• 10(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
Positive note, I have been running the am1b-itx with the 5350, and it seems to work very well. Any issues I seem to have experienced has been related to using windows as my OS, so with obvious adjustments and work a rounds it seems to be working as well as I can expect.

I have it paired with a flirc, and with keyboard wake bios and flirc settings activated, I can not only wake the computer from sleep, but can also start the htpc from an off position.
(2014-07-12, 04:18)Jeadm Wrote: General observations, the UI seems a tiny bit more sluggish than I remember the Q9550 (I can live with that). Forget passthrough audio with DTS-HD MA or True HD (yeah I know, but I had to try it), snap crackle pop. Switched off all passthrough settings and watched Man of Steel 1080p MKV last night; audio seemed fine but I had to turn up the gain as I was full blast on the system volume and it still came across unusually quiet on the Onkyo. That seemed to work without issue, I didn't notice any hiccup other than moving through the timeline.

Hi,

I'm considering building an ITX with the same APU as yours, and I would like to know what is the problem with HD audio passthrough ? Isn't it possible to bitstream DTS-HD-MA to a receiver with that kind of build ? My old APU AMD E350 is capable of doing so. I may have misunderstood what you meant, though.

Thanks for your insights Wink.
(2014-07-23, 17:36)Menrad Wrote: I'm considering building an ITX with the same APU as yours, and I would like to know what is the problem with HD audio passthrough ? Isn't it possible to bitstream DTS-HD-MA to a receiver with that kind of build ? My old APU AMD E350 is capable of doing so. I may have misunderstood what you meant, though.
For me, passthrough HD audio with either DTS-HD-MA or True HD was no go with the onboard APU using OpenELEC. I put an old HD 5450 graphics card in there as a quick fix and it was resolved. It really wasn't what I wanted but it works good that way for me right now. I don't know if your experience will differ with other flavors of XBMC since I've only used OpenELEC with the Athlon 5150. I considered trying the APU alone with Win7 just to tinker but I really don't want the hassles Windows brings.

A few posts back stammie said he prefers the video quality of the IGP to the HD6450 (employing a "workaround" to play uncompressed blurays), but I don't know if he's referring to OpenELEC and/or bitstreaming HD audio, and haven't had time to dig into what his fix entails (he didn't elaborate).
Ok now I understand. Thanks. I'm using win7 in my current HTPC because I need to run Totalmedia HD Theater (it can play my old HDDVD's) and XBMC on the same OS.
Hopefully I won't have any problem bitstreaming under Win7.
(2014-07-23, 18:20)Jeadm Wrote: A few posts back stammie said he prefers the video quality of the IGP to the HD6450 (employing a "workaround" to play uncompressed blurays), but I don't know if he's referring to OpenELEC and/or bitstreaming HD audio, and haven't had time to dig into what his fix entails (he didn't elaborate).

I thought I'd posted about this bug I have on my system earlier in the thread, without looking back I'll briefly repeat it,
I'm using Windows Ultimate 64 bit as my OS, some but by no means all uncompressed bluray files have on initially playing them broken and messed up video, I've narrowed this down to VC1 files but again its not all VC1 files just some of them, my workaround is to press the up arrow and jump forward 10 minutes, wait a second then press the down arrow and jump back 10 minutes.
This is an XBMC/driver issue on this hardware as the same files that have this fault play perfectly on other players, MPC-HC for example.

I can't comment on DTS-HD or HD-MA passthorough as my amp is only 5:1 and only has optical and coaxial inputs so my 5350 HTPC uses the spdif port on the mobo, although I did have to turn on "enable Dolby Digital transcoding" in the settings to get HD-MA files working
I've ordered a MSI AMA1I and an Athlon 5350, I'm going to try passthrouh with this combo, under Win7 or win8.1. We'll see what happens Wink.
(2014-07-11, 11:23)Mandraxbmc Wrote: Have you found the answer yet shiro ? I to am interested in this board purely for the SPDIF for my amp
Asrock replied to my question...board do not support simultaneous output via HDMI and SPDIF. Only one at a time.
Thx for the info shiro
I got a 5350 with the Asus mobo running Kubuntu. Very much impressed so far, quite a punch for such a little cool toy (*really* cool! I'm wondering, can't I just leave the fan unpowered? It's not even warm under load.) Initially, performance was lackluster with the Nouveau driver, but installing the AMD Radeon driver made a huge difference. It can even run Trine 2 at 720p! (at a barely playable ~18 FPS, but still!)

I've two gripes though:

1. I get a lot of audio crackling through HDMI, specially when using Chrome, but analog audio works just fine. It's plugged to a Sony Bravia TV. Anyone else suffers from this?

2. I haven't got the hardware accel working in VLC, or anything else for that matter. According to VLC_GPU_Decoding I should use VDPAU, though I only have VA-API in the options. Enabling VA-API in the vanilla VLC 2.1.2 actually causes around 20% lost frames, while disabling accel drops only a few at the start (testing with Big Buck Bunny 1080p MP4) and the rest plays almost flawlessly; almost: most of the time audio goes AWOL when seeking...

I also tried with VLC 2.2 from the ppa:videolan/master-daily (so the amazing VLSub would work again), but then I get choppy playback whether I enable or disable accel! While I research how to get VAAPU going, have any penguin lovers got VLC working with hardware accel?
Mandraxbmc -> I have found workaround about multiple audio outputs :-)
I have created two profiles in xbmc, one with setting to output audio via HDMI, and other with set output through optical SPDIF. If I want basic stereo audio on my LCD TV through HDMI, just log in in first profile. And if I want surround sound from my av receiver connected by optical SPDIF, I just log in with other profile. XBMC can replicate setting of one profile to another, so you not need to configure all from scratch in another profile.
So this is probably most easiest way to quick change audio output device in XBMC.

Otherwise, I have this new HTPC with Asrock AM1H-ITX, athlon 5350, 1x 64GB SSD and 1x 1TB HDD, and it working just fine, running openelec. Boot ist very quick, taking only 10-15 sec, or so. No stuttering, lagging. CPU load ist about 5-10% when playing Avatar bluray rip 1080p.
Guys try this for switching audio outputs

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=199579

@Chemtox I think the only way you'll be able to get video acceleration is with the radeon OSS drivers and vdpau... From what I've read amd's proprietary driver is pretty crap in that area.
I've just made my new XBMC HTPC. MSI AM1I and Athlon 5350.

It works under windows 8.1 with XBMC Gotham.

I was able to make audio HD passthrough work after some troubles. It just needed the right options activated.

The only thing I don't like is not XBMC related : CPU Fan is too loud, very noisy. I had to install speedfan to make it quiet.

I use Aeon MQ5 skin, it's very smooth. Aeon Nox was kind of sluggish.

Everything else seems to be alright.
Hmm, on my Asrock AM1H-ITX, I have not hear the fan. Even after few hours of playing videos. Try som bios settings of your board like cool n quiet or fan regulation profiles (like automatic, full speed, quiet) - if you have them in your bios.
I tried but I can only adjust sysfan from bios, no cpufan control.
If all else fails, these do a nice job of quieting noisy fans and they're cheap: http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Pro...hp?Idx=223
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3