Win Browse For Mapped NFS Network Drive Missing
Making some headway. I found part of the problem. It appears rebooting messes it up. From CMD I add remote share, open XBMC and I can finally browse to the drive letter and all is well. If I reboot, and browse XBMC, it's not there anymore. So, I open CMD and map it again (without disconnecting the original map which is still useable in windows environment but not XBMC browsing. It's valid). CMD reports success. (kind of like overwriting the map that is already there). Then I open XBMC and I CAN browse to it. If I reboot, I have to start this procedure all over again. Any ideas what could be happening or where to start for things I can check?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
me again Smile, it's not a persistent share

try this "mount \\192.168.1.2\sharename M: /persistent:yes"

or create a batch file with this in it and place it C:\Users\yourprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startupr or you can see if it will work with a group policy edit

@echo off
set delay=10
ping localhost -n %delay%
mount \\192.168.1.2\sharename M:

the delay is to make sure the network is up and running you can extend or shorten the the time from 10 to what's required
I tried the CMD and .bat and still nothing to browse in XBMC after reboot. I've also been doing this on 2 other W7 clients. All the same thing, after reboot it all fails. In my mind, we have eliminated the PC (O/S) being borked since 3 PC's have tried. (not virgin installs so formatting is next) Eliminated XBMC since it works for others and they were fresh installs. I just want to make sure that all I have to do is install XBMC and allow firewall for private network and not for public when it pops up? I don't make any adjustments or add anything at all. I install and go straight to Videos/Files/Add Videos/Browse/and in here is where the mapped drive letter should be. Is this correct? Eliminated the procedures to map since they work for others. Eliminated the software to serve since others are successful with Hanewin. I've turned off all firewalls and port forwarded Hanewin in my router and I'm Ethernet into the clients. I'm also beside the server with these clients. I'm making sure the server spins the disks while all this is being done. I don't know what else is left except a bic lighter and a can of hairspray? I really appreciate all of you trying with me. Any other ideas?
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
for the .bat file I'll try and upload mine today just in case it's a formatting issue, also try disabling UAC completely and setting cmd to always run as an administrator

try making this change also

Go to Start -> type in "gpedit.msc" in the run/search field.

In the Local Group Policy Editor that pops up, go to "Computer Configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "System" -> "Logon" -> "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon"

Double click the latter and set it to "enabled".

and you can also make a change to this one to increase the delay windows sets

In the Local Group Policy Editor go to "Computer Configuration" -> "Administrative Templates" -> "System" -> "Group Policy" -> set "Startup policy processing wait time" to desired number
Fwiw, I've always used this. It wakes the server from a cold boot LAN or WAN. But again, I'm making sure the server is spun up when doing all of this so there is no room for doubt. When XBMC starts, it pings the server. If it's awake, I get a pop up that says so. If it isn't, the pop up says server didn't wake. The mapped drive on the client is always visible and always accessible. It has the red x and I click the drive and play a file with WMP, red x goes away, icon turns green. That way I know it's valid and working. For the most part, it's green and I don't ever have to touch it. Just when I'm remapping for the 1st time. Then I start XBMC and browse for it. It isn't present. Also, XBMC.exe/properties/compatibility/disable desktop composition + run as admin is how I set it. Again, in windows environment the mapped drive is there. I don't need to wait on the network or the server. That mapped drive functions. It's completely accessible. XBMC just doesn't realize that in my case. I presume the handshake, while perfect in windows environment, isn't so perfect in XBMC environment because of a clash or something? Why the two get along perfectly until I reboot is beyond me? I don't know where or what to look for to give me a clue of what changes after booting? I understand a suspect would be that XBMC might not see the mapped drive on reboot anymore because it didn't wait long enough for it to become present over the network, but I'm certain that's not the case. The mapped drive just looses it's compatibility to be recognized in the XBMC environment is my guess and that is what I'm trying to overcome. I set the LGPE as you suggested. It certainly can't hurt. Also disabled UAC. While I'm here, I will change the user account name to match the server. The SAMBA music is getting louder....

