• 5(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
(2014-05-08, 18:13)Ed76 Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 17:56)stammie Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 14:48)Ed76 Wrote: i have a short question to the owners of a am1/Athlon 5350 system. i want to use windows 7 or windows 8.1. can the cpu/gpu handle the highest quality video settings? that means (for me) vectoradaptive deinterlacing and lanczos3 resize (via shader, the normal lanzcos3, not the "optimzed" versions). thanks in advance!

If you tell me how to test those I'll be happy to give them a try for you and let you know, all I can tell you for now is that my 5350 with Windows 7 handles deinterlacing from my tv stick in XBMC's settings just fine and apart from a bug in XBMC (but not in other players) which I've posted about before with some uncompressed blurays my box has handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

ok. at first look at catalyst control center under video/quality for automatic deinterlacing. disable/unmark this and put the slider below to right/vector adaptiv deinterlacing. this forces va-deinterlacing. within xbmc enable dxva2 and set render method to dxva. set the % value below the render metod to 0 or 10%. play livetv or video and go to the video settings (in confluence the navigation bar below). set deinterlacing to auto, deinterlacing methode to dxva best and scaling/resize to lanzcos3 (not the optimized one). set "save this settings for all movies". restart livetv/movie or xbmc. test some 720p or 720i or 1080i contend and press button "o" while playback and look for "dropped frames".. thanks in advance!

I guess the XBMC settings are for Gotham because I don't see those settings on Frodo 12.3, I can tell you the change in the Catalyst settings have made no difference in that everything plays just as well as it did before.
Sorry I've spent way too long setting my new box up and plan to enjoy it and the content on it for a little while before upgrding to Gotham and then spending hours tweaking everything again.
yes, they are for gotham. for me xbmc 13 gives a lot better picture quality than xbmc 12. the lanczos resize shader will give a sharper picture.
(2014-05-08, 14:48)Ed76 Wrote: i have a short question to the owners of a am1/Athlon 5350 system. i want to use windows 7 or windows 8.1. can the cpu/gpu handle the highest quality video settings? that means (for me) vectoradaptive deinterlacing and lanczos3 resize (via shader, the normal lanzcos3, not the "optimzed" versions). thanks in advance!

ist there really no one who can help/tell me?
Ok I tried it out for you, I don't have any 1080i or 720i sources but on 576i live tv and 720p and 1080p files I got 0 dropped frames
thank you very much! a friend of me ask me if the am1/athlon 5350 will be powerfull enough, now i can tell him...

do you noticed the better picture quality with xbmc 13 and these settings compared to xbmc 12? on my system (amd fm2 richland a6 apu) its a big difference.
Yes the picture looked better, I've always thought mpc-hc gave a better picture than XBMC but on Gotham I'd say they are on a par now
(2014-04-10, 14:40)Dougie Fresh Wrote: All the cases I have are that configuration...

Apologies for arriving so late to this party...
(It looks like this thread was started a month ago already.)

Anyway, I just felt compelled to kvetch about the apparent utter worldwide lack of cheap decent mini ITX cases.

I would have already gladly bought one of these AM1 APU/motherboard combos myself by now if it were not for the fact that it is apparently going to cost me the same amount or more as I am going to spend on the APU+motherboard just to buy a case & power supply for the bloody thing.

Somebody should do something about that.

I mean really.! Geeezzz! Why should a mere metal box cost so much?? I mean what? Do they have to qualify those things with the FCC or something??

Hello AMD! Maybe you should take a lesson from your eternal arch rival and sell us not just the nicely inexpensive APU but also a nicely inexpensive box to put it in.

I for one refuse to pay >$70 for a box to contain my "$60" APU+motherboard combo.

I can get a case and power supply for a Raspberry PI on eBay for $16 bucks. But for mini ITX it costs over seventy?? What's wrong with this picture?
(2014-05-12, 07:03)ronbaby Wrote:
(2014-04-10, 14:40)Dougie Fresh Wrote: All the cases I have are that configuration...

Apologies for arriving so late to this party...
(It looks like this thread was started a month ago already.)

Anyway, I just felt compelled to kvetch about the apparent utter worldwide lack of cheap decent mini ITX cases.

I would have already gladly bought one of these AM1 APU/motherboard combos myself by now if it were not for the fact that it is apparently going to cost me the same amount or more as I am going to spend on the APU+motherboard just to buy a case & power supply for the bloody thing.

I mean really.! Geeezzz! Why should a mere metal box cost so much?? I mean what? Do they have to qualify those things with the FCC or something??

Hello AMD! Maybe you should take a lesson from your eternal arch rival and sell us not just the nicely inexpensive APU but also a nicely inexpensive box to put it in.

I for one refuse to pay >$70 for a box to contain my "$60" APU+motherboard combo.

I can get a case and power supply for a Raspberry PI on eBay for $16 bucks. But for mini ITX it costs over seventy?? What's wrong with this picture?

There is no need to spend so much money for a case. For 21$ + taxes you can buy this

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/aerocoo...cases.html
http://www.aerocool.com.tw/pgs/pgs-q/1111.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/aerocoo...26579.html

The red is a beauty. In Europe where I live it is sold 30 euro (it is more expensive due to higher VAT)

There are also in europe slim cases with psu around 34 euros (approx 40$ ) like MS-TECH LC-02 but I am not sure if they sold in US.
(2014-05-12, 07:03)ronbaby Wrote: Anyway, I just felt compelled to kvetch about the apparent utter worldwide lack of cheap decent mini ITX cases.
[...]
[...]
Why should a mere metal box cost so much??
[...]
What's wrong with this picture?

