Win Browse For Mapped NFS Network Drive Missing
((SOLVED))
I've mapped an NFS network drive to a Windows 7 client and I'd like to use this source in XBMC.
I can browse the mapped drive and play using MPCHC within windows.
I cannot see the drive when I browse for it in XBMC/Add Videos.
It is not in the list.
All my manual attempts (Y:\ Y:/ etc) yield "Unable to Connect" "Remote Share Path not found or invalid".
Switching to mapped SMB everything is perfect but I would prefer to use NFS if possible.

Using Gotham 4/8 nightly.
After failed attempts, I replaced libnfs.dll with the beta 1 but it still failed.
My mapped address is 192.168.1.2:/f/movies 2 ( Y: )
Any input greatly appreciated.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
I have been having good a similar problem however mine is using the direct server name and it address. I can reach the share from Windows, but not from xbmc 13. I posted a bug report and log file to the bug report link.
This is the format the XBMC wiki says to use for NFS,

nfs://1.2.3.4/path/to/folder

Try connecting directly to the NFS drive from XBMC, trying to add it as a source through a mapped network drive on Windows is asking for trouble.
I have no problem browsing to the NFS server and adding it's drives in XBMC/Add Videos. I'm trying to add the MAPPED drives from the server on this windows client as the source. But as I said, XBMC cannot see the mapped drives and that is my dilemma. I have a very real need for XBMC to see and scan in these mapped drives:

1st, SMB does not have the throughput NFS does to help WiFi stream huge .iso rips @50GB full BRay that will grow larger. Even NFS struggles but less than SMB. Eventually WiFi routers will improve.
2nd, forced to use an external player for complete menu 3DBR iso's + extras since XBMC cannot render full native 3D BRay rips (Yet). This also means a virtual mount is needed for external software player. XBMC can hand off an SMB share to the virtual mount since windows understands SMB. However, it can not hand off an NFS share because NFS has no drive letter for the virtual mount in the windows environment to understand. The outcome is a windows error pop up for the VCD mount saying it can't mount the NFS address. So, the workaround would be to map the NFS so that it gets something windows can understand...a drive letter. Then it should mount.

So, I have mapped the NFS share. I have a drive letter, Y:. I can manually mount something from that mapped drive to the virtual mount and play it with an external player while working with all of it in windows. That confirms it all works and shakes hands. Now I want XBMC to do it. I have all the playercorefactory and batch files in my userdata folder to automate everything. That all works fine until I try to do it with an NFS share as stated above. I figure if I use a mapped drive letter as the source, the handoff will be just as if I was manually doing it in the windows environment. But, 1st, XBMC will need to see that mapped drive and it's letter. That is the problem. That is what I'm asking the community for help with. If anyone has figured out how to do it? Endless searching has turned up nothing except adding mapped SMB shares which I can do also but I'm looking for mapped NFS shares scanned into XBMC. This is the closest I've uncovered but it's very old http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=87168 Thank you for taking interest in this little dilemma.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
adding the mapped drives from windows in xbmc has nothing to do XBMCs internal nfs implementation (e.x. libnfs.dll) - just for your information.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi,

Just to be clear my issue was with adding the share using (roughly) the format described. I'm running windows 2012 server with standard windows shares setup. They are available through windows 8.1 using the following path:

\\server\videos\movies\movie title

Using XBMC 12.3 they work fine using the same path

Upgrading to XBMC 13 beta they fail to load (path not found). For error checking purposes I tried browsing to the folder using windows, and I can still access the path through windows.

Downgrading back to XBMC 12.3 returns the folders to working.

I've submitted a bug to bugtracker along with a log file in case others are experiencing this problem.

Gavin
i have just set up today what you are after only using windows 7 and everything worked as expected and exact same reason for external player usage, so this could be a windows 8 issue as i believe that uses a different client to 7 again this is win 7 so may not work in 8 but how did you mount also, try an elevated cmd prompt and use "mount \\***.***.***.***\pathtofolder M:"
mount\\192.168.1.2\f\movies 2 M: = The system cannot find the path specified.
I've always right clicked on Network and selected Map Network Drive.
I can't browse for it so I type in 192.168.1.2:/f/movies 2, select a drive letter from the drop down and it maps.
I don't know how a mount can be any different if it's mounted but that new mapped drive does have a properties tab just like any other drive. Within it are 'NFS Attributes' and 'NFS Mount Options'. There are a couple fields that can be changed but I don't know if it would have any effect so that XBMC can see it? Is it ok if I PM you?

not sure if a typo in your post but you need a space between mount and \\

just tried my music share on my laptop and that works perfect also mount \\192.168.1.7\HDMusic :t and again working perfect, have you enabled the windows services for NFS also? this is only available in Ultimate or Enterprise editions
(2014-04-12, 23:01)gmctavish Wrote: I've submitted a bug to bugtracker along with a log file in case others are experiencing this problem.

Gavin

Thats no bug thats intended. It worked in Frodo by accident and not for all situations as the internal XBMC format is smb://server/...
All url functions like strip paths and other shuffling around works with url style stuff and it produced to much headache to allow unc style paths and therefore was removed.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
OMG! orby, thank you 1000 times over...
Yep, needed a space. Also needed to remove the space between 'movies 2' by changing folder name on server. Now it indeed can be browsed in XBMC. Also, it will not map the drive using the right click on network folder and have XBMC see it. Command prompt is the correct way as you pointed out. Everything perfect and completely automated including all the external player stuff. THIS ONLY WORKS in Frodo though and not latest nightly Gotham for me. I don't really understand the post by Wiso but I assume that is why? If so, can it be included in Gotham for folks like us? Imo, once the community understands the procedures and confirmations that it is possible, this will be what we/they gravitate to. I'm fairly certain everyone would prefer NFS over SMB once they understand how to do it. What I'm really hoping is that it does work in Gotham and I'm just doing something wrong and maybe someone can further enlighten me? Thanks again. Btw, your ":" needs to be after t like this "mount \\192.168.1.7\HDMusic t:" in order for me to CMD without error. Rep point for you ; )

opps typo on the :t hehe

i am using beta 3 of Gotham with the revised libnfs.dll from the other bug thread(http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=190345) and it's working as expected the M drive appears in the browse list, was waiting till rc1 as everything is working as needed in beta 3, will try and upgrade my laptop to a nightly tonight if i can and see if it works

my setup is Movies is my shared folder then using mklink junctions in windows i have created folders to point to all the hard drives in my server so my movie paths are

192.168.1.7\Movies\Movies1
192.168.1.7\Movies\Movies2

i do this as cuts down on the amount of shares needing to manage

if you have sources though for music or tvshows and don't need the external player i would mount the shares the normal way through xbmc cuts down on the drives needed in windows

and i agree, it's a little messy getting it working but NFS just behaves so much smoother than SMB, i first did it via SMB due to the bug, but again going through the pain to redo was worth it as images and everything is almost intant
I didn't try with the revised libnfs.dll because Memphiz stated it had nothing to do with implementing NFS when I tried it 1st time. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a go 1 more time. Glad to know Gotham works for you and it's on my end. I'll keep plugging away.....

just installed the 13/4 nightly and can still see the mapped M drive when i browse to add files

aye the new dll won't do much for us in this method but i do use the internal implementation to access music and tvshows as there is no need for an external player with those Smile
Sent you a PM orby.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Browse For Mapped NFS Network Drive Missing2