up a cheaper SSD that has more space. Not sure why you'd be upset with getting a cheaper SSD with more space that's a win win.

Again with only trusting certain brands. It's understandable to people who aren't just crazy about this type of stuff to think certain brands are vastly superior to others. This is an HTPC build though. There isn't a real reason to use a full size powersupply at all. This is one of those things where you need to do your research and not just trust branding/marketing. Pico Powersupply would also be good, I just went off newegg but I'd go with a Pico PowerSupply which is equally as small. Has great reviews on most tech sites, most forum reviews, etc. No reason to gimp your build by going with only XFX and Seasonic. Especially when there are SO MANY more powersupply makers who are reputable and XFX isn't even a big name in powersupplies at all. In fact, XFX is selling you seasonic powersupplies with their name on it instead. That's all. Both companies are using Seasonic powersupplies.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/powe...,2913.html

The more you know.

But in short on powersupplies for HTPCs, you can't go with traditional big brands like Seasonic because they aren't focused on the mini ITX market. This would be like trying to buy a truck but only trusting porsche so you go out and buy a Cayenne since it's the porsche with the most trunk room when what you really needed was a F-150 or a Silverado. This is why powersupplies like Pico became popular. Because they fit a niche in the market that was previously just ignored.

On this point "
Are you implying it is stronger than it needs to be for what I intend to use it for? If so, I agree. When building it, I had a feeling this PC was a tad overkill for a HTPC because I had read articles about people making HTPCs from scrap computer parts, and here I was, buying pretty good components. "

There is no performance benefit you gain from buying "faster" components than needed. It's something enthusiasts do but if you aren't online bragging about your PC parts like most enthusiasts, then really there is no point in buying something you'll never utilize.

Like you said though, it's your first build, and NO ONE does their first build well. I made a HUGE mistake when I purchased my case. Went with the new(at the time) NZXT company and got a case with HORRID case fans. THe noise was horrible. I bought a cheap mobo that needed so many restarts just to get into windows. My Video Card just went insane on me (wasn't really my fault I guess), so it's always a learning experience. Important thing is you completed the build and you can learn from it now. It took me owning one of the worst cases I think a person could ever own to really get a good understanding of what you want in a case.

I'd love to help you on your issue but unless you have a hardware issue, I'm not of much use Sad. I follow hardware religiously. I'm still learning the great things software can do lol. I find new things about XBMC/software side that I just never know.
(2014-04-20, 15:12)Solidify Wrote: Tential or noory, can you help me with my above post?

Which skin are you using? Almost all of the usual skins mention their dependencies in their forum thread and a lot of them can be installed from the XBMC repository without downloading any zip file.
Does Aeon Nox have a Turn Off function? I can't install it for some reason. On Aeon MQ5 though I have Shutdown Exit Power Off as my options when I'm in my shut down menu.

I go to the Shuddown, then go to the sub menu and have all the functions there. I'm not sure how to set auto suspend though as I don't think I can actually use the function. Pretty sure that because I purchased Haswell processors when they first came out, I have a USB/sleep bug so I never tried it.

Both of these issues are software. I'd post them in the General Help section to get help from people who probably are extremely familiar with the XBMC program as this is a hardware forum where people are supposed to be more familiar with hardware.
Quote:The SSD at 120GB was just to point out you could pick up a cheaper SSD that has more space. Not sure why you'd be upset with getting a cheaper SSD with more space that's a win win.

I never said I was upset. Dont worry hun, we can still be friends lol

Quote:I'd love to help you on your issue but unless you have a hardware issue, I'm not of much use

That's fine. Stick around. I'm sure you'll be needed soon.

norry,

Quote:Which skin are you using?

I'm using the latest Aeon Nox skin on Frodo.

Quote:Almost all of the usual skins mention their dependencies in their forum thread and a lot of them can be installed from the XBMC repository without downloading any zip file.

Can you link me to the thread for my skin? And maybe I can download the dependencies from the repo but on the add-on thread for the add-on I want, the OP made it clear that it needs to be installed from a ZIP.

Tential,

I fixed my auto-shutdown issue. I'm just struggling to install the add-on now for latest movies.
OK. Some basic troubleshooting confirms that it is indeed the stock CPU fan that is the source of all this noise. Therefore, I'll be looking to replace it. Some of you have made the following suggestion:

http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-SCBSK-2100-...B0069CQ7BE

Any last words before purchasing it (i.e: mounting bracket compatibility, height restriction in my case) or any other models that are just as good for less money?
Thanks in advance.

