• 8(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
(2014-05-13, 20:20)ForgottenMan Wrote: Is it normal that my Athlon 5350 has 41C temperature shortly after power-up, doing nothing?

(2014-05-16, 02:33)Dougie Fresh Wrote:
(2014-05-16, 00:18)plasmasnake Wrote: My Athlon 5350 + Asus AM1I-A are arriving Tuesday. I received my Realan E-I7 case, and they sent me the black one instead of the silver one that I asked for. Sigh... At least it looks nicer, but I wanted silver since it would hide scratches better. I got the USB 3.0 panel, so I guess I'll need to grab an adapter off of ebay since the motherboard doesn't have USB 3.0 header ports.

I just looked and I only have the black left otherwise I'd be willing to swap you. If you want a USB2.0 front panel instead I can help you with that.

I have 5350 with ASUS MB and after quite of work my temp is 52-57C based on Asus fan expert.My case is mini-itx (small one) with enviroment temp around 20C
(2014-05-17, 04:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Yes, anything 12V with a 2.5mm * 5.5mm tip (what picoPSUs use) will work.
Thanks! I sent off an e-mail, I'll see if I work out a solution with them first.

(2014-05-17, 18:50)LazerBlue Wrote: Just a suggestion, but have you tried using a different power cord to power the AC power supply? I've had power cords that were defective before brand new out of box. I used to bang my head against the wall trying to figure out why they things weren't working, and finally trying a new cord and it worked.
I actually did try 2 other cables which I know are working (since I'm using them). Thanks for the suggestion.
(2014-05-17, 04:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote: The 120W AC adapters have always been very solid. I haven't had a single one returned. A few 84W have had issues but I think they were being pushed too hard. I replace them no questions asked (well, ok I help diagnose by asking questions but you know what I mean Smile). My E-i7 also has an upgraded 180W internal DC-DC powerboard with all solid caps. The default model doesn't.
Really glad you mentioned this. They're going to send me a new AC adapter (hopefully the original one was just a rare lemon), and I took the opportunity to upgrade to the 180W board with solid caps (Edit: Really just for peace of mind). Here's to hoping that I'll finally have a working system once it all arrives.
(2014-04-29, 16:08)vrienduinen Wrote: Is anyone using the DC-In on the ASRock AM1H-ITX? I am interested in this but want to know how it works. Does anyone know of other ITX boards with DC-in?

i'm using that kind of dc, everything works well. It's enought for everything i need even for pci-e dvb-s2 double card.

(2014-05-10, 18:44)stammie Wrote: Ok I tried it out for you, I don't have any 1080i or 720i sources but on 576i live tv and 720p and 1080p files I got 0 dropped frames

hi

how do you measure it? i want to do that kind of tests on Ubuntu.
(2014-05-20, 13:19)rewizja Wrote: hi

how do you measure it? i want to do that kind of tests on Ubuntu.

Press the O (letter not number) button on the keyboard when a video is playing and you will get various bits of information displayed
Does anyone know the overall height of the heat sink and fan for the Athlon 5350? Thanks.
(2014-05-23, 16:19)cncb Wrote: Does anyone know the overall height of the heat sink and fan for the Athlon 5350? Thanks.

First hit on Google "AM1 cooler height".

http://www.silentpcreview.com/AMD_Athlon_5350

"The heatsink measures 55 x 55 x 22 mm (L x W x H) and the fan is a slim 50 mm model screwed on top with a 2 mm gap in-between, making the total height 39 mm."
Thanks. It's too bad that they made it so big especially since it is only 25W. It won't fit in the small case my Intel G620T is currently in.
(2014-05-23, 18:01)cncb Wrote: Thanks. It's too bad that they made it so big especially since it is only 25W. It won't fit in the small case my Intel G620T is currently in.

100% agreed. It's very frustrating. It should have been 28mm (1U) max. The smallest cases I have, 28mm (1U) is what's expected to have everything fit.

