• 4(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
(2014-04-19, 20:57)d0ogie Wrote: On the other hand, if you don't care about 4K or H.265 or XBMC Next (>Gotham) or playing Super Mario Bros 3 on your client, then this might be an excellent fit particularly in terms of cost for a server-backed, "thin" client build.

If and its still a big if AMD support this platform in the future the beauty of it should be that when you need to upgrade it should just be a case of taking out the old APU and putting in a new one rather than throwing away you mobo and CPU as you'd get with the soldered options.

I'm not usually an early adopter of PC hardware but thought I'd take a punt on this as it fits my needs right now and might well be easily upgraded in the future
Thanks for all the feedback , Time to order me some hardware .
(2014-04-24, 17:22)P-I H Wrote: I have built an HTPC with an ASUS AM1M-A motherboard and an Athlone 5350 CPU.
XMBC version is XMBCbuntu 13 beta.

This is working fine with 1080P and PCM, Dolby and DTS audio formats. However DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD have dropouts and occationally some noice.

After I installed a GeforceGT520, all audio formats are OK.

Were you able to capture and debug logs during the issues so that the XBMC could maybe debug and see if there is a path to resolution?
HTPC(s): All running LibreELEC
  • AMD 2200G APU on Gigabyte AB350N-Gaming WIFI-CF
  • RPI3 x2 | RPI2 x2
NAS: FreeNAS (Latest Stable) | NFS/CIFS
(2014-04-24, 17:22)P-I H Wrote: I have built an HTPC with an ASUS AM1M-A motherboard and an Athlone 5350 CPU.

This is working fine with 1080P and PCM, Dolby and DTS audio formats. However DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby True HD have dropouts and occationally some noice.

Great! Thank you!

(2014-04-24, 17:54)ibeleaf Wrote:

Good to know, thanks! Looking to use XBMCbuntu myself.

How much memory is installed? I'd imagine 4GB is enough?

Me too I have order the same components and I am waiting to be delivered. (with 4GB Corsair 1600)
@pyrodex

I will fix logs during the weekend and post them in "[beta] Xbmcbuntu 13 Testing Thread"
Is anyone using the DC-In on the ASRock AM1H-ITX? I am interested in this but want to know how it works. Does anyone know of other ITX boards with DC-in?
Here's an article about it from 2 days ago.

ASRock AM1H-ITX: One Of The Best AM1 Mini-ITX Motherboards

It seems only the MSI board had problems and all the others ran fine with their drivers in Windows and Linux.
Picking one of these up to replace my aging Acer Revo, Does anyone have a suggestion for a case? Any would they run emulators fine ie. SNES, Megadrive maybe a bit of MAME nothing fancy.
For those who can wait, a higher performance lower power successor to Kabini is already on its way this year:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/...esh-Kabini

Since the price of Kabini is pretty low, I might still buy now. Still interesting to see what's down the road.
Ya I'm excited to see it be replaced so quickly.

It's too bad the power consumption numbers are from marketing slides. I'll wait to see the pricing/power consumption numbers before I jump on the train but it looks great and Kabini was already a great chip so I have high hopes. Crazy to see AMD be this competitive after being a joke for awhile.
(2014-05-01, 16:29)ibeleaf Wrote: For those who can wait, a higher performance lower power successor to Kabini is already on its way this year:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Processors/...esh-Kabini

Since the price of Kabini is pretty low, I might still buy now. Still interesting to see what's down the road.

(2014-05-01, 18:21)tential Wrote: Ya I'm excited to see it be replaced so quickly.

Well kabini did come out last year, the am1 platform is new. This still doesn't take into account how well amd will support the am1 platform or the availability of beema for htpc use.
Just a quick heads up for anyone building an AM1 rig and using Windows and is dumb like me, I spent a good while last night trying to figure out why I had a good 35-40 Mbps missing from my internet connection,
I eventually traced it to AMD Quick Stream which I didn't notice installing when I last updated the Catalyst drivers, DOH!
i have a short question to the owners of a am1/Athlon 5350 system. i want to use windows 7 or windows 8.1. can the cpu/gpu handle the highest quality video settings? that means (for me) vectoradaptive deinterlacing and lanczos3 resize (via shader, the normal lanzcos3, not the "optimzed" versions). thanks in advance!
(2014-05-08, 14:48)Ed76 Wrote: i have a short question to the owners of a am1/Athlon 5350 system. i want to use windows 7 or windows 8.1. can the cpu/gpu handle the highest quality video settings? that means (for me) vectoradaptive deinterlacing and lanczos3 resize (via shader, the normal lanzcos3, not the "optimzed" versions). thanks in advance!

If you tell me how to test those I'll be happy to give them a try for you and let you know, all I can tell you for now is that my 5350 with Windows 7 handles deinterlacing from my tv stick in XBMC's settings just fine and apart from a bug in XBMC (but not in other players) which I've posted about before with some uncompressed blurays my box has handled everything I've thrown at it so far.
(2014-05-08, 17:56)stammie Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 14:48)Ed76 Wrote: i have a short question to the owners of a am1/Athlon 5350 system. i want to use windows 7 or windows 8.1. can the cpu/gpu handle the highest quality video settings? that means (for me) vectoradaptive deinterlacing and lanczos3 resize (via shader, the normal lanzcos3, not the "optimzed" versions). thanks in advance!

If you tell me how to test those I'll be happy to give them a try for you and let you know, all I can tell you for now is that my 5350 with Windows 7 handles deinterlacing from my tv stick in XBMC's settings just fine and apart from a bug in XBMC (but not in other players) which I've posted about before with some uncompressed blurays my box has handled everything I've thrown at it so far.

ok. at first look at catalyst control center under video/quality for automatic deinterlacing. disable/unmark this and put the slider below to right/vector adaptiv deinterlacing. this forces va-deinterlacing. within xbmc enable dxva2 and set render method to dxva. set the % value below the render metod to 0 or 10%. play livetv or video and go to the video settings (in confluence the navigation bar below). set deinterlacing to auto, deinterlacing methode to dxva best and scaling/resize to lanzcos3 (not the optimized one). set "save this settings for all movies". restart livetv/movie or xbmc. test some 720p or 720i or 1080i contend and press button "o" while playback and look for "dropped frames".. thanks in advance!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3