Edit: Also, I tried the CPU FAN Q-Fan Control in my HTPC's bios and I can confirm that the CPU fan slowed down (became less noisy) when I enabled the feature and set it to "standard" or even "turbo" but the problem is that with the Q-Fan feature enabled and the CPU fan running any slower than full speed with this stock cooler, the CPU temps kept rising past 38C when idling. So I disabled the Q-fan feature and left things as they are and will just get the above linked aftermarket cooler. Hopefully that one will be able to run quietly while still cooling my CPU adequately.
It's a choice. I don't know much about low profile CPU coolers though. I'd check and make sure you have enough clearance height. Should be in the manual how big of a CPU cooler you can use with that case. Biggest issue with reviews on CPU coolers is that most review sites don't do as many of them as they used to. CoolerMaster is almost always the most picked among enthusiast CPU Fans and Review sites don't review products their enthusiasts don't buy. So we don't see lots of reviews for low power chips (changing now as it's the only thign remotely going on in the CPU world), and we don't see lots of reviews for CPU coolers, especially low profile ones. It's not a bad choice though and you aren't doing anything CPU intensive. The cooler is also pretty quiet even at load.

I'd replace all the fans though with low flow/low DB options if noise is really that much of an issue. The case fans that I posted were 8 dollars each but will also lower noise. Actually, I'd just remove the case fans if I was you. Anandtech's review of this case (the revision model that came out a little bit ago) had 0 case fans and ran fine under stress testing. You should be fine as long as you aren't constantly getting 100% cpu utilization for 10+ hours straight or something (which I doubt you would).
The case fans are fine. When I tested it with just the CPU fan running (no case fans), the noise was identical. So I'm sure that the aftermarket CPU fan will regulate the noise. And yes, if it does end up being the case fans, which I doubt, I can just remove them later hassle-free.

I read the reviews for the case on Newegg and people reported also having used this cheaper CPU fan. What do you think:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6835103177

Edit: Finally, I purchased the Cooler Master HSF above since the Scythe one seemed to be discontinued on Newegg Canada and Amazon.com wouldn't ship to me.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted on my new fan arrives and is mounted. Thanks again everyone.
Is there a way to set a timer to shut down my desktop PC when my family is done watching their shows on the HTPC? The HTPC streams files that are stored on the desktop so if I turn the desktop off when I head to bed, which I had always done, it will cut their feed now. I just started using XBMC and this is my only problem.
commando: shutdown /s /t 0 (replace 0 by numberof seconds eg.10800)
Where and how do I enter this command?
Is this command entered on my desktop PC or the HTPC?
Is it something that only needs to be entered once or every time I'd like to set the timer?
Does this command shut down my desktop PC in 10800 seconds or the HTPC?
(2014-04-23, 23:07)Solidify Wrote: The case fans are fine. When I tested it with just the CPU fan running (no case fans), the noise was identical. So I'm sure that the aftermarket CPU fan will regulate the noise. And yes, if it does end up being the case fans, which I doubt, I can just remove them later hassle-free.

I read the reviews for the case on Newegg and people reported also having used this cheaper CPU fan. What do you think:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.asp...6835103177

Edit: Finally, I purchased the Cooler Master HSF above since the Scythe one seemed to be discontinued on Newegg Canada and Amazon.com wouldn't ship to me.

I'll be sure to keep you all posted on my new fan arrives and is mounted. Thanks again everyone.

I received and installed the new CM CPU fan today and I regret to say that I don't see much difference in noise level, if any at all.

I've experimented with all the CPU Fan Profiles in my system's BIOS under the CPU Q-Fan Control section (as well as the Q-Fan control for the chassis fans) and I came to realize that it is very difficult to find comfort in presets that deliver both acceptable noise levels (from the CPU fan) while providing reassuring CPU temps.

I know it's unrealistic to expect the CPU to linger in the low 30C range during HD playback (especially if I want a silent HTPC), which is why it doesn't bother me very much since I know I'm asking for too much.

What are CPU temperature ranges I should be aiming for during playback? (Most of my video files are 1080i resolution.) If I don't find a common ground soon and the noise levels don't gradually grown on me, I have a feeling I'm going to opt for a silent HTPC at the expense of its CPU's temperature, and that's what I'm afraid of, since it will surely reduce the life on my CPU.
Have you checked the fan on the power supply? I know some are not exactly quiet.

Also on the plus side with that cpu cooler, if it is the fan, you can just replace it and not the whole heatsink. I did read recently a couple reviews on that cooler stating better performance and lower noise with a different fan.
Yes, the PSU is silent. I know for a fact the noise is not the PSU.

It's not the HSF because when I changed the settings in BIOS I managed to get the CPU Fan dead silent but because that required it to be doing approximately 600 RPM, the CPU was heating up very quickly.
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First HTPC0