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT a minute. Just rebooted. SUCCESS!!!!! I can now browse to the mapped drive and add it! Not sure which of those changes did it but will investigate? Have 6 other maps with red x's. The 7th map is green after boot. Only the green one XBMC sees. Odd? Selected a red x map. Played a title in windows with MPCHC. Icon turned green. Open XBMC. That map is now there. Going to remap those. Your persistent:yes was not done on those. I bet that's the hot tip. orby, you are what makes this community a pleasure. I can't thank you enough for not abandoning. May good things come your way. I'll mark this solved after further testing. Thanks a bunch : )

My XBMC.bat:
@echo off
C:\wol\wolcmd ipofserver ipofrouter gateway port
TIMEOUT 75
CD C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\
START XBMC.exe
EXIT

+

My WOL.bat:
@echo off
C:\wolcmd ipofserver ipofrouter gateway port
EXIT

wolcmd is a small freeware.

mapped drives on windows is a pain in the butt, has a lot of quirks and niggles, even smb shares can fail to mount at boot as often the windows script for them runs before the network has finished initializing so the windows script thinks there offline, but a double click on the red x wakes them up as everything has loaded

my htpc has a ssd drive and boots in 19 seconds so scripts are the only way for me, but with the new libnfs fix i have limited them now to only one mapped drive as music and tvshows can use the internal xbmc implementation as no external player is needed

have a look at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/278...ndows.html it might help you reduce the number of mapped drives you need also

just to give an idea of how i use it also
on my server i have a folder called Shares on the c drive, and in there is the junction links which point to my hard drives so everything appears as one big folder but its link the drives together for sharing, so shares is shared as movies and in xbmc i can add Movies\movies1 and movies\movies2 etc as sources
this is the batch file i am using now, just tested it before posting and all is working

@echo off
set delay=10(you might need a longer delay here)
ping localhost -n %delay%
mount \\192.168.1.7\Movies M:
cd c:\program files (x86)\XBMC\
xbmc.exe
exit
(2014-04-13, 13:50)WiSo Wrote:
(2014-04-12, 23:01)gmctavish Wrote: I've submitted a bug to bugtracker along with a log file in case others are experiencing this problem.

Gavin

Thats no bug thats intended. It worked in Frodo by accident and not for all situations as the internal XBMC format is smb://server/...
All url functions like strip paths and other shuffling around works with url style stuff and it produced to much headache to allow unc style paths and therefore was removed.

Pointing out what you are saying...
1. The "\\server\movies" mapping did work under Frodo (by accident)
2. It no longer works under Gotham

I'm not going to parse whether or not this is "a bug", but what I will point out is that there may well be other people with Frodo installed, who are using the path format I described, and who will experience issues with their mappings when they upgrade to Gotham. Again, while this may not be "a bug" (we can debate that to no end), what it likely will do is cause all of those people whose shares no longer work to flock to the forum seeking an answer.

I would suggest that if this "historical accident" which caused "\\server\movies" to work is being "resolved", that the upgrade from Frodo to Gotham either check for these mappings upon installation and alert users to go fix their paths (or do so automatically), or at very least a sticky with "the fix" be posted to the forum.

I would hypothesize that I'm not the only person who this will impact, and I would guess its easier to address up front, once, as opposed to after the fact and with multiple confused users.

Anyway, just a suggestion, take it or leave it.
THIS THREAD IS SOLVED.
The point of this thread was for those of us who prefer to use NFS vs. SMB who also meet the following criteria: Granted, not every point was covered here. There are other ways to achieve what I/we have been trying to accomplish but imo, this is the most efficient way to do it. I admit, there were times I thought some things were just impossible especially after exploring searches everywhere that said it was impossible. Thanks to a great community here, all the hurdles have been overcome for this user and superstitions have been buried. Thanks to everyone who helped make this possible.

