• 14(current)
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion
Tried OpenELEC and it runs faster, smoother, but with the same problems.

Only real improvement is that under DTS-HD MA pass through I'm getting the correct sounds out of my 7.1 rear speakers finally even though it comes with hisses and pops.

Had to turn vpau and vaapi on for mpeg-4 for PCM to not stutter.

Don't think the drivers in conjunction with Ubuntu are mature enough..
(2014-10-03, 23:25)davidtlee Wrote: Tried OpenELEC and it runs faster, smoother, but with the same problems.

Only real improvement is that under DTS-HD MA pass through I'm getting the correct sounds out of my 7.1 rear speakers finally even though it comes with hisses and pops.

Had to turn vpau and vaapi on for mpeg-4 for PCM to not stutter.

Don't think the drivers in conjunction with Ubuntu are mature enough..

0-5min:
Unpacked hw
5-20min:
Built the htpc
20-35min:
Installed w8.1 +xbmc
35-45min:
Installed drivers
45min until now:
I've enjoyed my FULLY WORKING am1 build.
Have you tried using a Debian Sid install and working from there davidtlee? I'd recommend Arch Linux as well if you want to try it. The radeonsi driver would be a custom install for both Debian and Arch Linux but it can done:

Debian:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...post424508

Arch Linux:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&..._Search=Go
Tried Arch, but the install was a bit complex and it didn't start up correctly after the install.

Re-installed Ubuntu and upgraded the Linux Kernel from 3.13 to the same 3.16 kernel in OpenELEC.

I got sound from my rear speakers now in HD passthrough, but with pops and hisses.

I think I'm just gonna have to wait until drivers and such catch up to this chipset.

Did a lot of tweaking using PCM instead. Had to set video to 1080P at 60hz to eliminate audio sync and video tearing issues. 24hz playback should be smoother, but that wasn't the case so there is probably some bug with audio synching.

Basically it's a no go right now with passthroughs for both HD audio and 24hz video.
I plan to switch back to a silent linux box. Is the AM1 platform the way to go?
Most important points for me are:
- 1080p@24 fluid playback
- HQ upscaling (VDPAU-hq or at least lanczos3 optimized)

All these worked with my old nvidia VDPAU box, but I don't know, if the A4 has enough power for these needs

Thanks
zehner
(2014-10-07, 14:42)zehner Wrote: I plan to switch back to a silent linux box. Is the AM1 platform the way to go?

All these worked with my old nvidia VDPAU box, but I don't know, if the A4 has enough power for these needs

Thanks
zehner

I setup an AM1 system this past weekend. I literally unpacked the parts, put them together, installed arch, installed xbmc, and was watching tv/movies in less than 2 hours. It is running very well so far. Is there anything you'd like me to test?
I can confirm what metalliax said (h264 at 100mbps bitrate is the max this apu can handle) , but you can't play flawless 720p/1080p on youtube.
(2014-10-08, 18:48)metalliax Wrote:
(2014-10-07, 14:42)zehner Wrote: I plan to switch back to a silent linux box. Is the AM1 platform the way to go?

Thanks
zehner

I setup an AM1 system this past weekend. I literally unpacked the parts, put them together, installed arch, installed xbmc, and was watching tv/movies in less than 2 hours. It is running very well so far. Is there anything you'd like me to test?

Thanks for the feedback

@metalliax
Do you use a HQ upscaler for your SD material without frame drops? Nearest neighbour and Bilinear are working on all boxes, but the image quality of VDPAU-HQ, Lanczos3(-optimized) and Spline36(-optimized) is considerably better. XBMC has great looking upscalers(XBMC Wiki), but most boxes in this price range (Android, Celeron, ...) can't use them. This feature separates the wheat from the chaff (at least for me).

@wolfynwo
Is HD material on Youtube still watchable? I could live with a few frame drops, but XBMC without the Youtube plugin is only half the fun
For me it doesn't play well on 720p or 1080p on youtube. There is a bit of lag, but watchable. I even tried on W8.1,Ubuntu,openelec and mint on chrome,opera,ff browsers and same problem: youtube is not fluent. I have a 5350 with Asus AM1M-A mainboard.
Maybe someone else could check if the problem is just for me or it is for all of us.
Ok I found the problem! Youtube was using HTML5 and after i switched back to flash, everything is flawless on 1080p !
I was going to say HTML5 will be a LOT hevier then running Flash for youtube. Make sure you switch Youtube to flash then retest it. HTML5 on youtube SUCKS for weaker systems hence why I prefer to use flash and hate the fact that Youtube has switch to HTML5. Glad Firefox on PCLinuxOS on my old intel pentium dual core e2180 2ghz and 2gb of ram and a 220 gt uses Flash by default for me still. Youtube works fine but running an HTML5 video and it just slows to a crawl and is unwatchable. System makes a great HTPC but the only issue I have is the size of the desktop based HP. AKA Mid tower based system. I would prefer something a lot smaller like a chromebox. Just don't have hte money around for a replacement yet what with the fact that we are getting a new house this winter all money is going towards that.
I've just brought an Asrock AM1B-ITX board and can't get it to boot/ do POST, I wander if anyone can help.

Using a 60W PSU from an older ITX case which has the 20pin ATX header.
4GB Crucial DDR3 1600 Ram module (tried on both slots)
5350 am1 processer
Crucial M500 120GB SSD with no OS yet
HDMI cable to TV

Trying to boot from a USB stick with Ubuntu (tested to boot ok on my laptop)

So when I switch on power, the Power LED lights up, mouse LED lights, keyboard numlock, capslock flash briefly and the CPU fan twitches, bit nothing happens after that. TV just displays 'no signal'

Pressing F11 or F8 several times after power on does nothing.
It might be broken. I had a similar issue with an ASRock FM2+ board, and it was replaced by the store where I bought it.
Does anyone use a pico psu with this Board AM1H-ITX is it possible ? The reason i ask is theres no place for the 12v plug
I think this is possible http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1732860
| myHTPC |
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD AM1 SOC Platform Discussion3