Is this a good build?
Alrighty. So, I put this together. Do you think this will be good enough for XBMC, 1080p, mvk, 3D video, and an NES emulator?

Kingston Value RAM 4GB 1600MHz PC3-12800 DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM SR x8 Desktop Memory (KVR16N11S8/4)

AMD A6-5400K APU 3.6Ghz Processor

Antec Minuet 350 MicroATX Slim Case Computer Case 350 Watt 80 PLUS Power Supply

Gigabyte FM2+ AMD A78 HDMI Dual-Link DVI D-Sub UEFI BIOS mATX DDR3 2133

I have a SSD and an optical drive, so I won't be needing those.

Thank you in advance for your help and responses!
For a couple more dollars, you can get a newer AMD A6-6400K Richland 3.9GHz....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2014-04-08, 16:52)bluray Wrote: For a couple more dollars, you can get a newer AMD A6-6400K Richland 3.9GHz....

Thanks for the response!

So, if I went with that and the other components that I listed, would I be good to go for what I want it for?

Edit: Will 4GBs be good enough for this type of build or should I go 8GB?

Here is the RAM I am looking at now: G-Skill-Ripjaws
What OS will you run? I'm running Win8 and decided on 8GB of ram so I could allocate 2GB to the gpu in the bios. If price difference is marginal I'd say go for 8GB. I'm also someone that likes to build with a little overhead that way I don't have to upgrade often.
I have a copy of Windows 8 that I plan on using. I think that I will go ahead and go with 8GBs. So, my list should be good to go, then? How is Win8 with XBMC?

I think that I would like to go with AMD, but I am wondering about a Haswell i3. Do you think that AMD is better for an HTPC?

Thanks!
(2014-04-08, 17:25)testudoaubreii Wrote: I think that I would like to go with AMD, but I am wondering about a Haswell i3. Do you think that AMD is better for an HTPC?

Thanks!
Haswell i3 is good too, but it is almost double the price of Richland A6. I give AMD iGPU the edge over Intel iGPU, but I give Intel CPU the edge over AMD.

You'll enjoy the A6...
(2014-04-08, 17:25)testudoaubreii Wrote: I have a copy of Windows 8 that I plan on using. I think that I will go ahead and go with 8GBs. So, my list should be good to go, then? How is Win8 with XBMC?

I think that I would like to go with AMD, but I am wondering about a Haswell i3. Do you think that AMD is better for an HTPC?

Thanks!

I recently switched back to Win8 for the HTPC and I love it. I have a button mapped for the start menu on the remote and put all my apps in the first pane of the start menu. It makes for a nice 10ft UI that is easily navigated with a remote.
(2014-04-08, 18:41)LazerBlue Wrote:
(2014-04-08, 17:25)testudoaubreii Wrote: I have a copy of Windows 8 that I plan on using. I think that I will go ahead and go with 8GBs. So, my list should be good to go, then? How is Win8 with XBMC?

Thanks!

I recently switched back to Win8 for the HTPC and I love it. I have a button mapped for the start menu on the remote and put all my apps in the first pane of the start menu. It makes for a nice 10ft UI that is easily navigated with a remote.
I love Windows 8.1, especially the touch screen option on my "Microsoft Surface Pro"....
Thanks for the input!

Will I see a noticeable difference between 4GBs and 8GBs, and between 1600 and 1866, etc?
(2014-04-08, 21:22)testudoaubreii Wrote: Thanks for the input!

Will I see a noticeable difference between 4GBs and 8GBs, and between 1600 and 1866, etc?
For Blu-ray playback, NOBE!
(2014-04-09, 00:13)bluray Wrote:

Does that mean that I am good to go with 1600 lol?
Oh, I was just looking at the mobo that I ordered, the Gigabyte FM2+ AMD A78 HDMI Dual-Link DVI D-Sub UEFI BIOS mATX DDR3. Will I be able to install the AMD A6-6400? It says that the CPU needs an FM2 mobo, and the one that I listed is an FM2+. Do I have a problem there?
FM2 will work in a FM2+ socket
(2014-04-09, 00:59)LazerBlue Wrote: FM2 will work in a FM2+ socket

Thank you!

I cannot find any information about this motherboard anywhere. I mean, other than on Gigabyte's website, but that just gives specs. Do you happen to know anything about it?
(2014-04-09, 00:27)testudoaubreii Wrote:
(2014-04-09, 00:13)bluray Wrote:

Does that mean that I am good to go with 1600 lol?
Yes!

(2014-04-09, 02:02)testudoaubreii Wrote:
(2014-04-09, 00:59)LazerBlue Wrote: FM2 will work in a FM2+ socket

Thank you!

I cannot find any information about this motherboard anywhere. I mean, other than on Gigabyte's website, but that just gives specs. Do you happen to know anything about it?
Here is the information on FM2+- AMD FM2+ Socket For Kaveri APU Is Backward Compatible With Trinity and Richland...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is this a good build?0