You are serving from Windows 7 using Hanewin NFS. May be able to serve from W8 also. This is my next project.
Your client is W7 or W8.
You are using an external player to render .iso's. Without the tips in this thread, you will receive a 'Cannot Mount nfs xxx.xxx.xxx..xxx' windows pop up.
You want everything seamless and automated after selecting the title within XBMC.
You want to map the network drive on the client and only use 1 drive letter that contains multiple drives and locations from the server.
You want your HTPC to wake from a cold start and/or from hibernation LAN and/or WAN.
You want your mapped drive valid with no red x without any intervention.
You are using the latest nightly version of Gotham.
Your client is WiFi.
You want your drives to spin down when not in use and spin up when called upon.
You demand reliability each and every access.
You don't mind creating/integrating batch files.
You accept the challenge of the command prompt.
You want a choice of booting directly into XBMC or not.
You watch 2D and 3D content.
You desire the least amount of button pushes and mouse clicks possible so it is user friendly while enjoying your content.
You are an average computer user not intimidated by things unfamiliar.
I'm sure there are many other valid points not listed. These are just off the top of my head. Don't be afraid to create your perfect network server and clients.

Brazen, while the 'mapped drives' portion of the discussion was solved, the issue I commented on (which I acknowledge ended up being only loosely related to your original issue, and therefore may warrant it's own thread) remains unaddressed. I am glad that the mapped drive solution was clarified, I continue to maintain, however, that there remains a risk that others may experience network share issues as they upgrade from Frodo to Gotham (see my prior note)
Imo, I would fresh install from Frodo to Gotham once the RC or final is released. If one was to just install a new version on top of an old version it could potentially cause problems especially with plug-ins. New versions come out what....every couple years or so? I think that warrants a rebuild. For those who find that too cumbersome, I would save the old version and migrate some of the userdata folders to maintain watched status, etc. Also, if the paths are different from 1 version to another, how hard is it to delete the old path(s) and add the new, scan it in and be done? Besides, maybe it's time to upgrade the mapped source(s) along with Gotham anyway which is exactly, exactly, exactly, what I'm doing and the point of this thread. I guess what I'm saying is that imo, it's not really an issue but I fully understand that to others it is.

(2014-04-15, 22:53)brazen1 Wrote: Imo, I would fresh install from Frodo to Gotham once the RC or final is released. If one was to just install a new version on top of an old version it could potentially cause problems especially with plug-ins. New versions come out what....every couple years or so? I think that warrants a rebuild. For those who find that too cumbersome, I would save the old version and migrate some of the userdata folders to maintain watched status, etc. Also, if the paths are different from 1 version to another, how hard is it to delete the old path(s) and add the new, scan it in and be done? Besides, maybe it's time to upgrade the mapped source(s) along with Gotham anyway which is exactly, exactly, exactly, what I'm doing and the point of this thread. I guess what I'm saying is that imo, it's not really an issue but I fully understand that to others it is.

Brazen, I would agree that would solve the issue, and if the recommendation is made that people do a clean install rather than upgrade then the forum likely won't be flooded with people asking why their network locations are no longer available. However, if an easy upgrade path is provided, without a warning to check the network paths, and if most people take that easy upgrade path and don't check their network paths, then I'm guessing there will be more than a few people in the forum asking what happened to their network locations.

I completely get the issue:
"\\server\videos" works in Frodo, by accident
"\\server\videos" no longer works in Gotham
if you have a working installation of Frodo using "\\server\videos" as your network location, and you upgrade to Gotham, your shares will appear to no longer work
a solution is to run a clean install of Gotham, or delete and re-add your shares using the correct paths (I assume this we require me to rescan and scrape all of my media?)
an alternate solution would be for Gotham to check for these paths and updated them appropriately (something it cannot do today)

As I say, issue is clear, but if this isn't pointed out to a general public upgrading, I'm guessing there will be a group of people who will experience the same issue I did - I'm just guessing that I can't have been the only person that did a copy and paste from a windows explorer bar to get their network paths.
I just upgraded from Frodo to Gotham last night and ran into this issue.
I tried using NFS add but when I select NFS it basically just runs and then does nothing.
The reason I used the direct network path was because the mapped drives would sometimes "fail to connect" and then the library would throw missing files errors until I rebooted again.
Just in general in case I missed it...

Why was this "accidental" feature "fixed" in the first place? It obviously worked just fine using direct network paths...

Secondly is there any way to set in Win7 for mapped drives to auto-scan/reconnect to avoid said disconnection issues?

thanks,
Post # 17, 19, 20, 22 made it pretty clear how to connect the mapped drives. Works perfect btw. Tested on W7 and W8.1 NFS and SMB using mklink for multiple drive letters.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Browse For Mapped NFS Network Drive Missing2