• 13(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
I think that too...

The only thing that's holding me back, is that there are some reports that HD audio passtrough in J1900/J2900 doesn't work with Windows. That will be a big issue, because my receiver support HD audio.
Hi all!

I've read through this thread since I'm interested in buying such an AM1 platform for my XBMC HTPC. What I read so far is very convincing but it seems that everyone bought the Athlons 5150 or 5350. Is there anyone who has one of the Sempron APUs installed together with XBMCbuntu or a build based upon a minimal Ubuntu installation with AMDs Radeon OSS drivers and who could share its experience? Thanks!

If nobody uses a Sempron I would like to hear some opinions whether or not it is a useful piece of hardware in conjunction with XBMCbuntu and Radeon OSS. While I think that the graphic is no problem at all I do wonder if the CPU part, especially that of the Sempron 2650 with its two cores, could be too weak for some skins, video formats etc.
I chose Athlon over Sempron because I wanted to be sure that I could read Blu-ray discs without any trouble. My old E350 could'nt read some discs due to his lack of power.
I guess many of those who choose Athlon have concerns about power.
Hi all, I've just set up a new PC for HTPC:
Asrock AM1B-ITX, AMD 5350, AData DDR3 1666 4G *1, Plextor M6S 128G, Antec Eco Neo 400W PS

Unfortunately, I have same problem like Dougie Fresh did, I've done a couple of fresh installs Win 7 X64 SP1 and tried AMD Catalyst from the Asrock disk( 13.250) and 14.4 from AMD web, but all crashed then reboot, even the Catalyst_13.352_whql_windows_apr9_2014 from Asus official web gave the same result. After boot into the windows, crashed a bit later for no reason. And, after I remove the AMD VGA driver to the Microsoft standard VGA driver in Windows SafeMode, the problem all gone.
Do you think it's software problem or hardware problem, if hardware, CPU problem or Motherboard problem?
Thanks in advance. Any suggestion are appreciated.
I do not know what your problem may be, but it sounds like it is a hardware or hardware configuration problem, where I am unsure. For reference, I have the same motherboard, APU and OS, and I have not experiened the issues you described.

Asrock AM1B-itx
Athlon 5350
4gb G.Skill Sniper at 1600mhz
64gb Adata SSD
Pico PSU
Windows 7 64bit

(2014-08-13, 13:54)nadlerchen Wrote: Hi all!

If nobody uses a Sempron I would like to hear some opinions whether or not it is a useful piece of hardware in conjunction with XBMCbuntu and Radeon OSS. While I think that the graphic is no problem at all I do wonder if the CPU part, especially that of the Sempron 2650 with its two cores, could be too weak for some skins, video formats etc.

I do not know if the Sempron was going to be powerful enough and i wanted to make sure I would not have issues with playback due to APU weakness. From early reviews, the only differences seemed to be processing capabilities and price, power consumption differences were small to negligible, so I opted for the 5350.
I have read through all of the posts and i just want to add my two cents. i have build a system with the Asus AM1i-A mobo and the AMD Sempron 3850 quad core 1.3GHz processor and all i can say that this little beast is wonderful. I am running it with an SSD with windows 8.1 fully updated and everything you throw at it it handles superbly. I can stream even the HD Channels on XBMC without drop frame or any lag. I initially made the mistake of following one of the online guides about tweaking windows 8.1 to make it faster and found that this caused it to stutter if i was switching from say watching an online stream to something else. i corrected this by just using windows 8.1 as is and since then it has been smooth sailing.

The reason i chose this mobo/CPU combo was for the great power consumption. Here in Jamaica electricity rates are very high and i found that my previous build (AMD A4-5300 with MSI A55M-E33) was affecting my power consumption.

All in all the AM1 platform is great and in my opinion can do a lot more than a lot of people think.
Spent most of this weekend building a XBMC server on a new AM1 Linux box and I could use some tips / help finishing the setup.

watch gallery

Here we go:

AMD Athalon 5350 2.05 ghz Kabani processor
ASRock AM1B-ITX motherboard (wanted more than 2 sata controllers)
Corsair 4 gig stick of of DDR3 1600 ram
Transcend 250 gig SSD
Western Digital Red 3 terabyte hard drive
In-Win BP671 mini-ITX Case with 200 watt psu

AV system with UMC-1 processor and 7.2 surround system.