I am hoping for some aftermarket HSFs here soon.
I would like just to report that I have replaced my Atom/ION HTPC (2GB DDR3 1300) with AMD Athlon5350 (4GB DDR3 1600). Ubuntu has been upgraded from 10.4.4LTS(32bit) to 14.4LTS(64 bit) with no problems. Some applications had to be reinstalled, and AMD Catalyst was note installed by default (usefull for 1080p). HDDs remained the same. Due to 3 HDDs, and DVD, the system remained in mini-ATX case. The APU/system temp is 39-45 C, after 24h under full load.
First, the HTPC is now far more responsive with Athlon.
Second, the Flash work as it should (no wrong colours).
Thirdly, the overall power consumption (under maximum load) is about 14W less with Athlon (despite the fact that Atom had lower TDP, even if we count the ION).
Finally, the cooler fan is considerably less noisy on AM1 than ION.

Alltogether, this made me happy indeed.
(2014-05-26, 20:37)Kvisko Wrote: I would like just to report that I have replaced my Atom/ION HTPC (2GB DDR3 1300) with AMD Athlon5350 (4GB DDR3 1600). Ubuntu has been upgraded from 10.4.4LTS(32bit) to 14.4LTS(64 bit) with no problems. Some applications had to be reinstalled, and AMD Catalyst was note installed by default (usefull for 1080p). HDDs remained the same. Due to 3 HDDs, and DVD, the system remained in mini-ATX case. The APU/system temp is 39-45 C, after 24h under full load.
First, the HTPC is now far more responsive with Athlon.
Second, the Flash work as it should (no wrong colours).
Thirdly, the overall power consumption (under maximum load) is about 14W less with Athlon (despite the fact that Atom had lower TDP, even if we count the ION).
Finally, the cooler fan is considerably less noisy on AM1 than ION.

Alltogether, this made me happy indeed.

XBMCbuntu also works great with AM1, actually XBMC really flies with this CPU and my ASUS MB.
A great choice for everyone that needs a media player.
Ok so I have an asus AM1I-A with the Athlon 5150, 2GB Kingston 1600mhz Sdram.....32GB SSD 3GB/s.....Mini ITX case 300w PSU

Xbmcbuntu will run full 1080p HD with out a hitch, however when using the BBC Iplayer or ITV plugin I'm unable to get any playback. (X cursor on screen jumps back to home screen)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit XBMC 13.1 simply fails to load after installation. (Failed to start screen)

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix these issues Huh

P.S. I have had Skyrim running on this rig at fairly high settings....the output is comparable to the Xbox360 version.

Cheers
(2014-06-06, 21:48)xalderaanx Wrote: Ok so I have an asus AM1I-A with the Athlon 5150, 2GB Kingston 1600mhz Sdram.....32GB SSD 3GB/s.....Mini ITX case 300w PSU

Xbmcbuntu will run full 1080p HD with out a hitch, however when using the BBC Iplayer or ITV plugin I'm unable to get any playback. (X cursor on screen jumps back to home screen)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit XBMC 13.1 simply fails to load after installation. (Failed to start screen)

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix these issues Huh

P.S. I have had Skyrim running on this rig at fairly high settings....the output is comparable to the Xbox360 version.

Cheers

Well all I can tell you is on my 5350 based Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit system XBMC 13.0 loads and plays just fine, sorry I haven't tried 13.1 yet, could it be a lack of RAM causing the issue? I have 4 GB installed and after a fresh boot with not too much installed I have 45% of my RAM used.
BBC Iplayer works just fine on this system, are you in the UK? If you are I suggest posting a log in the Iplayer thread for some help.
And sorry I can't help with ITV Player as I don't use it.
Hi, I just reinstalled the graphics drivers via AMD Catalyst and XBMC on windows 7 64bit. Everything seems to be ok now. The original driver I used was direct from the Asus website which maybe incompatible with XBMC.
This is where I downloaded the update from which fixed my problem

http://www.amd-drivers.com/download-Rade...64bit.html

Still working on the Xbmcbuntu Iplayer issue......I'll look into the lack of RAM situation, many thanks for your help :-)

Just to add further to this discussion, there's a great piece of software called RT 7 Lite which can slim down your copy of Windows 7 and leave you with a streamlined windows installation. Ideal if you only want to run XBMC as it reduces cpu and ram requirements.
Just to add further to this discussion, there's a great piece of software called RT 7 Lite which can slim down your copy of Windows 7 and leave you with a streamlined windows installation. Ideal if you only want to run XBMC as it reduces cpu and ram requirements.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3