• 2(current)
'DITisTV' violating XBMC's GPLv2. Refusing to share source
(2014-07-15, 11:40)Shenkie Wrote:
(2014-07-15, 10:09)schumi2004 Wrote: I don't even understand why people buy those overpriced stuff but that's me.
Nice example though on how XBMC is dragged in to something illegal and promoted as such.

(2014-04-10, 20:31)DITisTV Wrote: On our productpage we link directly to the GPL license which is posted on our website; http://ditistv.nl/openelec-gpl-licentie/
We also freely distribute the image of our install. All of our images are also freely available on our website.
Both claims are falls, gpl license link is dead and didn't find the images used.,

They remodeled their website and all GPL stuff including the images disappeared.

On facebook they claim it's not an update it's a totally new OS and that's why you have to pay. Previously they stated that all future upgrades will be free.

again, distasteful and deceitful
So they created a new OS within a few weeks were the XBMC team is working on for the last couple of years, yeah right!

Quote from their website:
Quote:De DIT is TV Box is powered by Raspberry Pi & OpenELEC-XBMC. Raspberry Pi een handelsmerk van de Raspberry Pi Foundation.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...=1&theater

Take a look at this, it's in Dutch, but they are saying: We are using a payed version of XBMC.........this is crazy > > stalk them!
Ban them, no respect for the developers and only to make profit
Quote:We are using a payed version of XBMC
I don't know what a "payed version" is, but there is nothing wrong with selling XBMC. The GPL2 has always allowed this.

But if they distribute XBMC or software derived from XBMC they are obliged to provide the source. That is the issue, not the fact that they charge.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
They state they have a special 'bought version' from us which is why they can't give it for free - this is complete nonsense.

They do not have to provide free updates to their modifications, but they ARE obliged to provide sources.

Obviously, not telling your customers complete nonsense helps with establishing trust.
Hello,

I've just taken a look at their website, they stated the GPL license and at the bottom they provide their image of the openelec they use.

https://ditistv.nl/openelec-gpl-licentie/

Is this what you are looking for?

EDIT: this is one of their older versions.

EDIT2: In their "new" OS they use openELEC. as seen in their manuals. Seeing that the openELEC project is completely GPL licensed, it's nothing but nonsense that they can make their software proprietary. I have no clue what happens if you break the GPL license. But on the other hand, customizing openelec and selling images and a raspberry pi is childsplay really. ( but that' not the point! )
It's also child's play to release the source.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
True that, but they sell it for 30 euro per copy.
Also, how about this little gem:
(2014-04-10, 20:31)DITisTV Wrote: We use OpenELEC as the base of our install.
As far as we know, we follow all guidelines set by OpenELEC + XBMC.

But on their site they claim:

"DIT is TV The One; ons geheel eigen besturingssysteem", which translates into "DITisTV The One; our wholly own operating system", as in 'proprietary'.

There's a mighty fine contradiction to establish how trustworthy these guys are. Trying to turn a profit on other people's ignorance, this sickens me.
In the manual that they are having, it shows screenshots of openELEC. and how to log into your wifi. they do NOT have their own OS.

They are selling free software, which is not a problem. But they say they are not using it, while they show screenshots that they DO use free software. and they refuse to share source code.
Are you saying that they are selling the source for 30 euros? They are allowed to charge but that seems excessive.
They have 2 versions of their software.

1 "older" version which they release for free. Image only. no pre compiled source code.
2 "newer" version, in which there is no source found. When asking for source they point at the older piece of software.

Their "newer" version is for sale for 30 euro's including a 8gb SD card containing it. Still, no pre compiled source code.
(2014-07-18, 23:36)Toofle Wrote: They have 2 versions of their software.

1 "older" version which they release for free. Image only. no pre compiled source code.
2 "newer" version, in which there is no source found. When asking for source they point at the older piece of software.

Their "newer" version is for sale for 30 euro's including a 8gb SD card containing it. Still, no pre compiled source code.
There must be someone that bought it and willing to share it?
I'm convinced we will find OpenELEC there.
(2014-07-19, 14:04)schumi2004 Wrote:
(2014-07-18, 23:36)Toofle Wrote: They have 2 versions of their software.

There must be someone that bought it and willing to share it?
I'm convinced we will find OpenELEC there.
The manual shows screenshots of openELEC. it's 100% there.

Edit:
On their website at terms. In dutch. There is written.

Kopieren van de bijgeleverde software is verboden. Deze is eigendom van DIT is TV B.V. . Bij overtreding behoudt DIT is TV het recht om een bedrag van €1000,- per overtreding in rekening te brengen.

Translated into:

Copy the supplied software is prohibited. This is owned by DIT's TV BV . When the offense retains THIS TV is entitled to an amount of € 1000, - to charge an offense.

They claim that the software they provide is their property. Which is not. They are turning openELEC free software into their own proprietary software. I'm a big upholder of free society software. And i would like the world to release more free software. But how this company calls their stolen work their own is ridiculous.
I dont mind them selling it. But i do mind is that they do not abide the gpl licens nor do they credit the creators.
Sue the bastards.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
'DITisTV' violating XBMC's GPLv2. Refusing to share source2