AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
ertman Offline
Positive note, I have been running the am1b-itx with the 5350, and it seems to work very well. Any issues I seem to have experienced has been related to using windows as my OS, so with obvious adjustments and work a rounds it seems to be working as well as I can expect.

I have it paired with a flirc, and with keyboard wake bios and flirc settings activated, I can not only wake the computer from sleep, but can also start the htpc from an off position.
find quote
Menrad Offline
(2014-07-12 04:18)Jeadm Wrote:  General observations, the UI seems a tiny bit more sluggish than I remember the Q9550 (I can live with that). Forget passthrough audio with DTS-HD MA or True HD (yeah I know, but I had to try it), snap crackle pop. Switched off all passthrough settings and watched Man of Steel 1080p MKV last night; audio seemed fine but I had to turn up the gain as I was full blast on the system volume and it still came across unusually quiet on the Onkyo. That seemed to work without issue, I didn't notice any hiccup other than moving through the timeline.

Hi,

I'm considering building an ITX with the same APU as yours, and I would like to know what is the problem with HD audio passthrough ? Isn't it possible to bitstream DTS-HD-MA to a receiver with that kind of build ? My old APU AMD E350 is capable of doing so. I may have misunderstood what you meant, though.

Thanks for your insights Wink.
find quote
Jeadm Offline
(Yesterday 17:36)Menrad Wrote:  I'm considering building an ITX with the same APU as yours, and I would like to know what is the problem with HD audio passthrough ? Isn't it possible to bitstream DTS-HD-MA to a receiver with that kind of build ? My old APU AMD E350 is capable of doing so. I may have misunderstood what you meant, though.
For me, passthrough HD audio with either DTS-HD-MA or True HD was no go with the onboard APU using OpenELEC. I put an old HD 5450 graphics card in there as a quick fix and it was resolved. It really wasn't what I wanted but it works good that way for me right now. I don't know if your experience will differ with other flavors of XBMC since I've only used OpenELEC with the Athlon 5150. I considered trying the APU alone with Win7 just to tinker but I really don't want the hassles Windows brings.

A few posts back stammie said he prefers the video quality of the IGP to the HD6450 (employing a "workaround" to play uncompressed blurays), but I don't know if he's referring to OpenELEC and/or bitstreaming HD audio, and haven't had time to dig into what his fix entails (he didn't elaborate).
find quote
Menrad Offline
Ok now I understand. Thanks. I'm using win7 in my current HTPC because I need to run Totalmedia HD Theater (it can play my old HDDVD's) and XBMC on the same OS.
Hopefully I won't have any problem bitstreaming under Win7.
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 19:45 by Menrad.)
find quote