• 8(current)
Default skin
(2015-01-30, 11:21)Prof Yaffle Wrote: So, Nate, it seems we need:

1. A touch-sensitive skin that's perfect for use with a mouse, dedicated HTPC remote and generic TV remote via CEC/lirc

2. A horizontal menu that isn't too small, contain all the options but doesn't wrap while also being vertical because horizontal is passée

3. Something that's modern and flat while simultaneously retaining a glassy, highlighted, transparent, 3D feel

4. A skin that works well in all light levels, from bottom-of-a-mineshaft dark to Miami-Beach-in-August bright

5. Something that remains usable from 4" screens at 60cm to 60" at many metres

6. Something that's clean and functional while also showing every single media item you own on the screen at the same time, with full fanart and metadata in all views

7. Something that runs as well on an octacore i7 as it does a clockwork 80286

... are we getting close? :-)

Haha Big Grin But to be serious, does the default skin have to be full of compromises to work on every device from 3" phone to big-ass home theater screens? In my vision there should be one skin with a simple "desktop/10-foot/tablet" selector in skin settings (could it be even preset depending on the device?) which makes it optimized for every device. Adding a few themes would please everyone who's into that modern flat design with bright colours while us stubborn transparent glass lovers wouldn't run away holding back puke. The default set should have as few moving parts as possible, but there should be a lot of settings and script compatibility to tinker with. Maybe the settings level control could be extended to skin settings as well? Confluence and Re-Touched are both great, but differ a bit too much from each other to confuse a first-time user.

My Confluence Stripped skin mod is a big confusing mess and far from optimal, but there you can see the idea I have in mind. Making the Home Menu horizontal in 10-foot ui but vertical for touch screens and adding a few simple button bars and panels for touch usage makes a world of difference in usability while keeping the basic concept exactly the same. I haven't had a look on the performance side, would the tons of conditional includes have a big effect on RPi?
Hi, it would be nice for the next Kodi release to change or redesign the default Confluence skin to modern flat design and get it ready for 4k too.
(2015-02-09, 17:17)MarhyCZ Wrote: Hi, it would be nice for the next Kodi release to change or redesign the default Confluence skin to modern flat design and get it ready for 4k too.

merged. one thread is usually enough ;-)
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
I still want to see that modded Confluence that bryan posted pics of!
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
(2015-01-26, 20:50)Piers Wrote: And here's a very simple texture mod for one screen - only textures changed. It makes a difference.

New

Current

Freshens it up for sure. Looking forward to this one.
I'm not a big fan of flat but I have to admit that the after looks really slick.mid loved to see a full mod like that.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
@Piers, it occurs to me, now that you are a team member, you could finish the texture mod and suggest it as the new Kodi default pretty easily. (Though I'd like to note that I'd personally like just a touch more transparency in the interface.)
(2015-04-06, 11:32)natethomas Wrote: @Piers, it occurs to me, now that you are a team member, you could finish the texture mod and suggest it as the new Kodi default pretty easily. (Though I'd like to note that I'd personally like just a touch more transparency in the interface.)

I'd like to see that as well. His work really made Confluence look much more modern. I also agree on a touch of transparency. It can still be kept flat and have a bit more elegance with transparency like Windows 10 does.
Piers, have you made done a full mod of Confluence with your texture changes? I'd like to try it and I'd love to see it in Isengard. The old Confluence just looks really dated.
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Default skin0