Software:
Xubuntu 14.04
XBMC 13.2 Gotham
AMD Catalyst fgrlx 14.6 beta driver for Ubuntu

Let me start by saying that without tweaking anything I couldn't get XBMC to work with HD audio passthrough without constant frame lag and hisses/pops from speakers.

Tweaks:

AMD Catalyst 14.6 beta driver. Went through the install half a dozen times to compile it for ubuntu before I had all the missing packages installed. This patch worked wonders not only for XBMC, but for the entire operating system. Everything just ran a lot smoother especially when logging in and logging out.

Removed pulseaudo since it doesn't support passthrough audio in XBMC.
sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio

Configured XBMC to use my UMC-1 processor (shows up in XBMC under audio output devices). Enabled HD passthrough for every audio format. Enabled hardware acceleration for MPEG-4 under video.

Results:

Pixar Partly Cloudy - Dolby Digital EX: No problems playing video or audio.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Dolby trueHD - receiver shows trueHD 5 channels when playing.

Video for the most part pretty smooth, but it did stutter whenever there was an audio problem.
Actor dialog - No problems. Smooth video playback and sound clarity.
Scenes with special effects - Video stutters with pops and hisses from main speakers.

TRON Legacy - DTS Master Audio - Will be testing this tomorrow.

I think I know what the underlying problem is..

I don't think the channels are mapped properly in ALSA for this AMD SOC Chipset.

I think right side + right rear and left side + left rear channels are being merged which floods the processor and results in pops and hisses. The linux box is then thrown out of sync which creates some video lag.

I ran some testing using aplay, alsamixer and speaker-test.

aplay -l shows 2 cards and 3 devices.

Card 0, device 3 is HDMI - This is the HDMI port
Card 0, device 7 is HDMI - Pretty sure this is the S/PDIF optical port
Card 1, device 0 is Realtek - On board controller on motherboard

aplay -L shows all the sinks and this is where things start looking wrong..

surround71 and most of the sinks are going to the Realtek device. I don't think this makes a difference, but it is not mapped correctly.

speaker-test -c 8 -D hw:0,3 registers as PCM - front left, front right, center, right side, left side, right rear, left rear and lfe on my receiver which is good.

What isn't good is that I don't get any sound out of Right Rear, Left Rear and the Subwoofer. The output looks like:

Front Left
Center
Front Right
Right Side
Right Side << should be showing Right Rear
Left Side << should be showing Left Rear
Left Side
LFE

speaker-test -c 8 -D hw:0,3 -m FR,FC,FL,RS,RR,LR,LS,LFE registers as PCM - 3/2 + LFE on my receiver and I get output from all the correct speakers except right side and left side.

speaker-test with -D hdmi gives the same results

speaker-test with -D default or -D surround71 both fail with unknown device errors.

Basically I need to figure out how to get all these digital streams mapped to the proper channels in Xubuntu before letting XBMC run with them..
Fglrx is garbage and you won't get any hardware acceleration with it. Use the radeon oss driver instead.
(2014-09-29, 11:54)davidtlee Wrote: Spent most of this weekend building a XBMC server on a new AM1 Linux box and I could use some tips / help finishing the setup.

watch gallery

Here we go:

AMD Athalon 5350 2.05 ghz Kabani processor
ASRock AM1B-ITX motherboard (wanted more than 2 sata controllers)
Corsair 4 gig stick of of DDR3 1600 ram
Transcend 250 gig SSD
Western Digital Red 3 terabyte hard drive
In-Win BP671 mini-ITX Case with 200 watt psu

AV system with UMC-1 processor and 7.2 surround system.

Software:
Xubuntu 14.04
XBMC 13.2 Gotham
AMD Catalyst fgrlx 14.6 beta driver for Ubuntu

Let me start by saying that without tweaking anything I couldn't get XBMC to work with HD audio passthrough without constant frame lag and hisses/pops from speakers.

Tweaks:

AMD Catalyst 14.6 beta driver. Went through the install half a dozen times to compile it for ubuntu before I had all the missing packages installed. This patch worked wonders not only for XBMC, but for the entire operating system. Everything just ran a lot smoother especially when logging in and logging out.