I agree. After all, an object cost should not be more than the cost of the raw materials. It's not like anyone had to spend money on employees, R&D, factories, shipping costs, import taxes and duties, transaction fees, or in the US, income taxes, social security, medicare, Obamacare, state taxes, local taxes, bribes to local officials (wait, that's China), or the business owner's own time spent building a business or paying for shipping, shipping supplies, business taxes, website, eBay and PayPal fees, etc. And then the greedy bastards want to make a profit too. 1%-ers!

You're right. There is something wrong with this picture. Hell, there's probably metal in my back yard for free I could dig up with a shovel and these things cost money?

Worse is food. It just grows out of the ground by itself. Why should I have to pay for it? Gas too. Dissolved dinosaurs. It should all be free.
(2014-05-12, 15:31)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I agree. After all, an object cost should not be more than the cost of the raw materials. It's not like anyone had to spend money on employees, R&D, factories, shipping costs, import taxes and duties, transaction fees, or in the US, income taxes, social security, medicare, Obamacare, state taxes, local taxes, bribes to local officials (wait, that's China), or the business owner's own time spent building a business or paying for shipping, shipping supplies, business taxes, website, eBay and PayPal fees, etc. And then the greedy bastards want to make a profit too. 1%-ers!

You're right. There is something wrong with this picture. Hell, there's probably metal in my back yard for free I could dig up with a shovel and these things cost money?

Worse is food. It just grows out of the ground by itself. Why should I have to pay for it? Gas too. Dissolved dinosaurs. It should all be free.
Thanks for the laugh Smile
Don't forget that the tooling machins, drills, industrial pliers and stuff need to be powered! electricity costs so much these days ! Thank god we can work by the window during the day or we would need lightbulbs, too.
I wish it made me laugh. Smile
Well there's tons of decent ATX and mATX cases that can be had for $50-90. Same can't be said about mITX cases... Technically they should cost less since they require less material and should cost less to ship, but I think the problem is supply, since they are more of a niche product.

I almost went for a Morex T3500 for around $130 shipped from a Canadian website. Ended up getting a Realan E-i7 w/ 120W PSU for about $125 shipped from China. With the 80mm fan mounts, low profile PCI slot, and the USB 3.0 ports, I'm hoping I won't feel limited by reusing the case across a few upgrade cycles. If you're able to reuse the case even once, it can end up cheaper than going for an AIO solution like the NUC.
(2014-05-12, 12:15)mmathiou Wrote: There is no need to spend so much money for a case. For 21$ + taxes you can buy this

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/aerocoo...cases.html
http://www.aerocool.com.tw/pgs/pgs-q/1111.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/aerocoo...26579.html
Ummmm... Nope. I'm in the US (California) and just now called their U.S. office (www.aerocool.us +1-510-661-9948, Union, City, CA) and they told me they aren't selling these in the U.S. at present. I suppose that I might be able to special order one and pay the shipping costs for a single unit from Taiwan, but as those are likely to be enormous, I'll pass.
Quote:There are also in europe slim cases with psu around 34 euros (approx 40$ ) like MS-TECH LC-02 but I am not sure if they sold in US.
Yea, sadly, that also appears to be a Europe-only kind of thing. :-(
(2014-05-12, 15:31)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2014-05-12, 07:03)ronbaby Wrote: Anyway, I just felt compelled to kvetch about the apparent utter worldwide lack of cheap decent mini ITX cases.
[...]
[...]
Why should a mere metal box cost so much??
[...]
What's wrong with this picture?

I agree. After all, an object cost should not be more than the cost of the raw materials. It's not like anyone had to spend money on employees, R&D, factories, shipping costs, import taxes and duties, transaction fees, or in the US, income taxes, social security, medicare, Obamacare, state taxes, local taxes, bribes to local officials (wait, that's China)...
... and also (let's not forget) India, Russia, the United States, and ...
Quote:...or the business owner's own time spent building a business or paying for shipping, shipping supplies, business taxes, website, eBay and PayPal fees, etc. And then the greedy bastards want to make a profit too. 1%-ers!
Please look up eBay item number 141149319958.

I guess what you are saying is that that guy who is selling those cases (with heat sinks even) for a mere $3.31 USD including shipping somehow managed to find a way to manufacture and sell them without paying for any of the things you just mentioned.
Quote:You're right. There is something wrong with this picture. Hell, there's probably metal in my back yard for free I could dig up with a shovel and these things cost money?

Not dinosaurs... decayed plant matter.

And even that is only allegedly. But there are other theories:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Deep-Hot-Biosp...0387985468
(2014-05-13, 00:34)ronbaby Wrote: Please look up eBay item number 141149319958.

I guess what you are saying is that that guy who is selling those cases (with heat sinks even) for a mere $3.31 USD including shipping somehow managed to find a way to manufacture and sell them without paying for any of the things you just mentioned.

Your mini-ITX motherboard isn't going to fit into that case and that heatsink won't adequately cool a FM1 processor. You'll still need a power supply too.

Some T-111, nails and spray paint though you could probably build a sweet PC case.
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3