File/TV Server: Windows vs Linux
In particular, I'm looking at a solution with Windows8 Storage pooling vs FreeNas (or alternative). TV Backend will also be on here, so either MediaPortal/Argus or TVHeadend.

The need for storage isn't massive, 3-4 2TB drives would do me, but a bit of redundancy would be nice. I currently have a DLink NAS with 2*2TB drives in RAID1.

I'm much happier in a Windows environment than I am Linux, but I am reasonably happy with messing around in Linux. Storage pooling looks simple enough, and would suit my needs - but I can't help but think a small linux server would be a little more reliable?

Thoughts?

Thanks Smile
I run windows 7 on an AMD fx8150. As far as hd's go....I run 2 sets of drives in a raid aray (most mb will support). as each array fills, I remove them, place one in storage and place the other back in server on another port. works well and you always have backup for everything. I am up to 10 HD's in PC so far with 4 of those in raid array. If one ever dies, I just buy another to replace it and pull the backup from the closet and copy over. Also handles WMC pvr server, and serviio and Next PVR solution to feed live tv to 2 old xbox's as well. Doesnt even break a sweat.
I was running a Linux file server, however without it quickly became a chore to manage due to my lack of knowledge. What I thought were simple tasks turned into wild goose chases for information, etc. I moved to a normal Win7 installation running FlexRAID and have been pretty happy. I was able to start with just a few drives and add as necessary (currently at 10TB). Recently I've been doing a hardware refresh of the drives and it's been as simple as copying files from the old drive to the new and replacing it.

As far as performance, it's been more than capable of serving up content to 6 installations of XBMC handling LIVE TV streaming as well as other ways of consuming content for viewing as the same time.

The Live TV streaming is what put me off to the Linux installation. Mediaportal has been easier to configure and served my needs well.
Thanks both, I think I'm leaning towards a windows installation just because I'm so familiar with it - plus if I opt for a shared SQL library I'm pretty familiar with MS SQL so that would be easier too.
Minimal Ubuntu (or whatever version you want).
Webmin for administrative tasks.
MHDDFS for Drive Pooling.
SnapRAID for redundancy.

Cost? FREE
I use unRAID for a number of servers. It's a great fit for XBMC media serving duties - and offers a good balance between drive redundancy (it can have a parity drive which will allow you to reconstruct all data if one drive fails - but every data drive is still readable independently so if you lose more than one drive you only lose what is on the lost drives, not the whole array) There are also TV Headend plugins that allow you to run a TV Server on the platform. Probably better for DVB than ATSC - though there is some ATSC support in TVHeadend.

unRAID is mainly controlled through a web interface - and there are not usually any driver issues to worry about (you should use hardware that is known to work with unRAID - but there are lots of users who post their results) It's almost as quick to install as OpenElec!
(2014-04-10, 11:08)Scottland Wrote: In particular, I'm looking at a solution with Windows8 Storage pooling vs FreeNas (or alternative). TV Backend will also be on here, so either MediaPortal/Argus or TVHeadend.

The need for storage isn't massive, 3-4 2TB drives would do me, but a bit of redundancy would be nice. I currently have a DLink NAS with 2*2TB drives in RAID1.

I'm much happier in a Windows environment than I am Linux, but I am reasonably happy with messing around in Linux. Storage pooling looks simple enough, and would suit my needs - but I can't help but think a small linux server would be a little more reliable?

Thoughts?

Thanks Smile

this thread caught my eye because i am in the same situation i think linux would be a good idea for a server but my lack of knowledge and frustration trying to what are simple tasks on windows in linux has driven me back to windows my current server is running Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64 and it works well the reason i have not upgraded to Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 is simply the machine is old and is not driver supported on some hardware

I am in the process of building a new server in which i will be running either Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 because they simply just work

(2014-04-10, 12:35)proline Wrote: I run windows 7 on an AMD fx8150. As far as hd's go....I run 2 sets of drives in a raid aray (most mb will support). as each array fills, I remove them, place one in storage and place the other back in server on another port. works well and you always have backup for everything. I am up to 10 HD's in PC so far with 4 of those in raid array. If one ever dies, I just buy another to replace it and pull the backup from the closet and copy over. Also handles WMC pvr server, and serviio and Next PVR solution to feed live tv to 2 old xbox's as well. Doesnt even break a sweat.

I do a similar thing i don't run a Raid array but i do run windows 7 and what i do is in one of my computers there is a built in HDD dock on the case so i put a identical size drive in there then do a incremental mirror backup over the network from the server then when done i remove the drive and store in an anti-static bag on a bookshelf

then when i get a fair amount of new stuff or every week or two whichever comes first i put the drive back in and repeat the process this way i have a identical copy of the files kept on a drive offline away from risk of power surges or anything and in the event of a drive dying i would do the same process take out the dead drive put the backup in then get another drive of same size and perform a new full backup of those files i then have two copies again

no rebuilding arrays or anything like that just simply the time it takes to swap out a drive then the backup can be performed overnight if it is large like 2TB+
debian server with samba and nfs

rsync script to mirror data drives to other drives

simply and efficent

BHH
HDConvertToX, AutoMKV, AutoMen author
FreeNAS is pretty straightforward, but I don't know if there are plugins for the tv backends. I use FreeBSD personally because Linux just wasn't tricky enough for my liking. If you are okay setting up things like nfs or samba shares in linux already, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch for you to figure out mysql and a tv backend, but getting the equivalent of storage pooling going on linux might be an adventure.
If you want to use Windows 8 for storage space for drive pooling I would be careful. I believe I read Windows 8 storage spaces HD when detached from a pool needs to be reformatted. I'm not 100% where i read it but I would look into that. For Windows you also have Stable bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File/TV Server: Windows vs Linux0