Removed pulseaudo since it doesn't support passthrough audio in XBMC.
sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio

Configured XBMC to use my UMC-1 processor (shows up in XBMC under audio output devices). Enabled HD passthrough for every audio format. Enabled hardware acceleration for MPEG-4 under video.

Results:

Pixar Partly Cloudy - Dolby Digital EX: No problems playing video or audio.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - Dolby trueHD - receiver shows trueHD 5 channels when playing.

Video for the most part pretty smooth, but it did stutter whenever there was an audio problem.
Actor dialog - No problems. Smooth video playback and sound clarity.
Scenes with special effects - Video stutters with pops and hisses from main speakers.

TRON Legacy - DTS Master Audio - Will be testing this tomorrow.

I think I know what the underlying problem is..

I don't think the channels are mapped properly in ALSA for this AMD SOC Chipset.

I think right side + right rear and left side + left rear channels are being merged which floods the processor and results in pops and hisses. The linux box is then thrown out of sync which creates some video lag.

I ran some testing using aplay, alsamixer and speaker-test.

aplay -l shows 2 cards and 3 devices.

Card 0, device 3 is HDMI - This is the HDMI port
Card 0, device 7 is HDMI - Pretty sure this is the S/PDIF optical port
Card 1, device 0 is Realtek - On board controller on motherboard

aplay -L shows all the sinks and this is where things start looking wrong..

surround71 and most of the sinks are going to the Realtek device. I don't think this makes a difference, but it is not mapped correctly.

speaker-test -c 8 -D hw:0,3 registers as PCM - front left, front right, center, right side, left side, right rear, left rear and lfe on my receiver which is good.

What isn't good is that I don't get any sound out of Right Rear, Left Rear and the Subwoofer. The output looks like:

Front Left
Center
Front Right
Right Side
Right Side << should be showing Right Rear
Left Side << should be showing Left Rear
Left Side
LFE

speaker-test -c 8 -D hw:0,3 -m FR,FC,FL,RS,RR,LR,LS,LFE registers as PCM - 3/2 + LFE on my receiver and I get output from all the correct speakers except right side and left side.

speaker-test with -D hdmi gives the same results

speaker-test with -D default or -D surround71 both fail with unknown device errors.

Basically I need to figure out how to get all these digital streams mapped to the proper channels in Xubuntu before letting XBMC run with them..

Very nice KEF setup you've got there pal
Optoma HD Projector, Panasonic TX-P65VT65 Plasma, Pioneer SC2023 AVR, Kef Q65 main, iQ8ds rear, XQ2C centre, XBOX 360 Elite, Samsung LE40C650, SKY HD, Lutron Lighting, Crestron AV2 control

(Server)CPU - AMD Phenom ii 560, MB - M4A78LT-M, 32GB Corsair SSD, 4GB Corsair DDR3, 6x 1.5TB HDD's

XBMC Clients x2 (DSPlayer)
My plan tonight is to:

A. Test out Tron Legacy which is a 7 channel DTS-HD Master Audio mkv file.

B. Capture ALSA debugging results using steps from:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53708

C. I did try the OSS Radeon drivers, but they didn't perform well.

1. Tried 14.4 AMD Catalyst driver. Release Version.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/de...=Linux+x86

2. Tried installing OSS Radeon driver, but didn't see any performance improvement using the steps below:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=174854

Didn't see Kabani / Radeon HD 8xxx series listed under supported hardware for OSS Radeon.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

3. Downloaded and compiled latest 14.6 Beta driver from AMD which lists Ubuntu 14.04 as supported.

Major improvement in XBMC after that install.

4. Just noticed that AMD updated their released FGLRX driver yesterday to 14.9.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles...Notes.aspx

Will try that tonight.

5. Will give OSS Radeon another shot if I got time left tonight.

I still think the problem is with the ALSA config which I need to tackle first..
Not sure what you are talking about.

With fglrx all your videos will be decoded on the CPU only. This will max out your CPU and you will see drops, stutter.

Try OpenELEC 4.2 from an USB stick and see what is possible on nowadays linux.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I'll give OSS Radeon another shot. Did some more research..

Kabini - Radeon HD 8xxx is not on Ubuntu's support list and there are a lot of questions out there whether the OSS drivers work.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

But I see Kabini listed at xorg.

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/#22

with some required configuration settings..

