• 11(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
Found a solution in BIOS with target CPU temperature. It triggers CPU Fan control, with a percentage of fan speed.

Now it's quiet.

Now the only problem left is I can't wake up my HTPC from hibernation with USB devices.

In my previous XBMC platform, I could wake up with my remote, then launch XBMC. I loved it that way. Anyway this is not an XBMC issue, but is certainly motherboard related, so I've asked the question to MSI directly along with a problem with 3 beeps at post (although the system boots fine after that).

I knew when I chose MSI that I would have some troubles having it working flawlessly ^^.
With further testings, and until MSI correct something with a BIOS update, I can tell you that you shouldn't by this motherboard (MSI AM1I MS-7865) if you expect to wake up your XBMC system with a USB remote.

It looks like this motherboard only support wake up from S3 state (suspend to ram). I only use S4 state (hibernate) because it draws less power.

The only way I could find to wake up from S5 is by using a PS2/USB dongle with an old USB wired mouse. PS2 ports are still powered by the motherboard while in S5 state, but USB ports aren't.

My intention was to be able to boot XBMC with my USB MCE remote, and then put it to sleep whenever I wan't.

It seems like a no go with this motherboard. I though I'd save some bucks with that MSI motherboard, I now wish I'd bought another one...

Odd thing is that this motherboard isn't even able to wake-up with its built-in wake UP by RTC alarme feature in the bios...

I could return it, but it means I'd have to reinstall everything again with the new MB. I'd rather replace my remote by an imon one, with the internal cable that connects to the ATX pins, and is able to switch on the computer.
Hello,

im new to all this, but im looking for a cheap media center, internet pc for my living room and AM1 seems to suit perfectly.
But i have a few doubts about the right small case for it, any ideia for a small case for a AM1 cheap build?

I was thinking about this:

ASrock AM1H-ITX (just because the DC in)
AMD 5350
SSD and Ram i have it already
Menrad -> if you have in your bios an option, to enable "USB legacy", try to enable it. You might have usb ports powered then.

jakare -> if you looking for cheap HTPC case, try looking at this:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.ph...11&area=en
They cost about 40-50 euros
Thanks for your suggestion Shiro. Unfortunately this option is already enabled in my bios, and seems to have no effect on wake up features.
Got an answer today about my USB wake-up problem:

MSI Wrote:Regarding your concern,we are sorry that this MB doesn't support wake up from S4 by usb device, it can only support resume from S3 by usb device. Thanks!

My old Asus MB with AMD-E350 could do so. That's something I didn't even think of before buying.
(2014-08-04, 09:47)Menrad Wrote: Got an answer today about my USB wake-up problem:

MSI Wrote:Regarding your concern,we are sorry that this MB doesn't support wake up from S4 by usb device, it can only support resume from S3 by usb device. Thanks!

My old Asus MB with AMD-E350 could do so. That's something I didn't even think of before buying.

My asrock am1b-itx can be turned on from s5 using flirc.

You may have to stick with s3 or implement an ir power switch.
I'm considering buying an ir switch if I don't return this MB.
Really, how much difference in power draw is there between s3 and s5? Last time I checked there was a difference of a fraction of a watt between off and s3 on a 5 or so year old gaming pc, I can only imagine it being lower between s3 and s5 on recent hardware.
Ordered my AMD APU Athlon 5350 Quad Core and ASRock AM1H-ITX
(2014-08-02, 20:57)shiro Wrote: Menrad -> if you have in your bios an option, to enable "USB legacy", try to enable it. You might have usb ports powered then.

jakare -> if you looking for cheap HTPC case, try looking at this:
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.ph...11&area=en
They cost about 40-50 euros

Thanks,

But i was thinking about like Akasa Case or something like that but will be enough power for mb,cpu,ssd, and a 2.5 or 3.5 hdd?
The Silverstone case is amazing but i will pay same price for a psu Sad
(2014-08-04, 13:52)teeedubb Wrote: Really, how much difference in power draw is there between s3 and s5? Last time I checked there was a difference of a fraction of a watt between off and s3 on a 5 or so year old gaming pc, I can only imagine it being lower between s3 and s5 on recent hardware.
At first I thought you were wrong. I could'nt imagine that being in hibernation mode a PC could draw as much power as in standby mode.

Besides, I didn't want to use standby because power led kept blinking when the computer was put in this state.

Then I went to check informations about power consumptions for both states and realized you were right ^^. ( interesting reading on that matter)

Then I went back to my MB bios, and found an option that prevents power led from blinking.

And now I thank you for opening my eyes. I don't have to modify anything in my HTPC Smile.

Still, I'd like to get a wattmeter to truly know how much power it draws.
Its not only about power draw for me.
I want my HTPC to be completely Off when i leave the House.
I want my HTPC to be completely boot up fresh every time (maybe not really necessary anymore with OpenElec)
I want to Power On my HTPC automatically together with my TV with http://skinflint.co.uk/brennenstuhl-prim...53604.html and the BIOS Function "AC Power Loss", therefor i need my PC to be completely off before.
| myHTPC |
@Menrad, if you do get around to it please post your results, Im curious about the numbers with a modern low power system - that article you linked to used a p4 and I tested on a i7 with 3 ram sticks.

@DDD, I used something similar, but it had a master/slave setup... when master was on everything would have power and vice versa. Worked ok but my tv must have increased power draw every now and then, which wuld power up my avr, which in turn would power up htpc via hdmi-cec, which would turn on the tv - undoubtedly caused more power usage than what it saved. Plus it didnt really suit my needs - if i wanted to download or pause a game I would need t leave the tv on, again rendering any power savings pointless. But it wors great on a desktop pc where the pc is master for speakers and monitor.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-6-outlet-...r_p4420231
In my Setup i can turn off the TV with my Harmony when i don't need it and the HTPC would stay on.
| myHTPC |
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3