Kernel 3.4 required
Requires loading radeon with the audio parameter set to 1 (e.g., add radeon.audio=1 on the kernel command line in grub).

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/xserver-xorg-video-ati

Worst case scenario is if I have to compile this code from scratch if Ubuntu doesn't have the latest Xorg build incorporated.
Ok got through all my tests. Still think the problem is with the ALSA config.

Right Rear and Left Rear just aren't working and are being routed to Side Right and Side Left.

Pretty sure this messes up any passthrough going to the AVR. MultiPCM works because I think XBMC is merging Right Rear and Right Side before passing it to the AVR.

I don't have any system sounds on my desktop either and no option to pick an output device when playing youtube videos through a brower since I disabled Pulse Audio. Need to figure how to default audio to HDMI.

$ aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662 rev1 Analog]

$ speaker-test -c 8 -D hw:0,3 and speaker-test -c 8 -D hdmi both give the same results:

speaker-test 1.0.27.2

Playback device is hw:0,3
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 8 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 16 to 4096
Period size range from 8 to 2048
Using max buffer size 4096
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 4096
0 - Front Left
4 - Center
1 - Front Right
7 - Side Right
7 - Side Right << This should be showing Right Rear. Sound ends up coming from Side Right
6 - Side Left << This should be showing Left Rear. Sound ends up coming from Side Left
6 - Side Left
5 - LFE
Time per period = 23.809145

Tried re-installing OSS Radeon drivers and got rid of FGLRX, but this created more problems. I don't think this OSS Radeon driver is optimized for this chipset yet..

A. HItting the logout button in Xubuntu takes 3 minutes of waiting around before it actually logs out.
B. More hisses and pops when running trueHD and DTS MA Audio in passthrough mode. CPU usage remains under 25% for all 4 cores.
C. A lot cleaner when running PCM, but eventually the system starts to hiss and pop again. Core #3 is pegged at 100% while the other 3 cores are under 25%.
D. AC3 Dolby Digital Passthrough just doesn't work at all. No sound at all and no signal to AVR.
E. XBMC shows output device as something like @@@Generic.

Reinstalled FGLRX version 14.9 drivers.

A. All passthrough formats work and registers properly on the AVR.
B. Still get a lot of hisses and pops running passthrough, but ironically most of the hisses and pops disappear when XBMC's OSD is in front of the video. (YouTube Video Link at bottom)
C. PCM appears to run just fine and doesn't degrade over time. I guess I'm stuck with this mode for a while.
D. All 4 CPU cores are all running between 25% and 75% whether I'm running passthrough or PCM.
E. XBMC show output device as UMC-1 which is the name of my AVR.

In all cases I cannot get any sound out of my Right Rear and Left Rear speakers..

Still think my AVR is freaking out because of the merged speaker signals.

Here's a video of my XBMC test using FGLRX 14.9 and DTS HD 7 Channel Master Audio. Notice most of the hisses and pops go away when the XBMC OSD in on top of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyH-br0dd...YA0Urk5Gqw
Start OpenELEC from an USB stick and give that a try, absolutely nobody wants to help you using a broken by design fglrx driver.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Learned ALSA today..

Got default sound device working with a asound.conf file to use HW:0,3 as my default device.

Found a known bug with speaker-test as well.

http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermai...68516.html

Got all 8 speakers working with correct sound using a correct channel map.

Looks like there is going to be some type of conflict with:

SL/SR (side left / side right) and RL/RR (rear left / rear right)
RL/RR (rear left / rear right) and RLC/RRC (rear left center / rear right center)

$ speaker-test -c 8 -m FL,FR.RLC,RRC,FC,LFE,RL,RR

speaker-test 1.0.27.2

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 8 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 16 to 4096
Period size range from 8 to 2048
Using max buffer size 4096
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 1024
was set buffer_size = 4096
0 - Front Left
1 - Front Right
2 - Rear Left Center
3 - Rear Right Center
4 - Front Center
5 - LFE
6 - Rear Left
7 - Rear Right

Looking over XBMC's AudioEngine codebase right now to see if there are similar mapping conflicts.

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...nkALSA.cpp

From my eld$0.0 file I got:

eld_version [0x2] CEA-861D or below
edid_version [0x0] no CEA EDID Timing Extension block present
speakers [0x7f] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR RC FLC/FRC RLC/RRC
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3